1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS GAS MILEAGE SUCKS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by westex39, Aug 19, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's funny to see these posts from people who don't get very good mileage no matter what they drive buying a Prius and expecting magic. If you can't get at least fifty mpg with a Prius then it's your driving that is the problem, no matter how old you are.

2. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I get lower to mid 50 MPG, and my wife probably gets mid to high 40 MPG.

38 is about as low as I've ever heard of a Prius getting, but you're still seeing a 230% increase in your mileage over a 16 MPG pickup, and rest assured, you're driving the most fuel efficient production car in America.

That said, no car gets its current stated EPA rating, and the (more realistic) new EPA ratings say that you can expect 42-45 MPG in a Prius.

If you're only getting 38 MPG, there are probably a couple of reasons:

1. You're car is new and it gets a little more efficient after the break-in period.
    2. You may be taking short (~10 minute) trips which is a big mileage killer.
    3. You're just learning the best way to drive the Prius. The car's fuel efficiency dispaly should help you learn the most efficient way to drive, and you can check out "hyper-miling" if you want to get the REALLY good MPG numbers.

Realistically, you should be able to hit the lower 40 MPG mark pretty easily, but you may never see 60 MPG because the old EPA testing doesn't reflect modern driving habits.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Aug 19 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]498884[/snapback]</div>
    Move to a place that is hilly and has cold winters (and by cold, I'm talking below freezing) and you'll be glad to get 38 MPG in the winter.

Of course, 95% of my trips are 10 minutes or less, so I'm happy with the 45 MPG I'm getting now (and the only reason I'm getting that high is the other 5% of my trips are nice long highway trips).

4. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(likesmpg @ Aug 19 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]498860[/snapback]</div>

How can you get 70-80 city, man? Seriously... I don't doubt it, I've heard of such miracle drivers, but I try, I try real hard and the best I can do P&G-ing all the time is 58 tops. Enlighten us!

5. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 19 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]498879[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not gonna give up my A/C to gain a couple miles per gallon. Its hot and humid as hell here in south Texas in the summer time. I expect my MPG to go up in the fall and winter when it gets cool enough to open the windows a bit. I only have about 800 miles on my new Prius and get between 41 and 46 MPG on the MFD. My tire pressures were low, around 38 psi until today when I brought them up to 42/40. I havn't had a chance to see what difference that made yet. I'm still learning to drive it and its still gettin broke in.

6. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Aug 19 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]498829[/snapback]</div>
    Your profile shows that you joined PC in May '07 and only have 1716 miles on the car. That leads me to believe you probably take short trips, which kill your mileage, as others have stated.

I got my Prius in April and just rolled past 12,000 miles this weekend. Lifetime average is 50.8, but this last tank I decided to give what's referred to here as Pulse and Glide a try. I have 240 miles on this tank and I'm at 56.2 - roughly a 10% increase and I'm still learning it. The nice thing about the Prius is that it practically begs you to see what kind of mileage you can get. My driving habits have definitely changed for the better.

I grew up in Midland. Are you anywhere close to there?

7. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Aug 19 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]498891[/snapback]</div>

Not necessarily. Opening the windows creates drag, so that works against you. If it's cool enough, you should just open your vents and let the fan get cool air from the outside without opening the windows.
    Like I said my wife gets in the low 40s, but she never bothers to look at the screen and drives it like a regular car and usually goes on short trips. You don't have to go crazy with the P&G to get mileage in the 50s. Just need to learn a couple of tricks and you can easily get 50s with your A/C on.

Everyone should be able to get low 50s without much effort. Keep an eye on the screen and the car will teach you.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Westex,

I think the biggest difference between driving a Prius and previous cars is that the accellerator pedal is not attached to a throttle linkage, but a computer. So, one does not need to hold the pedal at some level to keep the trottle butterfly valve partially open during cruising.

In the Prius if you do this, it tells the computer "I need a quick throttle response to high power, please do not operate at max economy" . To tell the car you want economy, once you get to speed, lift all the way off the pedal, and slowly repress til the car maintains speed.

Cruise control works well for good economy during cruising on flat terrain. Check it out in the manual.

Check your rear brake temperature after a half an hour of driving. They should be cool to the touch, unless you had to do allot of hard braking. Be careful doing this. If the brake(s) is(are) mis-adjusted they will be more than boiling hot! I also read that people who have forgotten to release the parking brake and pushed the accelerator pedal hard in reverse, have sometimes caused the automatic brake adjuster mechanism to adjust the rear brakes too tight.

9. postal1

postal1 Wanderer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(likesmpg @ Aug 19 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]498860[/snapback]</div>

I too wondered about the mileage, till I realized I had it stuck in second gear.

Gottca!

I average 40 to 45 during my running around, I have got a lead foot however. No fixing that, because it is a blast to leave the morons at the light when that electric blows them away. I did take a trip to Iowa, in one stretch of 234 miles at 70 miles an hour I got a solid 50 mpg. That knocked my socks off.

Now the sad story, in April I got to warning of low tire, took it to the dealer in Elgin Illinois. A couple of weeks later, same thing, back to the dealer. Dang it, darned if I didn't get a fourth warning of low pressure. Got out the old electric air pump for the BOOT, I like that word, and checked the tires.

ALL THE TIRES WERE TEN POUNDS LOW! This in spite of having the oil changed four times, having the tires rotated two times, having three tires fixed at the same stupid Dealership. The Fourth tire I took off and fixed myself, I have had no problems since then. I am never going to the dealer again! I have a mechanic in the town were I worked, I am retired, I wil be using him from now on.

Yes, I e-mailed the dealership, no response!

Also had a friend take his pickup in for service to the same place. They wanted to replay the belt, the one they replaced four thousand miles before. Trust no one!

