1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius four with spare tire from dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jbkendrick, Jul 13, 2016.

1. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thought everyone might be interested to hear about what one dealer did to seal the deal on a Prius 4. A couple weeks after I took delivery on my Prius a coworker asked to see my new car. After showing him the car he wanted the same thing, Prius 4 with atp and pcp. He took his wife to a dealer to test drive the car and all they had was a 3 touring. Of course in looking at this car they saw the spare. So they tell the dealer they want a 4 with atp and pcp. He finds the car and one week later my friend and his wife show up to take delivery. They open the hatch and you know what they find, no spare. So my friend says the deal is off because the car you showed me had a spare and I've had flats in the past. They tell him to start paperwork and they'll look into it. My friend says you fix the spare and then I'll do the paperwork. Guess what happened. They take the car and come back 30 minutes later with the spare in the four. They obviously swapped out the stryofoam and everything from the 3 touring to the 4. Wow, if only I'd known I'd have tried the same thing. I guess it makes sense that the stryrofoam and contents are interchangeable. J

wsncguy, dfine1966, ETP and 7 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty cool, but also shows some desperation. or maybe just a really nice dealer, i wouldn't know.:cool:

ETP, 'LectroFuel and jbkendrick like this.
  3. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    jb,

Nice story!
    I would like to have a spare rather than a inflator, but
    at least I won't be more than an hour away from home.
    Can't cross any State lines!

stt

ETP, Caniac, Sooner Al and 2 others like this.
  4. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is so cool! It can open a new chapter in the whole 'spare' saga. Great info, and much better approach than cutting the Styrofoam! Will certainly go this way when (and if) I buy Prius 4. Thank you!

ETP likes this.
  5. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The significance of the story is not even a dealer, but the fact that the whole thing could be swapped from 3 to 4! This is real cool story.

wsncguy and ETP like this.
  6. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now perhaps we should check some dealers and see what they would charge after the sale, to purchase the spare tire and styro kit to replace standard 4 kit. J

wsncguy, ETP and KimPrius3 like this.
  7. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, that was easy. I just contacted a dealer in my area, and the styrofoam insert is available for $279.97, and he believes you just pull the old one out and drop the new one in. He said they are available and he could have it in one day's time.

They quoted me $140 for a 17" donut spare (wheel only) and $80 for a tire pressure sensor and said that they didn't have a 15" donut available, so I'm not really sure about the spare. He believed a full sized 15" tire would also fit, so that might be an option as well.

Have to research this further, but the fact that you can purchase the styro insert is a new detail and an option available to those of us with 4's. And perhaps a bargaining chip for those that are planning the purchase of a 4 and really want a spare. J

#7 jbkendrick, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You are just meaning levels, not generations? Not that big a deal. If enough potential customers asked for this, maybe Toyota would start listen? I kind of doubt it though.

ETP likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the question was asked much earlier in gen 4 purchases, and dealer either said no, or price was prohibitive, iirc. so this is good news.

ETP likes this.
  10. MitchR

MitchR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would someone be willing to post a picture of the compartment where the spare tire is stored? Or post one of the styrofoam kit? I'm having trouble visualizing how that would work. Thanks!

ETP likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a few threads with lots of pics in the gen 4 forums.

ETP likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If we knew the thickness and dimensions of the inserts we could calc. the actual ft3 difference in cargo space. I have a theory that seat heights might be slightly different in 3 vs. 4 to make the floor level, but maybe not.

So the big question is: is the rear floor perfectly flat (with seats down) with the new insert? I am wondering if there could be a small offset.

EDIT-
    BTW my thought is from studying cargo space, the rear seats might be a little higher the 3 with spare. So if true moving the 3 insert to the 4 there might be maybe up to 1-inch too high to make floor level. This is conjecture however,on the other it would be best if there was total 3=4 equalness except the insert. But if that were the case, why are we only hearing now the inserts can be switched like this? ( I guess one answer is the 4 EPA MPG might be slightly off design promise to EPA with the extra tire wt).

#12 wjtracy, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try 'compact spare for two eco' by krousdb, in the acc and mods forum. he has some nice pics.

ETP likes this.
  14. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is a great news. I am still wondering about how it fits into 4. As I remember, the whole floor is a few inches lower in 4 compare to 3. I'd love to see a picture or two from folks who did the swap. I regards of 15" vs 17
    Yes, levels. Not generations.

ETP likes this.
  15. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, it would be nice to see the pictures. The floor in 4 is a few inches lower exactly because it does not have a spare. So the question is what happens with it? As 'bisco' mentioned, folks in modification forum did a great work fitting a spare into 2 and 4. But those pictures may not be relevant here. Very interested to see some pics. On the other hand the fact that more than one dealer is doing this means it is possible. To me it solves a bunch of problems.
    Yes, it would be very nice to see some pictures. The floor on 4 is a few inches lower because there is no spare. As 'bisco' mentioned, folks did a great work on fitting a donut into 2 and 4, but those pictures may not be relevant as they were cutting the 'native' styrofoam.

ETP likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check out thread in my post #13. very informative. there is also an old thread where someone lists all the necessary part numbers for the foam that accepts a spare.

ETP likes this.
  17. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    That's interesting. Just 3 weeks ago I contacted my local dealer and was quoted over $1100 for the inserts (3 pieces) and wheel (no tire or sensor). Maybe I should call again.

ETP likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think you were the only one.

ETP likes this.
  19. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I still might just do what dalea did in these photos. Looks clean enough to me and will be covered up either way.

ETP and bisco like this.
  20. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will see if I can get my coworker to let me get some pics tomorrow. J
    I left a message for my coworker and will try to get some pics tomorrow. J

ETP likes this.