1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 2 Malfunction Amber power button and shut down.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Debo160, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello folks. I have a generation 2 Toyota Prius. The car has run great for year. Im at 276,000 miles. Love the car. But I had a bit of a issue. The hybrid battery died. Replaced it with a used one and I guess the 12V battery died. I jumped the prius from the back which I have found out is a no no. I see a small spark and everything stopped. Now the car will not come on. It does get some power. The inside lights are working. The headlights are working. But that's about it. I changed a couple of fuses but nothing. Also when the door is open it will chime as usual. When you press the power button I just get the amber light. It will not to come on and just shut right down. Im not sure what Im missing. i hope I haven't killed it. You can still here the normal whining sound under the hood. but nothing else. Please let me know if anyone could be of assistance.

#1 Debo160, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! so what is the status of the 12v?

3. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The battery is brand new. But I did have to get it recharged because one of the interior lights had been left on.

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome on Board! Sorry you are having a problem. Your car has two batteries - a large capacity hybrid battery and a smaller 12 volt battery that is used to boot the car computers when you turn it on (and lights, etc.). It seems like the larger battery and the computers are not engaging properly, and that may be related to the jump.

As you know, jumping the car can cause issues. particularly if something is done incorrectly. There are protective fused embedded in the system that can be difficult to find and evaluate so you may need to find a hybrid-experienced mechanic to help you.

5. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

The smaller battery had been replaced with a new battery recently. The main or hybrid battery had died I Have a little bit of knowledge because of priuschat. But I would love to know how to do it myself. And save from toyota destroying my pockets. LOL

#5 Debo160, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are there any dash lights?

7. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No. If you push the power button they will blink and shut down. Amber light on the power button just blinks.

8. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Look for your main fuse in the large fuse box on the driver's side of the engine bay. It's a common fail safe component that gets sacrificed from doing it's job to protect the rest of the car when failed or improper jump starting of these cars occurs.

9. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is the main fuse correct?

Attached Files:

10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually I'd check the 120amp fuse that is on top of the 12v battery. It's legs are bolted in place so don't try to yank it out.
    The bolts are hidden underneath several layers of black plastic shielding that interlock with each other. Kind of like a jigsaw puzzle. It is under $30 from the dealer.

11. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah i thought that was the problem at first. But I used another one from the prius I removed the hybrid battery from to test that. Come to find out it was the fuse in the picture I posted. The break in the fuse was very hard to see. I pulled the new fuse from a wrecked prius in a junk yard. Installed it and she fired right up!!! Welcome back snow white! Thank you all for the tips.

timmyjane, bisco and valde3 like this.
  12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good.
    Basically check the easier fuses first and keep going through them until you find the cause.
    Glads it worked out!

13. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well we have some new news here. After changing the fuse and it lit up like a christmas tree I left the car alone. For a while. I have another prius and it been cold. So I decided to jump in the car to get it inspected push the power button and nothing. I jump the car (From the front now) and it powers on but does not READY. It will sound like the battery is about to connect but it doesn't. I plugged in tech stream and I received code p3004. After looking a little more I'm thinking did I burn out the hybrid system? I know that everything was fully functional before the fuse blew out. Is there another fuse that I may need to look at? I also noticed that the aftermarket radio is also dead. And the new battery keeps dying. I then take a look at the connectors in the hybrid battery. The left one seems to have a small chuck knock off it. And It looks as if there is a burn. If you guys can any help would be amazing, I thought I was out of the water. But hey I swim pretty good. ;);)

Attached Files:

#13 Debo160, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  14. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello again folks!! Im back but not with good news. As the weather has started to break I have had the chance to get back to snow white. After checking all three fuses I'm not exactly sure where else to go. The car will do a quick double click from the battery. And the READY light comes on for a short period then goes off. Any info giving will be more than appreciated. Im a tech by trade and I'm almost sure there is something simple I'm missing. Would the chip on end of the orange cable be the issue? The battery also always dies when left connected. Would it be possible that the inverter is gone? Also would I need to check any relays? Thanks again folks!!

#14 Debo160, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The orange insulation does look a little abraded. But I'm more concerned about the black on the connector. Looks like that puppy's been hot. P3004, if my info is right, would fit with damage to that connection. P3004 TOYOTA Power Cable Malfunction But it could be in the inverter.

But I don't see how that would drain your 12V battery if that's the one you say is dying when left connected.

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Go back to your P3004 code. Is it still there? You have Techstream, you should be able to get the three-digit INF code (my list shows three, 131, 132, 133) from freeze frame data. Then do a search for that and you should be able to find a troubleshooting tree. And yes, one of the possible causes is the inverter.

From a forensics viewpoint, and I'm no expert, it looks like that terminal got damaged when it was disconnected, probably when you changed the battery. Did you witness that? I'm also concerned by the dark color, and it looks like the wire insulation started to melt. That was more than a quick flash, there was some time involved to get that hot.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey JerryMildred. This kind of what I was thinking as well. Because the connection is cooked I might need to replace the cord or cables themselves. And yes it's the 12V battery that will die out. I have tried multiple batteries so i figured maybe the orange line or the inverter but possible both.

Hey Andrewclaus I will recheck the codes and get a accurate account so I will know those 3 digit numbers and report back to you guys. Yes I think I did. When it was taken apart I wrapped them in tape but somehow one of the ends has gotten chipped. Now the original flash came after the new well repair battery was installed. The flash came from the 12V battery not the hybrid one. After which the car died. and that was from the reverse polarity I'm guessing, even though they were correctly posted.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with jerry looks like a lot of current flowed there. And lots of corrosion where there shoul be none also on that bracket, not good in that area.
    I bet the hybrid battery interconnect buss bar system is rotten. Take the big metal cover off and inspect all bolts and bussbars. Should be no green corrosion. I bet there will be a lot.i bet the last battery rebuild interconnect was not addressed. I like to bet lol.

If corroded go no further.stop there and get the hybrid battery repaired.

And keep in mind if those battery connectors looked burnt up that means the whole hybrid system saw a lot of current especially the inverter.
    Check the fuse in the orange safety interlock .

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. Debo160

Debo160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    OK. Finally got a little time to jump on the car. When I ran Techstream I receive the following codes.
    P0A09
    P3004
    P3140
    B2799

C1259
    C1310
    B1421
    B2796

Im going to clear the codes later today and see what I get.

#19 Debo160, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Failed inverter