1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Exhaust Mods?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 240sxer, Aug 23, 2007.

1. turnerdhr

turnerdhr HellaFlush(TM) Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1" diameter pipe going into the exhaust is a serious choker....!

.......... so any suggestions...?

would love to at least change the muffler to something from the JDM... maybe a Skunk2 muffler? or tanabe...? would this affect the airbox air ratios etc...

1 person likes this.
  2. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think it was mentioned already earlier, but I doubt that the stock Prius muffler/piping poses any significant restriction unless you've got the accelerator floored.

I'm pretty sure the exhaust pipe is at least 1 1/2", could be 1 5/8", anyway.

Not too long ago, I noticed that somehow the stock resonator -> muffler pipe (the one that takes 2 ~90* bends to get to the muffler) had somehow caught up on something and was basically crushed to the point where there was probably a significant restriction in air flow.

Even then, we never noticed any issues or lack of power.

When we had it repaired by a local muffler shop, they replaced the damaged section with one that takes two shallower ~45* bends. At least in theory it should flow a bit better, but again, no before/after difference felt. Attached are a couple pics.

If you're going to bother to replace the cat-back muffler/piping, I'd recommend you also replace the pipe like I did with something similar. 2" piping and any 2" "straight through" muffler (I like Magnaflow products, myself) should be more than enough for the stock engine and less than 100hp it can pump out. Get the largest muffler you can fit in the space to minimize noise - seriously consider getting one that is not quite straight through (has a bend in the pipe) to further reduce noise since straight through mufflers can be quite loud (though have never heard a modified Prius).

Attached Files:

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FWIW, there is a "Tom's" (JDM) stainless steel exhaust system
    at Sigma Automotive for the Gen II, .

And here in all it's sordid glory is the infamous PintoGirl,
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/39810-fart-can-has-arrived.html thread.

Enjoy!

[Edit: the above thread has been inactive since Feb 2008.
    PintoGirl has not been an active member even longer :( --
    PintoGirl where are you? We miss your informed irreverence.
    I cited the thread for information/entertainment purposes only.
    If you want to ressurect the whole "fart can" thing, please use a
    currently active thread, like this one... or start a new thread!] :p

4. Speedsta

Speedsta Mr. Bulb

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im also looking for an exhaust. Noone tested the granador?

5. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Then stop going to the local malls and what not where high schoolers are rolling around in their Civics. My MR2 Turbo sounds deep and nice. Plus I got the turbo spool and BOV to make you wet your pants as well.

6. 2007-Prius-hybrid

2007-Prius-hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont care if you dont like it

If Toyota thought it would help MPG and performance, they would have installed it new OEM

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a little thread revival?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the idea of a nice sounding exhaust for the ICE, it would be quiet when running on battery but have a nice growl when you hammer it. Kind of like putting a cut-out on on a regular exhaust.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I like the idea of a nice sounding exhaust for the ICE, thank goodness it came that way from the factory. It is so nice not to be embarrassed about how much noise your car makes.

10. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's one of the great things about living in the United States, we can all love different things and be able to change things to make us happy if we wish.

Many times the sounds of things are a very important part of the experience. The sounds of a loud car can either be a nice sound or a retched sound. On the other hand, the sound of a very quiet car can be great or considered dangerous if you are blind.

I love the choice we have.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, freedom of speech allows us to remind you that if you wanted a riced out Civic, step one would have been to buy a Civic.

Riceing out a Prius is in my not so humble opinion, is just wrong. I am all in favor of tinting, I fully understand that we will all need to buy new tires and lights eventually, there are a number of handling mods that make sense, and I entertain the idea of performance mods for the engine. (I am a secret fan of a 201 volt electric supercharger)

I am generally repelled by 'aero' kits that are less aerodynamic than stock, exhausts that just add noise, lights that don't light the road well, handling add-ons that make it handle worse, etc.

But it is just my opinion and while I can state my opinion, I can't make it your opinion.

12. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An interesting sound clip from car and driver.

13. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ugh, old people acting old.

Adebrettski likes this.
  14. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *anxiously awaits arrival of my Tanabe prius exhaust"

15. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get ready, bro.

[​IMG]

16. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet, I'm wanting to get their exhaust for my 2010. I'm currently running straight exhaust after the EHR resonator. It's an awesome sound, it's loud but it sounds great but after 3-4 months it's becoming annoying. Need something a wee bit quieter.

17. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ganador P.B.S new style:

Ganador testing showed an increase in 9.7% mileage, +17hp and +4.2kg/m.

18. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There was another test in a magazine where they drove 150km, installed the Gandador System and drove the same route under the same conditions again. The result was 10.2% increase in mileage.

IMHO, this exhaust is made of stainless steel and doesn't rust. The tailpipes look good and adds some style to the rear end. And it increases mileage plus power in the top end. Unfortunately the sound is also upped by 7 dB what is a lot but I like to have the extra 17hp power when overtaking turtles on the autobahn or driving uphill on higher speeds.

Will see if the sound/noise is annoying or I can life with it as it may only be loud when power is needed.

Addendum: I just noticed that this exhaust is now sold by Toyota dealers in Japan ! There must be a demand for it.

- Roger

19. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I, for one, applaud the OP's efforts and expense to reduce the amount of noise in the world. Personally, I have trouble justifying the expense of quieting my car.

20. green4u

green4u New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any more links or info on the ganador system? google search came up negatory.