1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 2 gone weird

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sidecar, Apr 13, 2014.

1. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    fine yesterday
    get in it today, all the panel lights come up, and a warning on the screen

Caution:
    The transmission P lock mechanism is abnormal. Park your car on a flat surface, and fully apply the handbrake.

Car wont start,
    its been parked in the same place for the last 2 years without issue

I have limited tools and resources, rurally based
    003-HDR_internet.jpg

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

If you have HIDs and don't want to put cycles on them, just flick between off and parking lights. If you're on the original 12 volt, it's likely toast now and needs replacement.

You should be able to jump it but DO NOT reverse the polarity. If you do, you will most likely blow the inverter, which has a 4-digit price tag.

3. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    one more thing

at first car seemed dead
    pressed every button in the car, as you do
    pressed radio mode switch without having turned it on, and the radio came alive?

it is possible power was draining away all night on some false channel
    in which case

what do I need to do to recharge the battery ?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You could leave the car on in READY mode for 8 hours (see 2005 Prius beeps when door is open, then won't start | PriusChat from one of our resident Prius repair experts). I don't like doing that and never have.

I have Amazon.com: TecMate TM-141DUAL OptiMate 4DUAL 0.8Amp Weatherproof Desulfating Charger/Maintainer: Automotive.

But again, if you're on the original 12 volt, it's toast. Charging it will only help temporarily and it will likely go flat after not too long.

Please let us know 3 sets of voltages from the above test after the car has sat overnight or many hours. If it's in the bad state now, that should be good enough. Or you could use a voltmeter to check... I suspect it's very low.

5. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In an ideal world, I would be driving to work in this tomorrow

I dont have many options here
    Im 50miles from nowhere
    to have a new battery I likely have to get it myself

it will be pitch dark in 30 minutes
    I need to know, should I disconnect the 12v battery to recharge it or leave it connected
    anything else pertinent to the process

cheers

6. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have no idea what that guy was on about, and I cant wait the 2 yrs it might take for the gauge to be delivered

I get 9.6v across the poles, connected in the car, but no load
    I get 9.23v with the car turned as 'ON' as I can make it

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your 12 volt battery is very dead when it reads 9.x volts.

I charge my 12 volt while it's still connected and even use the jumping terminals in the front and have suffered no ill effects. IIRC, you should not charge at higher than 4.2 amps (see The Prius 12 volt charging system. | Page 2 | PriusChat). ‎ http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid03.pdf says to limit it to 3.5 amps on page 8. The AGM battery can be damaged if you charge it too fast.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you own the car parked in front of The Prius in the picture?

Because if it's yours and it runs, you might be using it until you can get a new battery.

9. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it doesnt run

Im guessing I cant use just any 12v battery ?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, it takes a smaller than usual battery w/a weird post size. The typical replacements are a Toyota OEM or New Optima 12v Yellow Top D51 battery with Pencil Posts | PriusChat. Another battery for the Prius. | PriusChat will work too.

There's been a lot of debate in the past about whether using a flooded lead acid battery is a bad idea. Examples:
    12 volt battery replacement info | PriusChat
    Got a refurbished Interstate Battery for $30 | PriusChat
    Got a refurbished Interstate Battery for $30 | PriusChat

http://priuschat.com/attachments/pg007-03-pdf.46114/ specifically says
    FWIW, I changed my Prius' battery to Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 + including Plug in. This was before the pencil post version came out. I had to replace the new negative cable and positive terminal back then (comes in the kit)

12. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I can see that
    The thing is, I reckon know what will happen here
    My local agent will contact Adelaide for a battery, who will contact Melbourne Toyota etc
    The thing will end up being put on a boat somewhere in Japan

At the end of the day though, it is just a 12v battery...
    similar in size to a motorcycle battery

I have work commitments this week that are going to seriously tilt a few wheels if I cant get them done
    as always, what happens in the future may very well depend on what happens today

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can jerry rig any 12v battery and the car will operate. but you have to be careful and consider your safety, as far as possible battery gas venting into the cabin and strapping it in properly. i would try charging the existing battery without disconnecting anything and see what happens. all the best!(y)

14. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok update

I had to check to see all was well
    Im not sure what could go wrong, shorted connection or something, whatever
    but everything seemed fine

So there I was with the keys in my hand, I just inserted the fob
    the system came to life, this time not all the lights that had been coming up lighted
    next thing, it started!

the park lock malfunction warning came up
    but after a few tries it selected a gear and the car was alive!

