1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius for Dummies

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by beachgeek, Aug 5, 2015.

1. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a 2013 Prius v, first Prius, and I feel overwhelmed. I am not used to all the lights on the center dashboard and find them distracting. Fortunately it doesn't have navigation and apps. Are there any lights I should be particularly concerned with, like that battery symbol? Is there a Prius for Dummies? Help please!

Burna J likes this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Top five things about driving a Prius:

1./ It's a car. Just drive it.
    2./ Work on your instrument scan. Quick Start Guide and Owners Manual are your friends.
    3./ Optimize your driving habits. Scan for the ECO and EV indications.
    4./ Enjoy!
    5./ Economize.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My advice is...hang around here.
    But try to spend some time with your owners manual.

And yes, for a new driver that is feeling overwhelmed?
    My advice is always just drive it as per normal. You don't need to understand EVERYTHING it is trying to tell you, immediately.
    Once you are just more comfortable with the vehicle as a whole, you can start learning what every gauge is telling you, and discerning what you want to pay attention to...and what you want to routinely ignore. After 2 years of ownership, I pay very little attention to the gauges.

The instrument panel and gauges can seem overwhelming, but once you get comfortable and start using them, you'll find there really isn't too much to worry about. I think there's a danger in paying too close attention. The steering wheel and road ahead should always be the priorities.

Aside from any obvious warning lights that would illuminate to warn you of trouble, all you basically need to know is how to turn it on...and how to turn it off..and just drive it like normal.

I think the minutia of what each possible gauge is telling you in specific can be learned or absorbed in time.

Some people actually think the feedback so lacking, as to want ScanGuages for further possible input.

I suppose you'll get out of it, what you want to put into it. But really? No reason to be overwhelmed. Looks much more complicated than it really is, designed to be comprehensive.

beachgeek likes this.
  4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If all else fails, read the manual several times. Once before driving it, and twice after driving it for a while.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Owners Manual is the best "Prius for Dummies". Take it out of the car and put it next to your easy chair. Go through a chapter a day. It's not that hard, most of the displays that you may not understand are there to help you get better mileage, but you don't have to worry about that now or ever.

Here's a condensed version. Read at least 10 pages.

Attached Files:

beachgeek likes this.
  6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :D, Not your father's Oldsmobile!
    Love Apps! For Sale - New 8" Android headunit for pruis Gen 3 | PriusChat

#6 Sergiospl, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I love apps - on my phone, my tablet, etc. On my car, not so much. I don't want to be distracted. Thank you rjparker for the guide. I think it is the hybrid stuff that is the major issue. Otherwise I have been able to look up questions in the manual and figure it out. They failed to tell me how to start it at the dealership so I learned that first time out, thanks to the manual.

Sergiospl likes this.
  8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Continue reading the OM and find a new dealer, pronto!

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #9 Sergiospl, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    beachgeek likes this.
  10. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Perfect! Thanks.

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The only two gauges on the dash that are different are 1 and 5 below. Both are hybrid info only and take care of themseves. 1 tells you the charging mode and 5 is the battery charge level. Nothing to worry about. Setting up the stereo and saving bluetooth settings is about as hard as it gets but just find a teenager for that.
    image.jpg

12. Ben2jz

Ben2jz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Give it gas, change its oil and fluids. Check the tires every now and then. Done! It's just like any other car. Don't let the hybrid get to you. It's still a car. Keep your eye on the gas level and how fast your going. The battery light at full or low won't matter because the engine will kick in and charge it automatically. Only thing to look for is the "engine" light. If that goes off then you can ask for help here or take it to a mechanic.

13. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It is 1 and 5 that got my attention. I'm covered for oil changes for life. Thanks all. I'm feeling more comfortable. I want to just get in and go, not think about the car but all those gauges and lights made me wonder if there was something I was missing. (Computer I can do. Cars I can't.)

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can actually turn 1 off if it distracts you. It's in the writeup.

beachgeek likes this.
  15. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know. Now that I know I don't really have to be concerned about all that the problem will be remembering to check the fuel situation from time to time. ;)

16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Speedometer (2 on RJ's pic) is the only one you need watch, the rest look after themselves. Warning lights and low fuel are accompanied by bleeps, so if you hear any, take a glance across.
    Here in the UK we have the speedo on the HUD so I don't have to look at the dash lights at all.