1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Four or Five? Pre-collision worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sneagle, Feb 23, 2012.

1. sneagle

sneagle New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just recently joined PC but have stalked for years. I am looking to buy a 2012 Prius--my second hybrid-the first is a 2006 Highlander Hybrid.

My initial thought was get the Prius Five with the Advanced Tech package. But my wife feels that is too much to spend (retail $35,885) and she is probably right. So maybe we should get the Four with the Solar/NAV package.

My impression is big difference between the Four and the Five is the safety systems: radar cruise control, Pre-collision system and lane assist. Since my college age son will be using the Prius a fair amount, I tried to sell my wife on these safety features, but she is not convinced.

Any advice?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The pre-collision system for me is not a selling point. The DRCC is, I love it on road trips. I also like the LKA although some do not. Also, the LED headlights on the 5 are superior to the halogens on the 4.

In the end though, you can't go wrong with either one IMO.

3. sneagle

sneagle New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

I am sitting here with the brochure comparing the different models. Here is what I have come up with:

Upgrade Three to Four with Solar/NAV package adds: Larger Entune Screen, SofTex heated seats, 8-way power seats, Heads-up display

Upgrade Four to Five with Advanced Tech package adds: Radar cruise, Pre-collision and Lane Assist, LED headlamps, 17" wheels

What I am noting is that the Solar powered ventilation system and Remote A/C is NOT listed for the Five. Could that be true? That may be more important to me than the radar systems.

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The remote a/c is part of the solar roof package so it is not in the Prius 5. It's all a matter of what you would use most, so if it consistently hot where you are the solar roof with the remote a/c will probably be a great decision. If you do a lot of highway driving and tend to simply set the cruise and forget it the DRCC is invaluable. Most everyone on here who has DRCC loves it. Only you can determine which is best for you and which is most reasonable for what you can afford. Either way, you'll love both packages, I'm sure of that.

5. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I really appreciate DRCC and LKA on long trips and the PCS is a nice safety feature that I hope to never use. Nevertheless, there is a thread on this forum where several people describe how PCS saved their bacon. If safety is what you're seeking, then the five with the AT package has those features.

6. IraS

IraS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had a 2004 Prius. When the 2010 Prius was first announced, I saw many minor feature improvements, none of which would justify replacing my car. However, they also announced the solar moon roof and the dynamic radar cruise control (DRCC). I really wanted both features. When Toyota finally announced the pricing and available options, I was very disappointed that I could not get both the solar moon roof and the DRCC together. I decided that I wanted the DRCC enough to replace my 2004 Prius with a 2010 Prius five with the Advanced Technology Package.

The traditional cruise control was almost useless to me. I used it on both limited access highways and local roads with limited traffic signals and speed limits of 55 to 60 MPH. The traffic flow was so uneven that the cruise control could only be engaged for short periods of time until either the traffic slowed down or someone cut in front of me.

I now use the DRCC on most short trips. I can set the DRCC to the speed limit (or slightly higher) and it adjusts the speed to maintain about a two second following distance from the car ahead. When the traffic slows down, the DRCC slows down to match. When the traffic speeds up, the DRCC speeds up until it hits the set speed. The only time it turns off is when the traffic slows down to around 25 MPH. After stopping at a traffic light, when the light turns green I only have to get up to around 25 MPH and reengage the DRCC, which resumes at the speed I had set before I stopped.

I wish I could have the solar moonroof also, but I wouldn't trade the DRCC for any other option. Here in Austin, TX it gets VERY HOT during the summer. Of course, opening the windows for about 5 minutes gets rid of most of the hot air, but it would be nice if the solar powered ventilation system could do that before the heat builds up inside the car.

Today, for the first time since I bought the 2010 Prius, I believe the pre-collision system (stage 1) kicked in. Some idiot in front of me (in a right-turn only lane) decided he didn't want to turn right, signalled for a left movement, and hit the brakes. I hit the brakes also, felt the ABS kick in, and felt the seat belts tighten. I think that was the PCS activating.

Often, when a car cuts in front of me, some system (I don't know if it is the DRCC or the PCS) flashes a warning on the display and starts beeping. However, I never noticed the seat belts tightening before.

In my experience, I don't think the Lane Keep Assistance (LKA) feature works very well. It very often can't detect the lane markings, and turns off. Perhaps if I was traveling for a long distance on an interstate highway it would be more stable.

You simply have to decide which features are most important to you.

1 person likes this.
  7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A Four with solar is not that much cheaper than a Five with ATP. A Four looks like any run of the mill Prius while the Five looks more sporty and high end with its LED headlights and 17" rims.
    I read an article a few months ago that most car buyers sprung for gadgets more than safety features. http://www.insidevandy.com/online_features/travel/article_35d4401a-0645-5640-8598-587061ad3e4e.html
    Shortly after I bought my Prius, I saw this post. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/83567-local-prius-in-deadly-accident.html There's also a thread in the truckingboards http://www.truckingboards.com/forum/trucking-accidents/230-pa-ohio-man-killed-i-79-crash.html The KDKA's article is gone but I've found another http://www.wtae.com/r/24644608/detail.html
    If that Prius driver had bought a Five with ATP, he would've lived and even walked away without a scratch.
    I had the PCS warning gone off on me 3 times. In all 3 occasions, there were plenty of time to react and brake. With DRCC set, there are even more time and room to react and take over the car. The DRCC will always have at least 2 seconds of distance between you and the car in front of you. The braking force applied by the DRCC is pretty hard.