I took it for a spin round town so that if it died I wouldnt have to walk far
    and I got about 20km on it.

I feel it will probably be ok, but that I should get a replacement battery ASAP
    the relief! I left it on charge for until the morning

my sincere thanks to all..

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since it appears you have a charger, you might consider using the charger every night to keep the battery charged up. Hope you don't get stuck on the side of the road at one of your business stops during the day.

I realize you are down under, but you definitely need a new battery. 9 something volts is a dead duck. That battery when new will measure 12.8 volts minimum at the posts without any load.

The advice given above is the same I would say about the special battery and also the use of a regular battery. If you are in a pinch use a regular battery. You will find the posts will be bigger which means changing cables. That wont happen overnight for sure. If you can get the D51 Yellow Top shipped in, you can also get the adapter kit which will have the cable ends you will need for the conversion.

Here is a hint that might help you. You can lock your car while the Prius is in "Ready" mode. To do so, simply close all doors, then use the metal key that is stored in the keyfob. Lock the doors with that key. When you do that, the fob is disabled and you have to use the metal key to unlock the doors. After that the fob will work again.

If you are making multiple stops per day, you could do the above if the area is fairly secure. Bare in mind that anyone could theoretically break a window and drive off with your Prius. But it could be a way to keep the car going during your business day until you can get the battery.

It is rough when you only have one car and it is broken plus be out in the boondocks. I wish you the very best of luck.

Ron (dorunron)

16. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 2 key fobs, would that work?
    I could have the car started, and lock the doors with the other fob

in reality out here, it is unlikely to be stolen
    theyre small villages or communities who all know one another
    the chances of coming across an individual from outside who finds hiself without a car would be rare

V8 utility with lots of hot bits, someone might be tempted..
    steal a Prius for a getaway car? kinda hard to envisage ;)

I just wish I got going on the 12v battery some time ago
    I might have more options to play with

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you are asking will a second keyfob work if you lock the door with the metal key, the answer is NO. When you lock the door mechanically with the key, the keyfob is disabled UNTIL you unlock the door with the key. It is what it is, and as far as I know there really is not a way around it.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself may be able to give you a hint on how to use a fob after you have locked up with the metal key.

Also, if you do the above make sure you have plenty of fuel in the Prius. The ICE will cycle on and off to keep the traction battery charged up while the Prius is sitting there. If you were running the A/C, the ICE will run more often. You don't want to run a Prius out of gas. That can be a nightmare in itself at times. Best to always keep it no less than two pips unless you like playing Russian Roulette.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Down under Japanese Pencil Posts are not weird or that uncommon.

I don't know if you can get this (can't here in NZ) but this is a direct replacement option:

Exide Edge AGM Battery - FP-AGM51JIS

Otherwise, if you are going to go down the normal flooded acid type of battery route, then there are a few options.

A Bosch 46B19R, or any other good brand's group 46B24R/55B24R (the 55 is better) model such as Hella NS60APP, Century NS60, Exide NS60P/XS60P should all just drop in and are rated at 45 Ah. Make sure the posts are JIS PP. All these quoted models have their positive terminal on the left-hand side when the terminals are on the edge nearest to you. Ensure the battery you go for, has the terminals so configured.

I have used a Bosch successfully.

hope this helps.

cwerdna likes this.
  19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting... That's exactly what Patrick Wong used at Another battery for the Prius. | PriusChat.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear it worked out reasonably well for the OP.

Sounded like a bad situation....with darkness approaching, limited tools and resources, and a dead 12 volt, in what sounded like a very rural area.

So glad to hear the OP was able to get it started.

And yes...get a new 12 volt in ASAP.