1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius experts, please lend me your brains! Help needed!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kolski, Feb 6, 2018.

1. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello everyone! I'll try to keep this concise.

I own a 2008 Prius with 117,000 miles and I live in Maine. I have a couple of issues with the car that I'm hoping I'm able to fix with some assistance from you wonderful people.

I purchased the car two years ago from a co-worker.
    Problem #1: Soon after purchasing the car it seems to have the headlight problem where sometimes the passenger side light will go out, but if I flick the lights off and on, it comes back. I was parked today with the car on and the engine not running, and I noticed the light was off. I decided to do the off/on to see if it would come back on, but it didn't. I then turned the heat on in order to get the engine going, and I then tried the off/on flick to see if it would come back, and it did. It seems as though the light goes off with more frequency now.... Not really sure why, but I feel like I see it off more often when looking at the reflection from the rear end of cars in front of me.

Problem #2: Once winter really hit in Maine I began noticing that my MPG went from 46 in the summer to about 36-38 currently (I didn't really notice this the previous winter). I also experienced several instances of my battery going dead, but the funny thing is that I didn't always need a jump-start to get it going. Sometimes I would just try starting the car 3 or 4 times and it would eventually come on, which seemed very odd to me. I checked the diagnostic screen from the display within the car and the 12v seemed to be quite low (7-8v). This prompted me to purchase a new 12v battery about one month ago, and my car has not died since, but the MPG is still low (36-38).
    I'm really hoping my HV battery is not starting to poop the bed, but I'm not sure how to tell..
    On top of all this, I feel as though the numeric display on my dashboard has more prominent black lines coming through. As in, the brightness of my dashboard seems slightly diminished (The green lighting does not seem bold in its color. I can see a hint of black lines coming through.. is this normal?).

Thank you for your time!!!!

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. You may have a partial contact problem with the headlight circuitry. Have that checked.

2. Temperature increases, and sloppy terrains affects HV battery performance.
    It appears to me the battery might be going weak already. Is this the first time you've being experiencing this, or ? If its your first, your battery might be gradually having its way out.

Do you notice the HV fans coming on more often, and does the ICE cones on too?

Check the fans and make sure, it vents at the rear isn't blocked or covered with god hair, or something?

Dxta

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MPG is stinky in winter...the good news is I think the cold helps the battery live longer. Our car has not had the head light prob because we have the cheaper regular headlamps (not HID).

4. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    GENTLEMAN, LEND ME YOUR EARS! .... sorry had to do it.
    [​IMG]

Mendel Leisk, Bunce and pilotgrrl like this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a 2008 and it had the HID headlights. The light going out is a sign the bulb is going bad. HID lights are more like a florescent light in the fact they have no filament. There is a ballast located in the bottom of the headlight assembly that fires the HID bulb and if the headlight gets water in it it shorts out the ballast. I replaced several light bulbs and one ballast. After you did a few you are a pro. If you have to remove the headlight assembly like I did it becomes a quick job also but not the first time like anything else being cautious you don't break anything.

We have been below zero here lately and with cold and snow your gas mileage is normal, your numbers are similar to what I got when it was really cold. It would be a different story if they stayed there when the temperatures rise.

Your display may be a because of cold weather also. If you ever used a tablet or cold cell phone the screens don't work as well in cold weather either. Again I would wait until the temperatures moderate and not get too excited until then.

Make sure you keep your tires pumped up especially in winter. Good luck.

HID headlights were my #1 complaint about my 2008 Prius.

johnjohnchu and pilotgrrl like this.
  6. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The car not starting 2-3 times in 1-2 weeks had me thinking it was the 12v, and I haven't had any issues with it dying since. The only thing that concerns me is the MPG.
    I guess I don't know much about the HV fans. Is this just something I listen for?? How do I check these fans to make sure they're venting properly?
    On the highway the ICE is on the entire time, which I assume is normal..

7. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. I can't really make assumptions about the MPG until the warmer months arrive.

Any recommendations on where to purchase an inexpensive Bulb?

