1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius for Emergency Power

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Randy B, Aug 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With all the storms-fires-floods creating power outages this year, I am surprised not to hear more about using the Prius/hybrids for power. There are 12v solutions for up to 1kw and hybrid battery solutions for larger needs. Power went out at my home a week ago and it took me 3 minutes to connect the inverter to my Prius, connect to the house, and turn the car on... Voila.. Back to normal. Easy, quiet, and enough power.
    [Full disclosure, I run PlugOut Power]
    Anyone else have a story to share? This has to be a topic of interest to those in need of emergency power.

caymandiver75 likes this.
  2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What did you run with it? Did you run it long enough to use up all the EV range SOC?

3. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don. Thanks for the question. This time the outage was evening and after dinner so we ran our fridge, lights, TV, internet-computers, phones and one AC window unit. Less than 2kw. We could have run up to 3.5kw reliably.
    The Prius has a 10 gallon tank [approx] and produces about 7.8kwh per gallon.. At this run rate, on full tank, using 3kw steady would last for almost 24 ours, at 1kw average it would last up to 3 days. This time we had 3/4 tank and the outage lasted only a few hours.. Easy. My wife's car is also wired so we could have switched cars. Refilling that tank would mean gerry cans or unplugging and driving off for a while.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.