10. danatt

danatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Aug 19 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]498829[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! 38.7 mpg. Sorry, but... gotta call a spade a spade... you're right... that sucks!

First question: Paved roads?

Speed is not a bad thing. Remember, kinetic energy = 1/2*mass* velocity^2, and kinetic energy is your friend. Get your speed up there. But when you do, keep it. Preserve velocity! The key is to GET THE GLIDE. Feather the gas pedal. The brakes are the enemy.

If you transferred gun racks, munitions, and amo from your pick-up, or any other heavy equipment jetison them now. Excess weight will reduce gas mileage.

48/45... that's LAME! In these summer months we should be getting > 50 mpg highway (@ 65-70 mph), and > 55 mpg city.

Good Luck!

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just this past week I made two 50 mile each way trips to Cleveland from East Akron all highway at about 70 MPH 90 % of the way and my tank average was 54.5 MPG, this despite the fact I was stuck in a parking garage after a Browns game getting a low SOC and forcing the engine to run more frequently while I was stuck in traffic for the hour and a half after the game. I don't do anything special when I drive other then I just drive it like I would any other car.

My tips would be to check your tire pressure I recommend 40fr 38r. (Good balance in handling and comfort.)
    Check your oil make sure you aren't overfilled.
    When you drive highway set your cruise, I have noticed a very nice sweet spot at about 53 MPH (you will avg. over 60 MPG on the flats) Another nice sweet spot seems to be about 68 MPH.
    As far as city goes try to accelerate briskly (I don't mean racing though) and then let up on the accelerator all the way when you get to your desired speed and then lightly press again to have the electricity carry you to the next stop, watch the lights and let it regen as you approach the next light. Just like any vehicle the key to better mileage is never having to stop.

I hope this helps Oh my lifetime Average over 11,000 miles is at 54.8 MPG. You can PM me for more questions if you like.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Aug 19 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]498888[/snapback]</div>
    I think I could do it too if I drove only city, I think I am going to try it this week, despite the fact that it will take an extra 10 to 15 minutes to get to and from work

12. duckman

duckman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mick @ Aug 19 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]498893[/snapback]</div>
    It has been very hot in Raleigh over the past month, can't survive with out A/C. Have 05 and wife has 07. I took the advise and put 42/40 psi in tires. I'm averaging 47 city and over 50 hwy at 70 mph. It does drop a bit when only very short trips are involved. My wife drives hard, but does have a 20 mile commute each day and averages 45 mpg. She had a Highlander and only averaged about 18 mpg. Our gas savings are fantastic. Having more fun with these cars than could have imagined.

13. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're not driving in "B" mode, are you???

14. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Aug 20 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]499002[/snapback]</div>

Funny you should say this! It's happened to me a couple of times, I usually realize my mistake within a few seconds.

15. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Aug 20 2007, 12:17 AM) [snapback]499016[/snapback]</div>
    It's a common idiot salescritter mistake to tell the customer that "B" is for Battery--and driving in "B" will charge it. That, along with tire pressure, are two big things that can lower mileage.

Also, the OP should check to make sure that the emergency brake is completely off. Push down HARD and then release it. Better yet, get it up on jack stands or a lift and see if the rear wheels move freely with the emergency brake off. Some overzealous mechanics overtighten, and that can play havoc with the mileage.

16. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Aug 19 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]498829[/snapback]</div>
    First thing to realize is that Toyota doen't get to choose what MPG they advertise. Our government (the EPA) tests the model and the then state an estimated MPG determined by their tests. Toyota is then required to state this number whether they believe it is accurate or not. So if you find the MPG numbers to be unreasonable blame our government, not Toyota.

The new numbers for 2008 are because the EPA has revised their testing methods. All new vehicles starting in 2008 will be tested using this new method, therefore many models (not just the Prius) will be affected with lower MPG numbers.

Next, in an earlier post you indicate that with your Prius you are using 11 gallons per month.
    At the 38.7 mpg you indicate, that works out to about 425 miles per month.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Jun 5 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]455671[/snapback]</div>
    In that same post you indicate that in your pickup you were using 40 gallons per month.
    Over 425 miles that works out to 10.63 MPG

So while the EPA might have stated 16 MPG, it sounds like your driving habits got you 10.63 MPG.

In your pickup your driving habits got you about 66.44% of the EPA estimate.

The EPA estimate for the Prius is 60 MPG. 66.44% of that is 39.86 MPG.

It looks like your MPG is just about what I'd expect for your particular driving situation and habits.

That works out to a 264% improvment in MPG (from the 1/2 ton to the Prius)

17. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Aug 20 2007, 08:09 AM) [snapback]499046[/snapback]</div>
    Nice

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't the bladder in the fuel tank stretch out into the corners more in the first few fills? That would mean each time you fill up when the car is new you can put more fuel in than you have used. This will make each fill up seem like poorer fuel consumption than what you actually used.

I'm no expert on this, there is no bladder in the Aussie petrol tank.

19. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 20 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]499056[/snapback]</div>
    Supposedly you can put more in when its hot outside because it stretches, and less when its cold because it wont stretch as much. I pretty much bank on there only being 10 gallons when full and slightly topped off.

20. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    "Your mileage may vary"
    I am getting an average over 3000 miles of 55.8mpg. To me it was definately worth getting the Prius as I have already seen a difference in the amount and frequency of my gas purchases.
    That is a combined average 50/50 city/highway.
    In all city routes I get up around 70mpg and my best record so far was I got 64 mpg combined when I drove 148 miles of 70/30 city/highway. If I only drove city routes I would expect my mpg to be way up over the 60 the EPA estimates.