1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius gen 2 Engine not turning on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daniyal Rizvi, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Daniyal Rizvi

Daniyal Rizvi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    okay , so my car was running fine. A couple of days ago i had check engine light and upon scanning found out that oxygen sensor needs replacement. The car was running fine though. So i had my oxygen sensor changed. After that change the engine is not turning on, it is ready and is driving on battery fine but the engine is not turning on and on dash 3 lights appearing VSC , ( ! ) (yellow color break light with exclamation) , Red triangle with exclamation . these 3 lights (image attached) are on and on MFD red car with triangle on upper left corner appears and it says problem when starting the car.
    All happened after replacing the oxygen sensor , the mechanic did try to turn on the car with the previous sensor also but no luck.
    PS did try to reset everything by disconnecting the connectors on the 12V battery for 10-15 minutes

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You've mentioned that lights came on and error code pointed you to oxygen sensor... But then engine wouldn't start and "mechanic did try to turn on the car with the previous sensor also but no luck." So what are the error codes at this stage of the mechanics work and what did they recommend?

Is it possible that starting the engine so many times when it wouldn't start has worn down the Hybrid battery pact that performs that work and you need to charge the hybrid battery before engine will start?

3. rzk

rzk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hi? please let me know how you fix the problem. i am having the same issue.

thank you

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So the obvious thing for both these cases (even though the OP is probably long gone) is to read the codes that are obviously there. If you don't find any codes, then your scanner/reader is not good enough. Possibly it can only read the engine ECM and maybe the ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU and/or the SRS ECU.

Once you have the codes and share them here, we can be of much more help.