1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius-friendly cross-country roads?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Holt, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does any website or authoritative source such as AAA have a usable compendium of cross-country roads that have low speed limits but minimal interruptions such as stop signs and traffic lights?
    I would nominate the Natchez Trace Parkway (444 miles, 50 mph maximum speed) and the Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles, 45 mph maximum speed limit) to be on such a list based on my own driving experience, but I am hoping other folks have already compiled a usable list of such roads.
    U.S. Route 2 near the Canadian border was also a slow, pleasant way to cross parts of Minnesota, North Dakota, and Montana, but I sure there are other such Prius-friendly routes.
    Any suggestions?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rt 20 from boston to buffalo is a beautiful ride if you have the time.(y)

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When driving from the NYC metro area to Connecticut or Massachusetts I take the Merritt Parkway (Route 15) instead of I95. It's a four-lane divided highway, nicely landscaped, 55 MPH speed limit, no trucks or commercial vehicles.
    Google Maps

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the merritt is fabulous, with great hills! needs more bathrooms though.:p

ftl likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US 2 is still good into Idaho, but then shares a long stretch on US 95. Dropping down 56 in Montana, then 200 into Idaho, will have lower traffic yet and still meet up about where 2 leaves 95.

At the Idaho-Washington border, turn off US 2 to US 20, use that to cross the Colville, Okanogan, and North Cascades. The mountains may not be the most mpg-friendly, but the reduced speeds will help. And the scenery will be wonderful.

Though US 2 isn't all that bad either, certainly nicer than I-90.

Robert Holt likes this.