1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Fast Tirewear - Important Update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Hayes, Apr 17, 2008.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't happen with the Integrity tires. I recently measured all 4 tires and the tread wear was pretty even and there was even a tiny bit more tread in the center than on the edges. This was a very small amount of tread difference overall. I've ran over 44psi for more of the tire life and I've ran over 58psi for at least the last 10k miles. I now run 66/64psi. My tires have over 30k on them.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I estimated a 5-10% fuel economy hit when they were new. I'm confident I've regained some of that now that they are well broken-in, but it's impossible to quantify it.

3. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You folks who are getting good mileage from your OE Integritys, please mention your tire pressures. That is probably the key to getting the maximum wear out of these tires.

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i sent a fax to the service manager its only been 12 hours or so, so he probably hasn't had time to respond to it.

the service advisor at the dealership just said ' ill have someone measure them ' and visually looked at them and said they probably look like they are wearing fine, without actually looking under the fenders!! well anyway they don't seem to help me, they
    want me to get the actual warranty paperwork and call bridgestone and have it looked at a real tire store, and not the dealership, which for some strange reason actually sells tires!!!!!

5. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Holy cow! :eek:

... Brad

6. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not noticeably. Before the switch I was regularly getting 50-54 MPG on the interstates/highways... primarily driven with the cruise control set to 65 MPH. I'm still hitting the exact same range today. In-town driving seems similarly unaffected, although that case is more difficult to pin down since the mileage is a bit more variable just in general.

In both cases, the tires were inflated to 40/38 PSI.

7. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Gosh, somebody who's actually in the running for a Darwin Award!

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    it looks like im going to strike out
    the dealership won't help me and the tire store called bridegestone up and they say
    there is NO MILEAGE warranties on OEM tires. if you purchase a set from a retailer then you can get some kind of adjustment, but if the tires came with the car
    and your tread wears down a little to fast your not covered

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been running pressure about about 44 PSI almost since new and now have 32,000 miles. These integrities will be completely bald on the outside treads by the end of summer with a tad left in the center in the tire on all 4. Only been rotated twice though.

10. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    hmm.. had never read about this before and went out to check my oem tires. They do seem to be worn more than they should for only 22k miles... but not unevenly or bad yet.

11. MT-IL

MT-IL New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I run them about 38 to 40 psi.

I'm over 78k on the originals now. My commute of 130 miles a day ended and now I'm closer to 30 miles a day so it's taking me longer to get to that 80k mark. I'll probably change the tires out in November so I get it done before it starts snowing.

I'm probably self defeating since I read an article on the new sites where tire prices are going sky high. I'd probably been more economical to get new tires 3 months ago.

Anywhoo... still rolling past 78k on the originals... (feb 2006 to now).

12. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  13. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just rotated my OEM Goodyears last night at 60,500 miles. I'm on a 10K rotation, though I slipped a little this time. Both the drivers sides are showing outside corner wear (from each sharing a left front position for 60,000 + miles). The tread wear bars are still not showing, and I feel I could get 10-20K more without trying too hard. My driving is 95% freeway, 450 miles a week, and I have had pressures in the 40/38 range, though last night I bumped them to 42/40, as a response to raising gas prices (what else is new?). It is possible tio get decent mileage out od the OEMs, though it seems some luck is involved. I've never had the alighment checked, and we get very little rain and no snow in LA. I think the long freeway mileages do help the tire wear, as well as proper inflation. I'm looking at Michelein Exalto AS next time around, but I wonder if the Goodyears will actually wear out.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I don't think that PriusChat has ever had "what is your tire psi?" or "how long did your OEM tires last?" polls. (hint)

15. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmmm gas goes up oil goes up rubber goes up tires go up! Tires are gonna get more expensive by a lot.

16. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't say I'm getting good wear from my OEM GY Integrities, probably typical, though. We're nearing 35K (on our '07) and will soon be shopping for new tires. I run the recommended 35F/33R PSI, and rotate almost at recommended intervals (front does wear faster). Where we live (Florida Keys, lots of nails everywhere from lotsa hurricanes past few years) we tend to pick up a lot of nails and have punctures fixed a lot. When the tread gets thin, it's amazing how tiny a nail (or staple) will puncture a tire.

BTW - The low-tire indicators are great -- never had a false alarm from them. When they say a tire is low, we've found a nail in a tire every time; the warning light has saved us from having to change to the spare on the road a bunch of times.

I'm guessing that the type of pavement surface must have a lot to do with tire wear -- nothing else could explain how some folks get 60k+ from the Integrities. Poorly-maintained rough asphalt down here.

The 35k from the OEMs on the Prius beats hell out of 14k on the Toyota Matrix we traded in on the Prius. The Matrix is truly a tire-eater, at least ours was (and we found we were not alone), and Toyota wouldn't own up to a problem... but that's another story.:cool:

17. Five5Six

Five5Six New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was washing my car yesterday and I could have swore it said max PSI of 44. Running 66/64 seems like it would be pretty dangerous? :confused:

18. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agreed. F8L, can you elaborate a bit on running 66/64psi??? Even heavy duty truck tires are typically only 50psi max.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep. Thread rehash. Our Integritys lasted barely over12K miles. Low pressure and hard cornering probably enabled the quick wear too, done by our car's original owner. Now, w/ over 50K on the Hydroedges? You can't even tell if wear has begun yet.

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, heavy duty truck tires nowadays are more like 110 psi. One
    hundred and ten, not a typo.
    _H*