1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Fob stopped unlocking doors but car starts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Friendlyx, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Basically I have an 06, where i have two key fobs that were working up until a week ago. I noticed that my main fob that i use everyday with the car stopped locking/unlocking the doors when i pressed the key on the remote. However, it had no problems starting the car or if i press the button on my door it'll lock the door perfectly fine. Not only that but to unlock the car i can unlock it by putting my hand on the handle.

I just got a hold of batteries, and replaced them. Nothing, it still won't unlock by pressing the "unlock/lock" button, however, i got a hold of my other spare key and it works fine! I don't know what else to do, since it works fine, and my main key doesn't. Any ideas?

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like a button or two on the keyfob has jammed ON. The keyfob battery will be gone soon.

The best solution is to get replacement cases for your keyfobs. Be sure to move both the circuit board and the transponder chip over to the new case.

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried putting the battery from the one that works into the one that doesnt?

Sometimes batts that you buy, might be old or DOA
    Worth a try