1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Factory Default Settings?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Three60guy, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Greetings:

Just got my Prius back from the body shop after being rear ended. Wife was at stop sign when big Silverado hit her from behind. My wife appears to be fine.

Anyway, I noticed that the driver side window does not go down automatically when you push (longer) on the window button. This led me to start thinking there might be other factory default settings that have not been looked at.

My Prius is a 2006 Package 8. I just don't want to have to deal with taking it into the dealer each and every time I discover a new setting not set properly.

Does anyone have a list of Factory default settings? My gut is telling me there should be a list a mile long.

I appreciate any help with this.

Cheers

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The window is easy enough...
    Put the window down and keep holding the down button for 5 seconds. The put it up and hold the button up for 5 seconds....that should reset it.

If you've got NAV there are some settings there you'll need to set as you like. Clock needs reset as well as radio presets and such, but I don't think there's anything else...

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fixing the driver's automatic window is easy: lower it all the way, then raise it all the way, holding the button in the down or up position for a few seconds after the glass stops moving.

I doubt there is a big list. When we get a Prius we start modifying the settings, not thinking about what the original settings are. Mostly they are just undefined: no radio pre-set stations, no Home location set, no phone paired, etc. I'd just pretend you got a new car and set it up the way you want it, or rather the way your wife wants it, then set yourself up as User 2...

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reese brings a good point. We should build a list of things for a Prius driver to check/reset after major surgery or a dead battery or whatnot.

So far, we've got:
    - Autowindow up/down
    - Homelink
    - Radio presets
    - NAV settings
    - NAV stored addresses? Can you confirm this, Reese?

5. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Those are all good points you all make. I was not aware that you merely needed to hold the down and up buttons on the window controls to set them for auto down and up. Ya really do learn something every day.

I have already set the radio pre-sets as well as the XM Radio. Oddly, the "Sound" preferences were not "damaged". :)

Items I can think of are these:

* Changing the way the door locks unlock
    * Disabling traction control. (yup, it is an option)
    * Disabling reverse beep
    * Disabling seat belt beep
    * Disabling Smart Key operation

I just got a call from the dealer. They say they do not have a list of items to actually check but rather all the information is contained in their scanner. So, they are going to verify that all factory defaults are set properly. I will try to be there when he does this so I can make a list. :)
    If I get one I will share it here.

Thanks for your input.

6. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Mar 19 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]408615[/snapback]</div>
    Well, here is the update:

There must have been mis-communication between the Toyota tech at my dealer and the Body repair shop manager because when I got there he didn't have any list to go by using the scanner. All he did was use the Toyota scanner, select the model and year then checked whether there were any outstanding codes. There were none. He didn't know how to disable reverse beep, seat belt beep or any of the items above. Or rather he said that would be illegal. He was very interested in hearing my information about the car, however. I got the impression that they don't really have methods to communicate the type of information we share here and we take for granted. I can see why we have a collective gold mine of info here at PriusChat.

Oh, and Evan....yup the drivers side window now goes up and down automagically.

Thanks all for the input.

7. Ralpherga

Ralpherga New Member

Another question on default settings. I have noticed that my Prius gets that "add fuel" warning after I have used about 9 gallons of gas. That leaves about 2.9 gallons in the tank. Is there a way to adjust the alarm so it actuates after I have used 10 gallons of gas. :rolleyes:

Ralph

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, it is not

There is a complicated "dance" to go through to temporarily disable Trac to do a dyno/emissions test. There are many warnings about doing so, including catastrophic damage to the transaxle CVT

We have discussed the pros and cons of doing the Trac disable "dance" at the Trac thread. I won't do it, not worth grenading my cvt to attempt to get unstuck

9. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    replacing the car battery does not reset/clear the homelink garage door openor, and it does not clear your bluetooth phone book, which is cool

i think u just lose your time, radio presets, and the car's knowledge of the way you drive that it secretly keeps, seatbelt and reverse beeps, and trip settings

i do not know about nav i dont have that

the dealer replaced my 12v battery at 20k for free, because it had a bad cell,
    so i have had that expierence

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't do it, you will run out of gas. The U.S. version of the Prius has a gross fuel tank capacity of 11.9 gallons. Note that I said gross, and not net. The usable capacity is closer to 10 gallons, but it varies by vehicle, temperature, age, filling pump, phase of the moon, and religious preferences. I assume I have a ten gallon tank. Some drivers reduce that to nine gallons in the winter. You don't really know for sure, so leave well enough alone, and pay attention to to gas gauge when it tells you to fill up.

Tom

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You also lose your Consumption mileage and mpg as I found out when I disconnected my 12V battery prior to removing the driver's seat.

12. AndyU

AndyU Junior Member

Have you (or anyone ?) disabled traction control? How long have you been driving like that? Any negative consequences? Our 06 Prius's TRAC system is very dangerous in snow conditions. A lot has been said about that. I don't want to argue about whether TRAC is a blessing or a curse, mine IS DANGEROUS in snow. If Toyota can't fix it (and so far they deny its a problem) I want to turn it off for safety when in snow. Failing that, I'm going to have to sell it. Any help/comments would be appreciated.

13. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't think the TRAC can be switched off or disable, it's there for the Hybrid System protection. Low resistance Tires and Torquey Electric Motor are probably the reasons why the TRAC is active more than it needs to be.

If you can't disable TRAC or change the Motor, the only way out is to change tires with better snow-gripping power. It'll surely help to make the TRAC system less scary.