1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius fuel efficient tires vs budget tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Scerab, Nov 27, 2018.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got the Hankook tires yesterday after ordering them on Monday, they look to be a good tires. I had them installed this morning and so far I like them, I feel they are an improvement for sure over my worn Goodyear Assurance All season tires. They have a nice quiet ride and the handling feels IMG_3659.JPG a bit better. The steering has a lighter feel and the handling is quicker responding, too soon to tell on any mileage increase and now unfortunately we are entering the winter season, I have a feeling they will perform better then my previous tires.

2. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had new EO Hankook Optimo 426 tires on our two Elantras. On one Elantra, they performed well for the first 20,000 miles, & was thinking these tires will go 50,000 miles. Suddenly, the wear increased & they were worn out (even tread) at 33,000 miles. On the other Elantra, the Optimo's wore well for 20,000 miles, then began wearing badly, as on the other Elantra. Switched the Optimos to our lighter weight Hyundai Accent. The wear did decrease, but the 2nd set of Optimo's were worn out on the Accent, with only a total of 39,000 miles. The first set of Optimo's were 205x55x16 inch, & the second set of Optimo's were 195x65x15 inch.

#22 litesong, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As noted above, I've had Hankook 426 Optimo tires. Then I put Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tires on the Elantra. Yes, I noted all the positive reasons you listed..... but for the Goodyears. Often, new tires feel good & have superior handling & braking, compared to worn tires. Our Goodyears have 35,000 miles & appear they will pass 60,000 miles. Still smooth, quiet & comfy.
    Along with the Hankook 426 tires, I have two used Hankook 431 tires on the rear of another Elantra we have. The 431's have been smooth & quiet, altho not as long-lasting as I had hoped in an initial 10,000 mile assessment. May have worn a bit like the 426's (as noted in my above post).

#23 litesong, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019