1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius for life....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by runeridr, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agreed with you about a year and a half ago when I was trying to use all of those fancy digital cable music channels to provide some music around my house, but satellite radio is something completely different. I listen a good bit to the 90s on 9 primarily because their DJs are so damned good. They only have DJs from I think 6am-midnight, but they are actually enjoyable to listen to and funny when they are supposed to be. I originally got XM because I got an amazing deal on it all and figured I'd try it out - now I've already signed up through 2009, so it only costs me like $7.50. It's nothing like MUZAK or anything like that :)

2. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Hmm... Well I might have to install the kit and see what all the fuss is all about I guess.

:) I really shouldn't be saying opinionated stuff unless I've experienced it first hand. It sounds like this is different than the DMX stuff.

Just to be truthful here, I was dead set against Tivo thinking that it was an expensive ($800 at the time) toy that will never go anywhere. Now I can't imagine a TV without that feature.

3. Sev

Sev Junior Member

Concerning XM radio. Are those of you who have it referring specifically to XM or generically including Sirius Satellite Radio. If just XM why? What is the difference between XM and Sirius? Sirius also has 100 channels, over 60 of commercial free music according to their web site. IS it harder to integrate with the Prius system? IS XM just better? I don't have either, but would like to know that I made the right decision in radio just like in choice of vehicle!

Thanks,

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are minor differences...XM is more popular, they've exceeded 1 million subscribers...I think Sirius is still walllowing pretty far behind. Serius is a bit more expensive. Previously Serius had the advantage of the 60 commercial free music channels over XM, but now XM has commercial free music too, at $3 less per month and now they've got the metropolitan streaming weather and traffic.

Serius has NPR--which I sorely wish XM had--if that's a major thing in your life, but other than that I don't think there's much advantage to Serius other than personal preference.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I chose XM over Sirius as XM has a program that I listen to daily on 103 called Musical Starstreams. This program can be listened to on regular radio on select jazz stations nationwide as well. However, with my forced "relocation" to day shift (with the exception of the current schedule) over a year ago, I couldn't listen to it any longer due to the airtime of the program.

I've also liked the traffic info channel for the DFW metromess as well, and their going commercial free was the last barrier to me subscribing to the service.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

OT:I've always felt sorry for the TiVo marketing folks -- it is really, really hard to describe how convenient and, well, just pleasant, the TiVo software makes TV watching. (Beyond the benefits of a straight DVR, I mean.) You almost have to buy the product to realize the benefits.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Again, judging by a bit of time browsing their web site, they have very little old classical music. 18th century and before. Mozart, Bach, Renaisance, Gregorian chant, etc. I've never heard Bolivian polka music, synthesized or otherwise, but I like Andean music. Spanish coplas (e.g. Marife de Triana) are good. Jazz circa 1930. The traditional music of most cultures. What I don't care for is the sort of mass-produced lowest-common-denominator commercial stuff that most stations play, or music sung by people whose face is a bigger selling point than their voice.

XM's classical channel seems to prefer later classical, 19th and 20th century. And the kind of stuff that would be on albums that have "The Best Of" in their titles. And while I'm sure they'd occasionally have some traditional music scattered here and there, I bet it would be mixed in with mostly different sorts of pop music.

The CD player lets me pick what I want to listen to. And if I feel like listening to npr I don't need a digital satellite.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To each his/her own, Daniel, but if you ever have a need to rent a car, get an Avis with XM and give the XM a try. I was a little skeptical too, got XM, initially, b/c it seemed sorta cool and techy. Now, I can hardly deal with regular radio. XM is like cable TV in your car... change what you listen to based on your mood, needs, not what stations you can tune in or what CDs you happen to have in the car.

I often tune in CNN after work to catch up on the world so that when I get home I can play with my kids and not worry about what's on TV. On weekends and during March Madness I tune in ESPN and catch up on the games and scores. When I've got the kids in the car I switch over to XM Kids or Disney Radio and they're engaged and entertained. Bad day at work, hard Rock, tired of traffic, Jazz.... Yea, I could carry a million CDs with various music and fumble with loading the right one into the changer, but with XM it's just so nice and easy to try different stuff and find what you need. And did I mention the XM Comedy? Raunch fun comedy for my 2am drives home from work to keep me awake and laughing.

Give it a try sometime and see if you don't become a believer. You can keep your Gregorian Chants CD in the player too, you're not losing anything, you're gaining more. I keep my player loaded with Rush and Eric Clapton for when I need a "fix".

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Believe it or not, there are a good deal of people who've subscribed to both services, and won't give either up. While they're two different companies in direct competition, they are both more focused on providing an alternate to the nastiness that FM has become. XM just recently upped the stakes against Sirius though by going commercial free. However, from what Sirius was showing off as "down the road" stuff was beautiful.

XM and Sirius now both have traffic and weather stations to localized areas - Sirius is planning on having a 'premium' integration with traffic and weather for cars with GPS systems by "the end of this year, early next year" - meaning, you'll actually see the traffic backups, flood/weather blockages, etc., on your nav system. Sirius also will soon be displaying 'streaming' sports scores, stock quotes, weather, etc., on specific channel feeds for where they normally show the song/artist.

Both displayed the ability to move into 5.1 surround sound over current streams, which they are both aiming for, especially since more and more the 5.1 systems are making their way to cars. Both also displayed (again, with current streams) the ability to have streaming video channels. Sirius will have this implemented 'sometime soon', whereas XM seemed to just be showing that they too can do it.

As it stands right now though, both offer fairly similar options - however, from what I've heard, Sirius is better focused on dance music, while XM has better comedy stations. XM will have more traffic/weather stations implemented throughout the year, while Sirius has 24/7 GLBT programming. Personally, I akin it to something like choosing Dell over Gateway. Both companies have their own little differences, but since the public has the ability to choose, it's win-win for us.

-m.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. I'll do that. If one's available when and where I need it.

Of course, I'm hoping my Prius never breaks down, and in strange cities I prefer a taxi to a rental car. Taxi drivers know how to drive in their city, and get lost much less often than I would. It's a luxury I permit myself when I'm away from home.