1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS GAS MILEAGE SUCKS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by westex39, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(feemia99 @ Aug 21 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]500004[/snapback]</div>
    What is a hybrid premium? And how much did you pay?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Aug 21 2007, 05:46 PM) [snapback]499982[/snapback]</div>
    Cool, thanks for getting back to us. I look forward to hearing about your results and experiences. Sorry for some of the snarky stuff.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(feemia99 @ Aug 21 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]500004[/snapback]</div>
    Hm, my dealership actually gave a hybrid discount, I'm surprised yours charged you a hybrid premium.

In particular, I was trying to decide between a fully loaded non-hybrid Camry or the Prius. The Prius was cheaper than the Camry but it had this hybrid thing in it. <_<

Since they were offering the cheaper price for the car with the hybrid thing, I figured I'd take advantage of the purchase price savings and try this hybrid thing out. Then I found out I'd save on gas too! Why does anyone buy any other car? ;)

Ok, so the story isn't true, but it does demonstrate that comparing the Prius to a cheaper car and then saying that the difference in price is because of a "hybrid premium" is no different than comparing the car to a more expensive car and saying the difference is because of a "hybrid discount".

There is no non-hybrid Prius, therefor there is no premium to have the hybrid system added to the Prius. If you want to show a hybrid premium for the Prius, you first need to itemize every single difference between the car you are comparing against and then assign realistic retail values to each difference. Then once you've made all the necessary adjustments, you may be surprised to find that there really isn't as much of a premium as you thought.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(feemia99 @ Aug 21 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]500004[/snapback]</div>
    You are using a used car as a comparison? lol Why not use a 1989 CRX as an example? :p

You are forgetting a few simple facts. The Prius has a lot of nice gadgets, it's roomy AND has MUCH lower emissions than nearly any car out there. If you ONLY bought it for the gas milage then I can understand your frustration but that was a poor choice of car if that was your only criteria. :)

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Aug 19 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]498829[/snapback]</div>
    45 MPG in Dallas.

Try putting more air in the tires. I use 42/40 front/rear.

6. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    People will post asking if my A/C is off and if my tires are at 42/40, pulse and glide....yes, yes, yes. My A/C is off in cold SF and my tires are at 42/40...still getting 38MPG since day one.

Hope this makes you feel better. We have a 2007 prius pkg #2. But I have one mod: I have 205/50 R16 wheels and tires, changed at 1200 miles. I somethimes wonder if I had not changed the wheel size, what would I be getting for mpg now. From day 1, we have never gotten any better than 44-45mpg, and yes, just like you say, ... yes, yes, yes. I am 73 yrs old and don't see as well any more, so my driving habits are much slower now a days. Right now, our Prius has 5600 miles, and this tank right now is the best one we have had--its at 45.8 with almost 300 miles on this tank. Going to fill up tomorrow, recheck the tire pressures and check oil level again and then head to San Diego. I tell my wife that I won't die until i can get the mpg's up to 60mpg. Stay with me and we can comfort each other.

7. ham-n-cheese

ham-n-cheese New Member

We bought our 2005 Prius exactly one week ago. Did a lot of driving this week, really love it. Just filled the tank today and our first tank of gas got us 45.5 MPG. We're thrilled, coming from a 14 MPG SUV! We always have the AC on, it's hot in LA now... but I'm guessing MPG would improve with AC off, huh?

8. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

I'm currently about to finish up the last couple of legs of a big circular 4300-mile roadtrip that took me from the SF area through SLC and Calgary and then back to the west coast. Cruise used the whole way; set to at least 75 mph and, in Idaho and Montana, 85 mph (hey, the SLC-Calgary leg was 900 miles).

My present average (reset just as I was backing out of my garage)? 45. I balance it out with a lot of relaxed city driving abusing P&G as much as possible (in Vancouver it's pretty easy as the traffic lights aren't timed).

Back at home I can easily beat 60 for city driving and still average 54 when you include the effects of the 20 mile freeway commute.

It's all about how you drive. I tell people that to get the most out of the Prius, you need to change your driving habits and priorities. However, once you've done that, you'll find you can get more out of any car. The latter is what causes eyebrows to rise.

9. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Aug 19 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]498829[/snapback]</div>
    I was getting about 53 mpg until it got so hot here (and I drove it more on weekends than now). Now the AC runs full-blast all the time to keep my car at 78 degrees. With the heat wave, I'm still getting about 48, without any P&G, as I usually have cars behind me. I too, dream of seeing 60mpg, but even if I don't, I'm still getting twice the mileage my old CR-V got. So I'm content.

You've received plenty of good advice on how to improve your mileage, so I won't go into that, but I do hope your mileage improves soon.

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just turned 13k miles. Was 102°F yesterday. I'm earning a consistent 55 mpg! Finally reached a "break-in point." Nice.

Let the Prius teach you how to drive.

11. wogue

wogue Lexus CT200h

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 20 2007, 02:37 AM) [snapback]498879[/snapback]</div>
    the MFD was a big help for me (especially the consumption monitor mode) but don´t sue someone when you have an accident while watching MFD. :huh: :lol:

have you ever checked the battery in the cargo area. maybe they forgot to put one into your prius :D :D

12. telstar

telstar New Member

First tank we got 40 MPG average. Second tank we got 44+ MPG - we're working on the 3rd tank now. We live in the country and our driving so far is between town (& in town) and home. It's hilly, 2-lane and as curvy as it gets so I'm not expecting great MPG yet. But I'm pleased to be getting what I'm getting considering the roads we're traveling. Yes, our AC stays on auto and it works great. Loving this little beauty more and more as time goes on! :)

13. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Aug 19 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]498829[/snapback]</div>
    That's about what I was getting in the beginning. #1 Feb is cold in NE. #2 Short trips. #3 Didn't pulse & glide. #4 Drove with a lead foot (not easy to correct). #5 Car out of alignment. #6 Car brand new. #7 Tires at dealer pressure (maybe less - didn't check them). #8 Sat in an idling car with the heat & fan on in the winter (same effect as A/C & fan on in the summer).