1 person likes this.
  8. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My impression is big difference between the Four and the Five is the safety systems: radar cruise control, Pre-collision system and lane assist. Since my college age son will be using the Prius a fair amount, I tried to sell my wife on these safety features, but she is not convinced.

Any advice?

My advice is yes, it's worth it for a 5ATP - but maybe for some different reasons, as well as those stated above. At least it was worth it for me.

I plan to keep my Prius for a long time, hopefully 10 years or so (depending on what the Gen4 looks like!). I also will drive long distances at Interstate speeds, many times. I want the functionality of all the hi-tech PLUS the shear enjoyment of using it all. I don't want to have any doubts or regrets about the car I bought.

Also important is that - it's true - you do only live once. Work hard/play hard!

MrBill

:eek:

9. sneagle

sneagle New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the responses. Yesterday I was convinced the Four was fine. The car will be used primarily by my wife for her commute. She currently does not use cruise control much (the commute is not really conducive to using it) and for longer drives we will use my Highlander as my kids fit better in the that.

I think the safety features are important but do they justify the extra $2,000? So far, I don't think my wife is convinced.

10. tommygun

tommygun Who was that masked man?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I now have a non-Prius (non-hybrid) sedan with the equivalent of DRCC and I love it. I am about to buy a Prius and must have a level five w/ ATP for that reason alone. LKA doesn't appeal to me though. I had a car with it and I agree that it was not useful. In that car, it could be disengaged, and would only engage on demand. Can the same be done with LKA in the Prius?

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In the Prius LKA re-engages again automatically after a few seconds of drifting out of a lane, having a hiccup etc.

I thought it was obvious but in case it is not, you can totally disengage it.

12. tommygun

tommygun Who was that masked man?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What a nuisance. If it's as sensitive as the one I had in my Infiniti (which could be disengaged) I will try to get the dealer to just shut it down. Sometimes these things just help you too much.

13. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Of course you can disengage the LKA. I find it a nuisance on two lane roads at low speeds but really appreciate it on multilane roads and at speeds over fifty.
    The DRCC is incredible and is even more valuable in heavy traffic. Not like the regular CC which is unusable in traffic. The DRCC really is a great safety feature and leaves you much more relaxed and less tense after a drive in heavy traffic.

14. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the money spent you might consider a 12 Camry XLE Hybrid, safer, same dough, gas mileage still good.:)

15. sneagle

sneagle New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend suggested the same thing at dinner tonight. Hmmm. Perhaps I should investigate. Still, I like the cache of a Prius and 50+ mpg.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I find that long trips are easier with the DCC & LKA. The PCS does several things. Increasing the tension & locking the seat belts is the most obvious. It also increases braking force. What's it worth to NOT hit the car that just swerved in front of you? What's it worth to NOT get whiplash because the belt held you in the seat? Turn one collision into a near miss & the package paid for itself. What are the airbags worth?

LKA is visual. If the lines are weak or moved (as in construction zones) or if the lanes are wide the system won't lock on. The beeping & screen flipping are annoying to a degree.

RCC won't work when the nose is covered in ice & snow.

I'd be happier if the systems had an "always on" mode.

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius is like the iPhone. Any other hybrids are just any other cars.

18. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Honestly, if the $2,000 is a concern, there's nothing wrong with passing on the ATP. PCS is nice and might save your bacon, or you could buy some driving classes for the whole family to improve their safe driving skills, and still get the solar package too.

I bought it because I'm an engineer (and a nerd), and I like technology. I also recognize that buying technology supports other nerds. And I didn't feel a pressure on my budget (no kids), so I went for it over the Three with Nav.

On the other hand, you could spend much less than $2000 in other ways that might also net you a similar safety improvement - say a monitoring box to tell you if your son is speeding, plus the threat of revoked driving privileges! :)

It also depends how long you plan on keeping the car; if you buy a new car in 3 or 5 years, the PCS will probably be much better, and much cheaper. It also might be available in a package with the solar roof and the hovercar upgrade. (In 15 years, it'll be cheaper still, though at least you got 15 years of use out of your $2000 upgrade.)

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not the end of the world if you can't convince your wife that you want the fancy toy. The solar roof is a pretty nifty toy too, after all.

19. sneagle

sneagle New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the dealer and my wife is pushing for a 2011 and a lower model. What do I lose with a 2011?

20. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Doing your homework while at the dealer isn't really a good idea...

What you loose will depend on model etc. Maybe you should just get what she wants, it seems like if you do anything other than what she wants you may be hearing it for a LONG time...