1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius facts to hang your hat on

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very True!

Imagine this test:

Take a Pirus and drive up Mt. Washington. See what kind of mileage you get. Take an 18 Wheeler and drive it down... hmm.. who will get better mileage?? :eek:

Considering he drove 2 different directions, his example is about as useless as mine would be above.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Makes me want to buy a Focus! Satisfaction garanteed or no money back! How can you beat that deal!

Icarus (With thanks to Gary Larson!)

3. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The video was very good and did show an unbiased result in 3 different driving routes. I think Edmunds.com deserve credit for the fairness of that test.
    As for the conclusion, well they don't really need to spell it out do they, but saying it is inconclusive gives Ford a chance to flog some cheapo gas burner that was in a fuel economy test and was only 3rd behind the Prius, so how's that for good FE hey and much cheaper too ??? Yeah, right.

4. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i agree with your conclusion

i also got scangauge and it definitely makes me change my driving habits.
    i get around 49 to 50 miles, stop and go + freeway + hills + california roads with lots of slam the brake or gas pedal idiot drivers.

i think i can get lot more on flatlands, but this beats my (ex)MB 300 E that made 17 MPh on average. that is almost 3 times on fuel economy.

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

very fair and realistic comparison.
    The sad part it the Prius is capable of so much more. Imagine the results with a Prius driver that understands the car, and how to exploit it's ability to extensively travel on no gas.
    And they didn't even point out the Prius is the largest of the four cars, with the most interior space, amenities, comfort, convenience, and gadgetry.

BAM

6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Although a newbie, with only 1800 miles on the Prius, I've only had one 30 minute period in which I got less than 3 5-minute periods averaging less than 50 mpg. I'm averaging 53 mpg. No, I don't do 80 mph on the freeway, but half of my driving is on "non-urban" roads. It doesn't take long to figure out how to drive for efficiency. I suppose I could try to accelerate by 10-20 mph on every hill and then brake to 55 at the bottom of the downhill side. Then I might get 38 mpg.

7. tjs4689

tjs4689 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would also think we need a Hyper Miler version of the Stig!

[​IMG]
    All measure are done for tank fill-ups.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed! I bet even the Stig's African cousin could do better than most hypermilers out there.... :)

[​IMG]

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly the Prius would never make it accross the flatlands of Botswana... Captain Slow's Mercedes was trimmed to the extreme and still sunk in. Our Prii would sink into the primortial ooze and stay there for a few thousand millenia...

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't gather enough strength to shoot holes in my poor car. I don't care how flooded it got trying to ford the Okavango. :(