Although I did the things I learned here, the biggest improvement came when mileage hit 3K and the car was aligned beginning of August. Last 2 tanks got 55.6 mpg and 55.3 mpg with lifetime at 50.2 mpg. And I'm still coming into red lights too hot. Also check out www.cleanmpg.com for further reading and DON'T GIVE UP YET! I didn't learn to drive overnight, and now I have to unlearn some stuff and learn how to get the most out of a Prius - a work in progress. Best of luck.

14. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

So what? 38mpg is still good fuel economy. A lot of fuel economy depends on where you live, how you drive, etc. The way you drive and where you live gives you 38mpg. It's not the car's fault. It's yours.

I get anywhere from 38-60mpg. My tank right now is right under 40mpg. As I'm driving 75mph down the freeway I don't wonder why I'm not getting steller mpg. Prius in California almost never get what the other guys do.

15. Cox813

Cox813 New Member

Since there is a lot of talk here about fuel mileage, I thought I'd ask...

I'm about to pick up my Prius from the dealer Thursday morning and I can't wait! In lieu of a vacation, I am trading my 1999 Honda CR-V for a 2007 Toyota Prius and couldn't be happier.

Unfortunately, next Tuesday it will be back to work for me. I have two routes I could take for work:

1) An almost entirely highway ride down the New Jersey Turnpike to Exit 10, then taking 287 about 12 miles to my place of work, or...

2) Still a mostly highway ride, but with more stoplights and what have you down Route 130 to Route 1 to Route 18 to where I work.

All totaled, it's about a 42 mile ride every day. Having read the EPA guidelines, I've assumed all along that option 2 would make for the better mileage ride, since it approximates a city trip better than the highway ride would. Reading some of the messages here, I am no longer sure about this. What would be the best trip for ideal gas mileage?

16. BoHenriksson

BoHenriksson New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm sorry, but..
    I am currently getting the WORST average mileage I've had in my 2006 with 25K on it since I bought it 6 months ago. Short trips around town and some on the death race on I40, AC full blasts with 100 and humid outside. So what is it?
    Yeah, that's right, 50. That's off the screen and not between tanks so that might be off a few percentage points or so, but still. On road trips, well see attached picture (if it comes up), this is one between Columbus OH and Greensboro NC. Over the mountains and AC on a good deal, cruise control on for part of it and speed limit plus a little. Absolutely no extreme gas saving techniques whatsoever, just every day driving. 61.7 mpg over 413 miles.

Something's wrong here....
    [attachmentid=10970]

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get between 40 and 60. if i drive "right".. which isn't how you would think.. then i get closer to 60. if i drive how i want, i get about 45. ( faster than anyone else, speeding, jackrabbit takeoffs, and steady but fast breaking at lights) If the car is full of concrete and lumber and i'm doing 80mph on the highway.. i get 38.. but i always averages to 40.

18. krazymadmann

krazymadmann New Member

I've had my 07 prius since 3/15/07 and lifetime avg is at 62.4mpg. lots of p&g in town and driving w/load on the hiway. first few tanks were around mid 50's then I found out "how to drive a prius" and wooohooo, now I get close to 70mpg avg.

madman

19. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cox813 @ Aug 28 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]503218[/snapback]</div>
    In general, keeping your speed below 41 MPH and learning Pulse&Glide technique along with predicable stoplight timings can lead to exceptionally high MPG on drives as long as yours.

The answer to your question depends on various variables.

For example:
    What speed would you drive on the Turnpike?
    What speed would you drive on Rte 130, Rte 1, Rte 18, etc.
    Are the stoplights rather random, or are they predictable?
    Are you willing to put time and effort into timing stoplights and learning P&G techniques?
    What is the topography like between home and work on each route?

In general, if you are willing to put in the effort, you'll probably get better mileage by staying off the Turnpike, but if you just want to get the best mileage you can without making any effort, cruise control on the Turnpike might be the way to go.

20. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Aug 28 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]503233[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, same thing with me. When I first got the car I was a mpg junkie so I drove slowly and "good" and I got around 48-55mpg, now I just drive however I want which is actually pretty bad. I floor it at most lights, drive 80 on the freeway, etc. I still get awesome mileage for the conditions. I'm also at 2800ft and I don't think elevation helps either since it makes the motor less efficient. I love love the fact that I can drive however I want (like a maniac) and still usually get 45mpg or so. That's totally awesome. In my accord (I'll grant it was a v6 and much more powerful) I got 27mpg or so if I drove "good" but if I drove it around pretty quickly and generally drove bad and did what I do in my prius (sit for long periods of time with the AC on and such) I got around 19-22mpg. I've owned a Viper and a Corvette Z06 and I can tell you performance isn't always as necessary as everyone acts like it is. Unless you are racing (really racing not just driving fast) the performance of the Accord vs. Prius the accord was MUCH faster but it really didn't make any difference. As long as something is good enough to pass and go 90-100 or so it's no biggie. I really love the Prius.