1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius FOB Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KitsuneVoss, Nov 13, 2022.

1. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am kind of old school before this where I would do most of my own work but don't understand a Prius well enough to do major work. Had before this a Mustang and a Ranger. Granted I still have them but now they mostly sit in the drive way. Bought a 2009 Second Gen Prius and going from ~20 MPG to 45+ MPG is really nice.

I have ghosted a bit on this forum and getting many questions answered. I do have a question that I have not seen answered. Black logo remote, not silver logo remote. Need to insert the key to start the car.

Soon after I bought the car, I bought an OEM key fob and got it programed at my local Toyota dealer. Cost about $125 for the FOB and Toyota charged $65 without cutting the key. They wanted $35 to cut the key. I got the key cut at Lowe's.

I did an oops though and the original remote ended up going through the washing machine. Still works to start the car but the remote functions do not work. This is after I tried to dry it out and replace the battery.

New OEM fobs have gotten really expensive, $200+ and Toyota is unwilling to program a non OEM. Ordered a non OEM remote, used the chicken dance to program it, and got that key also cut at Lowe's.Works fine.

What I am wondering is if it is possible to save the old fob? After watching take apart videos for the fob, the chip used to start the car and the remote portion are separate. Could I just simply replace the board and either transplant the chip to a new case or just order a new board? If I can do this, what should I search for to get what I need?

#1 KitsuneVoss, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't think you're black back remote would have a transponder chip I thought it should only have a green board and a battery and rubber buttons The transponder chip that goes down in the lower portion of the remote I thought I understood it to be for the silverback logoed remotes for the SKS function. When you walk up to your car with the remote in your pocket can you just touch the door handle and open the door? Or do you have to push a button on the remote? Do you have a rubber button on your driver front door and on your hatch? And yours is a what year? Is it a tourer w fogs and Nav?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You thought wrong, all remotes have the RFID chip in them. It is the fallback so you can start the car in the event the battery goes flat.
    I guess it would be possible but most likely wouldn't be worth your time or expense. You'd be just as well off buying another fob secondhand and reprogramming it using the chicken dance.
    If you can find one to order.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then the remote I had for an '04 and a half with a black key back no silver It was a tourer w fogs and Nav . The remote worked unlock the doors and the car started but when I took the remote apart to enshrout it with a new plastic and push buttons there was no transponder chip in the bottom of the fob where it is in my '09 silver I thought that was kind of strange myself but I also didn't see the flashing red key whatever that means on my motorcycle that flashing red key means that the bike is locked and the chip is not near and it's waiting for the chip to get near or the key to being inserted in the keyhole then that red light goes out until that key is removed again

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I need to call my buddy up at all lock and key and see what he can do and what he has available there seems to be tons of these things out in the wild in the aftermarket and all of that I can't imagine these places that are popping up left and right to do all this key work to all these remotes even the newer ones with the key built in sticking out all the time etc etc there must be a way to reasonably deal with this because everybody has this problem in the last 15 years. With my Italian bikes you have to have this machine at the locksmith shop called an RD something It can get the data out of the transponder chip so that the key shop can program their own ship to your needs so it works your vehicle It doesn't seem like it should be all that complicated for the Prius considering you can do it to the Cadillacs and all of that. I'm not against paying $200 or 250 for a remote that works or that's been programmed to work or whatever That's not the huge issue that's only a one-time deal for me generally speaking.

6. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My main concern is how many fobs are tied to my car. My understanding is that you have a limit of five? Would have come with two but only got one when I bought it. Had one programmed by Toyota and programmed on myself via the chicken dance. If the original owner(s) had another key made, I may be at my limit for keys.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct there is a 5 key limit on the Gen 2.

You can check how many are programmed easily enough in Techstream and if necessary there are Techstream routines to deleted all keys except the one you're using. You can then add back the other keys you have in your possession.

8. Lost It

Lost It New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What the heck is the chicken dance? Time to use the search forum function.