1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius front brakes pads easiest I have ever changed!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 5 Speed, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have changed brakes on many vehicles over the years and I will say that the front pads on my Prius were the easiest and quickest I have ever done. No stuck pins, no difficult springs and it literally took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish and I was being super careful. When I was having my failed Inverter IMP replaced by Toyota under warranty they told me when I picked up my fixed Prius that my front pads were getting a little close to minimal so I ordered a set of Toyota front pads online and got ready. After watching Nutz about Bolts great video I unhooked the 12V battery and put my key inside my house and went to work. I unhooked the battery to be safe and never opened any door but I don't believe with the battery unhooked it really mattered but better safe than sorry. Having a disc brake spreader (10 dollar tool) truly made it so easy. Remembering to pump the brakes before attaching the 12V battery helped not throw codes. I thought I would put this up because I was under the impression that they were difficult.

#1 5 Speed, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and well done! (y) seems early for pads, how many miles on her?

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Brake flush is even easier for the rear comparing to the front lol

5 Speed and frodoz737 like this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very easy. Thanks for the cheat sheet NutzAboutBolt. ;)

5 Speed and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, that's me too: belts AND braces is better.

Be cautious though: the piston is "resin". Be sure to have uniform/complete contact with the rim, point loads may crack it. The current pad would work perfect, or a piece of plywood, metal plate or what have you.

#5 Mendel Leisk, Sep 2, 2017
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  6. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    150k and I bought it used at 130 and since the IMP went out it was no doubt driven hard!

bisco likes this.
  7. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used the old pad on the piston side and the tool to early completely compress it home so it easily fit over the new pads! Great minds think alike.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, 150k is a good run!(y)

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Time to look at the EGR, if you haven't yet. Transaxle fluid been changed?

10. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually have done the transaxle fluid twice. Once the week I got it and then after 20k because it was pretty dirty when I changed it first. I did both the radiator and the inverter coolest too. Will tackle the EGR soon but I can report that it doesn't burn any oil even after 10K. I changed the fluid at 5k and then last one I let go 10k but will probably switch back to 5k. I enjoy working on my vehicles so spending a few extra bucks on oil isn't a problem. Mobil 1 with a toyota filter is inexpensive insurance even if it just makes sure I don't run low on oil.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the EGR it is definitely worth just checking the "pipe" first, runs between EGR valve and intake manifold. @NutzAboutBolts has a specific video for that, as well as a complete EGR cleaning. Pinned in 3rd gen maintenance sub forum.

Also, if you look at the rear brakes, take similar 12 volt disconnect precaution of course, but also, be careful on reassembly, to orient the caliper piston cross-pattern like an "X", so that the pin on back face of inside pad falls between the spokes in the X. Firm up pressure with multiple brake pedal pushes, then hook up 12 volt, take it for a short test drive, and only then apply parking brake. You want to avoid that pin riding up on a spoke, which will cause the brakes to drag and apply uneven pressure.

Even if you've got the orientation right at reassembly, you want to go further, get it firmly seated, before parking brake application, which can rotate the piston. I think.

Calling the following a "hint" is definitely understatement, it's more a necessity:

upload_2017-9-2_19-4-42.png

This is a screen grab from the attachment.

Attached Files:

#11 Mendel Leisk, Sep 2, 2017
  12. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bump:
    I'm about to change my front pads next week. is it really neccasary to disconnect the battery? As long as I don't open any doors, i should be good? I have too many things in the back area and i'm lazy and it will be cold...

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you're ok, as long as the driver's door is not opened.

One thing in particular, it's a good idea to take any excess travel out of the brake pedal (to avoid the car possibly detecting excess travel and throwing a code), the excess travel you will get, pushing the pistons back in. The only way I know to do that is through repeated pushes of the brakes after everything's reassembled. Doing that by entering via the passenger side is probably doable, but a little awkward. And you don't want to have a lapse, forget and go in through the driver's door.

Personally, I'd clear out the hatch, lol.

Raytheeagle and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  14. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah i think i'll clear out the back lol

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One other thing: the front piston is plastic, when pushing it back you want full/uniform bearing, say a plywood scrap or the old brake pad.

Oh, and you'll lose your trip meters when you disconnect, if that matters.

16. Dan05979

Dan05979 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ok thanks for the tip, when you say trip meters, you mean the trip odometer? if so i don't care I reset it everytime i fuel up

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, if you're relying on trip meter to calculate tanks you will lose it when you disconnect. Note the value just before disconnect (because they all go back to zero). For calculatin tanksI got tired of surprises, rely on the odometer: a bit more math but never gets accidentally reset. I do reset tripmeter at fillup as well, but just for feedback.

There's another oddity: first start up or two afterwards, I found the car tends to do an odd rev up, during warm up phase. I think something recalibrating.

18. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is good to hear! I've done brakes on older cars before but wondered if there was something about the Prius that made them more difficult. I watched the Nutz & Bolts video and it sure looked simple!

My fonts are at 3mm according to the dealer so I'll plan to change them out myself in the next couple of months. fwiw, I did fronts and rears around 90k, I'm at 142k now.

paphillyman and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At around 9 minute mark @NutzAboutBolts notes the piston orientation requirement. (y)

NutzAboutBolts and Raytheeagle like this.