1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Extended Qarranty and Rust-proofing, fabric protection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by grannygeek, Jan 6, 2005.

1. grannygeek

grannygeek New Member

[font=Arial:915ad7b627] [/font:915ad7b627] </span><span style=\'color:#\'>
    I have just agreed to purchase a 2005 Prius Package #4. The dealer would like me to purchase an extended warranty (7 yrs, 75,000 miles) for $790 and a total protection package (rustproofing, fabric, etc.). It's either 6 or 7 years, 75,000 miles for $639. I keep my cars forever. current one is almost 12 years old. But I put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Should I purchase these additional products?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, that's a pretty competitive price for the extended warranty. I don't buy them because they are always priced like any other insurance policy, to make a profit for the seller. Self insurance is cheaper.

I would not buy any rustproofing or dealer-applied fabric protection. Cars today are pretty corrosion resistant as they come from the factory and it's far too easy to make seriously harmful mistakes with rustproofing. Almost anyone can buy a $12 can of Scotchgard and spray it on themselves; several people here have remarked on how easy it is to clean spills from the Prius fabric even without any additional protection.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Prius Extended Qarranty and Rust-proofing, fabric protec

I would love to hear from folks in the Midwest. I have not been in Ohio or Michigan for 30 years but back then every one had their cars Z-bart'ed because of the salt on the road. Salt is not used here. Sand is used for ice for snow nothing. What are people doing where salt is being used on the roads?

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Whatever the fabric on the seats is called (I think there's some debate about whether it really is Alcantara), it's great. I haven't had any commercial application of, well, anything, nor have I Scotchguarded it myself. Yet, I was able to get out a chocolate stain (thanks, son!) using nothing other than plain water.

Re rustproofing, the only vehicle I ever owned that I had "rustproofed" actually exhibited rust! The rest faired just fine, heavily salted roads notwithstanding.

Thus, I'd tend to skip the protection package, particularly at that price.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Well, here in the "rust belt," it seems every car or pickup truck older than 4-5 years already has rust starting. The manufacturers have come a long way in rust prevention, but they have a long way to go.

I've had the best luck with Rust Check (Only available in Canada?), which is reapplied every year. Nobody I know has ever had any luck with those "apply once" rust proofing things. You can find more information at:

http://www.rustcheck.com

If you only keep a car for the term of the lease and/or warranty, don't even bother. If you really do keep a car forever, and there is salt used on the roads in winter, it may or may not make sense: If it costs $100 a year to Rust Check, after 10 years (Assuming no inflation) you've sunk $1,000. About what it would cost to fix the rust.

Of course, with modern unit-body cars, once they rust they're usually beyond repair. They become structurally unsound and many around here are sent to the boneyard for that reason. You can't just slap on new fenders and call it good.

I have a 1984 Ford F-150 that I bought new. Up until 1996, when I stopped driving it on the highway, it had yearly Rust Check. Although it needs a paint job, underneath it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. No rust at all.

As far as extended warranties, there are usually enough exclusions in the fine print that you never collect on them.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Considering the hybrid is warranteed for 8yr/100K, and drivetrain for 5yr/60K, all that's left is the body electronics. Be sure that's covered thoroughly.

6K a year on a car is not a whole lot. I personally put about 30-36K a year, since my daily commute is about 100Mi round trip.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My last car was a 1987 Jeep Cherokee that spent it's first eight years in Wisconsin without rust proofing. When I sold it last year it had negligible body rust, two or three little blisters.

Tom and Ray (in Massachusetts, which gets it's share of snow and salt) say it's much better to wash a car thoroughly once a week in the salt season to get all the salty mud off, and not bother with rust proofing.

If you do it please give us updates now and then to let us know how it works out.

8. grannygeek

grannygeek New Member

Thank you to everybody who responded. I purchased the extended warranty (7 years, 70,000 miles), but based on the advice here and personal experience, I declined the rust-proofing - fabric protection package. As of 1/08/05 I am the proud owner of a 2005 Prius, Package 4 (IM), Millennium Silver.

9. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jan 6 2005, 09:45 PM) [snapback]62072[/snapback]</div>
    I lived in Indiana since 1975. We had all our vehicles undercoated by Ziebart. Cost us a fortune. My first car out of college was a 1996 FORD Tempo. I did the rust protection and undercoating.

Well, I still have the car. The interior is immaculate without fabric protection.

There is rust starting to form in the wheel well area. I think that Ziebart did more damage drilling those darn holes in the car. Rust has formed around the drilled hole areas. The holes they drilled for the mud flaps is where the rust probably started.

I drove this car mostly on the IOWA Highways and a lot of it in the winter.

My take is that this "PROTECTION" is peace of mind like insurance. My father-in-law has a 1993 Olds Supreme and it has no rust and no rust protection. Heck, he never waxes it. No Rust. My sister-in-law had a 1986 Olds 98 and it had no rust at all. The paint was all chalky though because she never waxed it.

I think it all depends on how the auto company produces the sheet metal and paints it. Looks like Olds did a good job.

I just got my Prius grey package 4, the complete paint, rust, interior package was offered at $689 from the original $1,299. Talk about PURE PROFIT.

I DECLINED all the protection and I am very particular about keeping my PRIUS new looking.

10. kDB

kDB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jan 10 2005, 05:37 PM) [snapback]62820[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, but how many people really wash their car in below freezing weather. I guess the automatic washes would keep you warm just make sure it's touchless if you like your paint.

11. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grannygeek @ Jan 6 2005, 03:40 PM) [snapback]61973[/snapback]</div>
    I have some friends that work at various dealerships (not just Toyota). I was told by a few salesmen to stay away from rust proofing packages and protection packages as they are just a way for dealerships to make more money..The protection is really not adding much to what you already get...