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The originals are very expensive and there should be some good knockoffs out there by now. I just go online like ebay or Amazon and take a chance. The knockoffs I bought worked as long as my originals. The dealer replaced mine under warranty the first time before the warranty expired at 36,000 miles after that I was on my own. I don't remember where I bought them.

9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. You may have a partial contact problem with the headlight circuitry. Have that checked.

2. Temperature increases, and sloppy terrains affects HV battery performance.
    It appears to me the battery might be going weak already. Is this the first time you've being experiencing this, or ? If its your first, your battery might be gradually having its way out.

Do you notice the HV fans coming on more often, and does the ICE cones on too?

Check the fans and make sure, it vents at the rear isn't blocked or covered with god hair, or something?
    It isn't normal for the ICE to be running all the time. This tells me your HV battery might be weak, and the ICE keeps running, to charge it all the time.

In some other instances, if the HV blower fan is clogged with dirt, and so on, it would be difficult for the HV battery to be properly cooled down.

InShot_20161206_102953.jpg InShot_20161206_102717.jpg

InShot_20161206_102422.jpg

In this third picture, the HV blower fan is located to the right of the HV battery as you can see. Where the black plastic tubing attaches to it on the right.

Remove the fan, and inspect it.

That's the likely reason the MPG is somehow poor, because the ICE keeps running frequently.

Do you have some lights on the dash,or on the MFD?

Possible you get it scanned too?

#9 Dxta, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This LED conversion thread could be of interest: HID to LED conversion | PriusChat

If you want OEM or affordable replacements (priced from high to low, quality may follow) :

Hid Bulb - Toyota (90981-20029) | Camelback Toyota (OEM at $110 per each plus S&H)

2007 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.5L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Headlamp Bulb | RockAuto (D4R HID at the bottom, $60+ per each plus S&H)

2X HID XENON REPLACE LIGHT BULBS D1S D1R D1C D2S D2R D2C D3S D3R D3C D4S D4R D4C | eBay (from $12 per pair, free shipping.. even less if shipped from China)

and of course https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_3?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:15730151,k:d4r

OEM may use D4R bulbs in the 4300 Kelvin range, so look for 4300K when shopping, comparing or reading reviews.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    no lights on dash or MFD

12. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does anyone possibly have a link to a good tutorial for replacing the bumper? I've got a new one on the way since mine is cracked..

13. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check YouTube and see

14. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The ICE will run all the time in low ambient temperatures because it will not stay warmed up long when not running. I don't think it's the HV battery. Your HV battery would set a code if it were weak.

iPhone ?

johnjohnchu likes this.
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have replaced the rear bumper twice the front is wicked easy
    Which bumper?

16. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got the front bumper on the way.
    Also, UPDATE: My driver's side headlight went out yesterday for the first time. Normally it's the passenger side that acts finicky, but last night the driver's side went out until I turned the lights off and on.. and then it came back.. thoughts?

#16 kolski, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    padroo likes this.
  17. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get a pair of HID bulbs. I don't like the Chinese ones, I prefer like Advance or Fisher bulbs (Sylvania or Osram). Then I don't have to worry about quality. I believe they are around $100 each but could be had cheaper by searching the part number on ebay or amazon. Just make sure you're getting the actual brand you want and not one that's "just like" OEM. Avoid anything not shipped from USA.

iPhone ?

18. kolski

kolski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The front is pretty easy. Top screws under the black plastic rad cover. There’s a kinda hidden screw
    Under the fender liner. By the tire you can see the top edge of the bumper where it meets the wheel well.
    Pull the inner plastic fender liner back and there’s a bolt under there that bolts the edge of the bumper to the car.
    With that bolt loose grab the edge and pull it off the side mounted track. Give a real good pull.
    Soon as one edge comes off you will see which way to pull it off the track. The track has ribs and the bumper edge has slots that go over the ribs.
    Sometimes the track ribs break off. Old brittle plastic. I always have 2 new tracks ready go go.
    There cheap. I usually break the track ribs when I remove the bumper. There’s also a bolt under the bumper by the bottom edge at the wheel well.
    Rest is just clips under neath.

20. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

If you can wait to fix the headlight until your bumper comes it would be a two for one. Some of the headlight repair videos show how to partially remove the front bumper, like someone said check out YouTube.