1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius for UBER

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Spooled, Oct 13, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh there have been Police checked taxi drivers who've raped too, so you can never be 100% sure. But it does make sense to check for drivers with previous.

You also introduce an important point for the other side of the coin. Taxi drivers are very vulnerable and as you say some areas it's absolutely required that there's is a physical barrier between the driver and passenger; be it a purpose built vehicle, a converted vehicle or even a perspex 'bubble'. Even if the Uber driver were to not carry cash that wouldn't stop the idiots who just like to slip a blade in your back for fun, or around your neck for your mobile phone and even your car. I lived in a low crime area yet had a few scary moments and being a taxi I had real time gps tracking and hidden panic button.

So it's not just the passengers having to be aware of a non Police checked pervert, but the innocent, wet behind the ears new driver who will be completely unaware of the variety of tricks muggers and crims try out on a lone, vulnerable driver.

Taxi driving isn't a fun game.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat okdonk! As others have said, you'll find all you'll ever need to know about Prii here on PC! You mention that you're an Uber driver - I was curious as to how you like Uber. I was thinking of joining, but stopped halfway through the application process when I was asked for my FaceBook information, but although I registered with FB (FarcePuke) I only use it very sparingly. I asked my insurance broker about Uber, and they advised me to steer clear of Uber, in fact their words were avoid Uber like the Plague, since my car insurance would not cover me for any commercial use, and despite Uber's claim that their insurance would cover me, I would find out (too late) that in fact that might not be the case, and there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth etc. I was curious how your insurance company handled that question. (Perhaps another PriusChat user Grumpy Cabbie (?) will chime in?), anyway, welcome once again - Wil

4. okdonk

okdonk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    WilDavis,

I never been asked for my Facebook information when joining in. There are some disputes or arguments about the insurance which you mentioned. But i personally and all my friends who doing the Uber, didn't feel the need to inform or notify our insurances about the Uber.
    Yes, it all come back to our own risk. Uber will cover us with their $1M coverage on top of our personal insurances.
    Maybe some other Uber drivers in this forum will chime in.. but as i said i personally didn't need to notify my insurance.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't know what the law is your way, but people can lose their house if their car insurance is invalid or voided and they have a fault accident. Good luck.

6. okdonk

okdonk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good to know. Will keep in mind and will dig more info to be assured for myself. Thx

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do the Uber drivers realize they are responsible for the employment and income taxes on their fares? Uber is obligated to issue 1099-MISC forms for payments over $600 but do they issue forms to everyone? May want to bump up the withholding on the real job or start filing quarterly.

Records should also be kept as business expenses are legitimate deductions.

Will the vehicle manufacturer use the part time commercial usage as an excuse to deny warranty coverage? The warranty on a commercial vehicle is not the same as the one for personal use.

GC, the law works the same over here. The old fashioned way to shelter assets is to put everything in the spouse's name so there is little to nothing to go after.

8. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    This is true, I think it was a one time thus far scare tactic type of enforcement...

BUT

Uber is still everywhere in the City (Philadelphia), and is extremely popular among the College crowds….

They (Uber drivers around here) all drive brand spankin new Suburbans, Lincolns, or 300's….

I can see why the College kids spend the few bucks extra over a 15 yr old beat to hell and stinky crown vic with 300 000 miles on it...

9. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I briefly did some driving for Lyft. Upon researching the insurance issue, I learned that Lyft's insurance will not cover damage to your vehicle. Moreover, I don't know a single Lyft or Uber driver that reports their employment to their insurance company. Thus, if you are involved in an accident, and your insurance company finds out that you were driving for Lyft/Uber (it only takes one person to report you), they will probably not pay out. Moreover, your insurance carrier will likely drop you.

After learning this, I decided that it was not worth risking a $10k car in exchange for earning a few extra bucks.