1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 1 Issue (2003)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by KitsuneVoss, Feb 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. KitsuneVoss

KitsuneVoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did not see a Gen 1 forum but have an issue with a Gen 1. My roommate has a Gen 1 Prius (2003) that is throwing a warning but no code. Is in the Hybrid system.

[​IMG]

Dealer cannot find the code and wants $800 to dig through the system. That includes no repair, just going through the system. I found a hybrid shop that I could get it towed to in order to get the car looked at.

What is the best option and anyone see this and can tell me what bit might be?

Edit: I am reasonably skilled both as a backyard mechanic and with computer repair. Is there anything I should try personally as well?

#1 KitsuneVoss, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  2. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PS is power steering. Main is HV battery discharge. The auto symbol means don't drive the car, IIRC. See 2003 prius dash symbols

You can't get codes with a ScanGauge?

#2 Trombone, Feb 15, 2023
  3. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you're good with computers get a "Techstream cable" or "J2534 cable" from Amazon for about $40, install the Techstream software on a laptop and see if you can read any codes yourself (y)

4. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will it give information that the Toyota dealer does not have access to?
    As I wrote, it was taken to the dealer and they could not find anything as far as code.

#4 KitsuneVoss, Feb 15, 2023
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People often forget to say (and I agree the design is confusing) that you have to look for which of those three icons get highlighted. In this photo, PS is grayed (no steering issue), battery is grayed (no battery issue), and the au!to tells you there are some other trouble codes present in the hybrid system, not steering- or battery-related.

Aftermarket scan tools will often fail to read codes from a Prius hybrid system. The dealer should have been using Techstream, and Techstream should have seen the trouble codes. My money is on operator error at the dealership.

6. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I doubt they even checked, or there was some operator error as ChapmanF wrote already.

For the sake of $40 I'd buy the cable and confirm the presence (of lack) of codes before taking it somewhere else for a second opinion

7. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered one from Amazon for $47 (about $51 with tax) but will not get until Friday. I was going to arrange to go to the hybrid shop Friday but sounds like maybe I should wait and see what I get myself? I honestly expected them to have better gear than I could get myself.

Now that I am thinking about, I had a conventional car with an issue. The people who ran the shop told me a whole bunch of stuff that was wrong. Turned out that they were blowing smoke and appear to have not actually checked anything. It was something really minor.

Edit: Have not brought it home but curious if I should pull the aux battery and take it to O'Reilly's? I thought I read that sometimes that battery going back can cause strange issues? If they did check the code, I get the feeling they checked nothing, even simple stuff.

#7 KitsuneVoss, Feb 15, 2023
    dolj likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you remove the 12v battery (without using a memory saver) all the codes will normally reset, so you'll lose whatever info is in there. Could be a good thing if the car starts working again, or could be bad since you'll definitely have no info to go with unless it codes again.

If the 12v is weak, it certainly is worth fixing that issue first.

9. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Note that I can reset the trouble light with the code reader I have, they just come back almost immediately.
    The Toyota dealership is not that far from where I live and I drove it there. It will still drive.
    I could just drive it to an auto part store and they could check the 12 volt battery.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of people say things like that usually after "reading it on the internet" but it doesn't make it true. It just gets repeated so often that people think it is so.

There are things that can happen if a battery is flat or worse, so getting the battery checked is a good idea. The battery has to be really low like 10 V or less before it causes issues with an otherwise ok Prius.

11. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In any case it looks like the next step is to wait to get the Tech Stream, see if I see any codes, and then go from there.
    If there are still no codes, maybe I can get some suggestions on stuff I can quickly check.
    If I get a code, can see how serious and whether something I can do.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  12. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did check the battery with the booster pack that also has a voltage monitor and got 12.6 volts. At least the battery appears good.
    Got the Techsteam today late, so test it tomorrow

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    After you setup techstream on a laptop, make sure you have the wireless connectivity disabled prior to starting it. When you open the program, it will try to go online to update and if you're using a bootleg copy, the program will lock up.

I don't know if the newer bootleg copies do this, but all the ones I've used, did.

14. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will say it is some sketchy software.

15. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Software is trash. Video is in Chinese so you cannot even tell what it going on.

Figured it out

#15 KitsuneVoss, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  16. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keeping getting this
    [​IMG]

Figured it out. Still a royal pain though.

#16 KitsuneVoss, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  17. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I was stuck on that same error for a while. The seller was nice enough to remote in and fix the issue. For me, the problem was the drivers for the scan tool had failed to install, so right-clicking on the device in Device Manager and choosing "Scan for hardware changes" fixed the issue.

18. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have codes. . . .What did the Toyota shop actually check?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The P3009 is pretty much identical to the P0AA6. My experience with the Gen 1 is they typically have horrible electrolyte seepage problems on the HV battery terminals. A good disassembly and cleaning could solve that problem.

The gen 1 also has the typical corrosion issues at the HV battery ecu plug where the voltage sensing harness plugs into the ecu.

20. KitsuneVoss

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How hard would it be for me to do that myself? Would the best bet be to watch a video on how to replace a first gen battery and clean it instead? Is the ECU you are referring to the Battery Control Module on the side of the Battery? I say a picture showing where it is. One of my roommates used to work on naval electronics so can help me with being safe with high voltage systems.