1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius FOUR, NOT IV because it is NOT a 2010, 2013 (Gen 3) P0A80 Error Code

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Artpro6, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Artpro6

Artpro6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a Prius FOUR, not IV because only 2010 used uppercase roman numerals for model designation, 2013 (Gen 3) with 123k miles. I have a P0A80 Error Code and my story is the following:

On Dec 2015 my car showed up a lot of lights and error messages (a message saying something like: "park your car in a safe place" at that moment I did not know that was a P0A80 code). When I took the car to a hybrid mechanic he told me that it was a P0A80 Error Code. He told me there was a Toyota bulletin establishing that this could be caused by dirtiness in the cooling fan that can impair the ability to cool the off the hybrid battery. He proceeded to clean and reset the code. He told me that if the code shows up again in the future then the issue is the hybrid battery. Sincerely, I did not consider the fan was so dirty, in such at extent that could cause impairment in the fan cooling ability. But, anyways, I just try to follow instructions.

After two weeks the error message showed up again but, in this case, the whole hybrid system was disabled, only the mechanic combustion engine was working all the time. Then, I took it again with the hybrid mechanic and he found again the P0A80 code by hooking up to the car while it was turned on. Also, he said that the module 5 had a voltage of only 12.71V and the nominal should be 14.4V. He just reset the alarm and told me that I have to replace the battery.

I went to another shop and the mechanic established that Gen 3 cars are not like Gen 2 cars. That batteries from Gen 2 hybrids are better designed and can be repaired with a higher successful rate. That, usually, for Gen 3 hybrids the hybrid battery has to be replaced entirely since a cell or module replacement may be only a temporary repair that can just last for a couple of months.

I cannot just believe this and I watched a couple of videos from youtube and proceeded to uncover the hybrid battery to try to repair it. I said, I know about electricity. So, I can do it! I verified the voltage of each battery cell with a multimeter and one cell from module 4 and the two cells of module 5 measured 7.63V, 7.59V and 7.57V respectively. The rest of the cells measured from 7.68V to 7.70V. The cells located closed to the module 5 are different from the rest of the cells (like the mechanic established previously) but the difference is not as significative as the mechanic established 12.71 from module 5 is much less than the sum of both module 5 cells (7.57V + 7.59V = 15.16V). Also the difference from these three modules is just about 0.10V from the rest of the cells. It is because I measured the cells when the car is off?

Another detail is that the mechanic combustion motor (I think it is called the ICE-internal combustion engine) revolutions accelerates at some light stops. The usual behavior is that the car mechanic motor turns off or revolutions are low. I read in some place that an erratic ICE is a sign of faulty hybrid pack.

What should I do? Should I just replace the cells with different voltage? Where can I buy them? Should I trust used cells sold cheap on internet? Or the only option is to replace the entire hybrid pack? Is there another part from the battery pack that I should also test?

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, that sucks. Heat is your enemy on these batteries. Also if that fan is plugged up, it will ruin the pack. Based on your locale, I am pretty sure you deal with excessive heat there. (Puerto Rico)

If it were my car, I would consider a new battery. If that is not possible, then consider a different car. Rebuilding the battery pack is like "whack a mole". It may last a long time, or it may last only a little while.

One other alternative. Try to find a battery from a wrecked low mileage Gen III Prius where you are.

Consider how many miles you got. With a new battery you have a shot at getting that again if the rest of the car is in good shape.

Best of luck to you and "Welcome to Prius Chat".

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you buy this car used? I can't imagine a 2013 battery failing after 3 years

SM-N900P ?

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What warranty is on the battery?

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How did you put on 123K miles in Puerto Rico? PR has a coastline of 501KM = 311 miles (The World Factbook.)

123,000 miles/311 miles = 395.4 island tours / 3 years = 131.8 island tours per year. Wow.

OP should look into that.

But something tells me Puerto Rico might get 8years/100K miles HV Battery warranty, at best (non-CARB Warranty). However, since it is a US Territory, the Warranty could be even less.

If you bought this car NEW, or are the second owner, then get a NEW HV Pack. You can expect to get the similar amount of miles again, and the car has a lot of life left.

A module swap, is a very temporary fix and will not last.

Rebuilding may give you a little more longevity, but it is very involved. Your current test methods of the modules are all wrong. READ this thread in its entirety to understand what is involved and what others have done. Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

Yes, a NEW HV Battery pack is expensive, but ask yourself this:
    What is your time worth to you? How much do you value a trouble free car?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you plan to learn the ins and outs, and diy it, module swapping can be fairly quick and dirty, even if you have to do it every so often.

7. Artpro6

Artpro6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Dorunron.
    In PR we have heat and a lot of mountains. But still, I previously had a gen 2 (2005) Prius until 2010 with almost 250K I did not had any issues with the hybrid battery during that period of time. Then, I consider that the issues that I having right now is too soon compared to my previous experience.

I bought it new on Jun 2013. I think se same as you. I previously had a gen 2 (2005) Prius until 2010 with almost 250K and I did not have any issues with the hybrid battery during that period of time.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose the ten 3 battery might not be as robust, don't know though. have you called toyota to see if they would help with the cost of a new battery?

9. Artpro6

Artpro6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    exstudent,
    In PR the toyota warranty for the hybrid battery is 100k miles....I drive 54 miles each way to work. then on weekends I drive thru the island. I lived in Florida some years and I got used to drive a lot. I value a trouble free car but when they get troubled sooner than expected I look deeper into all the cost effective alternatives. I had a previous prius from 2005 and did not have hybrid battery issues as soon as this case.

bisco,
    I have not called because the warranty is just 100k miles for the battery.

10. Artpro6

Artpro6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ex-student,
    In PR the toyota warranty for the hybrid battery is 100k miles. I drive 54 miles each way to work. then on weekends I drive thru the island. I lived in Florida some years and I got used to drive a lot. I value a trouble free car but when they get troubled sooner than expected I look deeper into all the cost effective alternatives. I had a previous prius from 2005 and did not have hybrid battery issues as soon as this case.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would call Toyota Customer Care (phone number on Toyota.com and your owners manual) to see if you can get any "Goodwill Gesture."
    Tell them you situation and previous 2005 Prius w/ 250K miles. Maybe they will cover a portion of a new HV battery replacement? You would have to have a dealer confirm P0A80, which will cost you that dealer's diagnosis fee.