1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 2 modification log

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dppitone, Feb 16, 2019.

1. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We have an eleven year old 2007 "Gen 2" XW20 Prius that we bought new at the dealer. I plan on keeping it forever. It's my wife's car primarily, which she takes to work. So to bring it some new life, I'm going to be doing some sprucing and modifications. And log it here. Below are photos of the exterior, prior to modifications - Jan 2019. (Note: We live in Center City Philadelphia, where cars take a "city" beating.)

exterior-front-sm-vert.jpg

#1 dppitone, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    (1) Installed a new stereo system - Jan to Feb 2019

I used several references from Prius Chat to get information for how to do the new system. Here's the list of components, and some photos below -

Alpine CDE-SXM145BT head unit, installed in cubby space
    Alpine PDR75 5-channel Amp, installed in cargo box
    Infiniti Kappa 60.11cs component speakers in the front
    Infinity Kappa 62IX 6.5" Coaxial speakers in the rear
    Infinity Kappa 100.9w subwoofer

It sounds really quite good. The one addition I'd like to do is add a pair of 3-inch mid-range speakers in the front dash. The only other thing of note is that I left the front dash center speaker in place and connected to the original JBL amp, for the GPS audio and the various beeps and other sounds that the car produces.

headunit-vert.jpg

#2 dppitone, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  3. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    2. Insalled new floor mats - Feb 2019

These are Lund mats for the front and back. I bought them from Ebay. The part numbers and photos are below - (note that the "G" at the end of the part numbers indicate gray color).

Lund Floor Mat Set 583020-G: $61.33, including shipping
    Lund Floor Mat Set 783020-G: $43.90, including shipping (these are one piece with a middle saddle covering the drive shaft hump)

In our opinion they fit very good and look very good. We're pleased with them.

mats-fronta-vert.jpg

SFO likes this.
  4. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thinking about adding sound/vibration insulation next - in the doors, wheel wells, cargo area, and in front of the firewall and under the cabin carpet.

SFO likes this.
  5. Meekong

Meekong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks real nice. Congrats on a great sound system.

dppitone likes this.
  6. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks Meekong. It was a somewhat difficult job based on circumstance - because being a Christmas present I did the installation in January and it happened to be unusually cold outside. Also, I replaced all the speaker wires with 12 gauge, so had to deal with the door boots, etc, which added a few more hours to the project.

7. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    3. Noise Deadening

I'm getting the materials together for noise deadening. The setup is to use the "spray" in the wheel wells. And for behind the door panels, under the cabin carpet, under the rear cargo panel, and in the roof, the plan is (1) to first lay down one underlayer of the Noico 80 mil Butyl mats, and (2) cover that with a layer of the Noico Green 170 mil closed cell foam. My understanding is that it'll take about 90 sq ft plus/minus of the mat material, which it'd cost around $250.

Before I start, I'll do a benchmark decibel reading on the highway. And then after the installation, I'll do a 2nd highway reading to measure the change.

Here are the materials, all from Amazon -

$10.50 per can - Design Engineering Boom Mat Spray-on Sound Deadening

$33 for 18 sqft - Noico Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener

$50 for 36 sqft - Noico Green Sound Insulation, Closed Cell Foam

boom-matspray-horz.jpg

Meekong likes this.
  8. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    4. Phone holder

I'm in the process of installing/applying the sound deadening material. I'll post pictures and the results of the change in decibels when I'm done. In the meantime I put this simple $10 phone holder on the dash and my wife loves it. She doesn't know how she lived without it. It has a weird suction cup for attachment that is really something. It's called the Magic Mount MAGWSM2. Below is a picture of it installed and the Amazon link.

phoneholder.JPG

9. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    5. Wheel Covers

I plan to change out the wheels and tires, and go up to 17s. But in the meantime, I picked up this set of Pilot Spyder gun metal wheel covers. They were $38 "open box" on Ebay. Below is the Ebay link, and a photo where I mocked them up in photo shop to see how they'd look generally. I'll post a real picture when I get them. After this is done, I plan to put black/grey style headlight and taillight housings in.

before-vert.jpg

10. BigBadSubaru

BigBadSubaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My Gen2 had an aftermarket stereo in it when I bought it, installed in the OEM radio location with what I gather is a Scosche installation kit. The deck it came with was a JVC that lacked Bluetooth (but did have a front USB port that could be used for iPods etc...), and the factory Bluetooth still worked, although it did not like my iPhone (Call would last ~20 seconds and then it'd hang up). Since I had just bought a Pioneer receiver with Bluetooth for my Corolla, I swapped it into the Prius and put the JVC in the Corolla. Opened the dash up to do the swap and found it had a Pac Audio rp42-ty11 in there. They are not cheap (~$100 from Crutchfield but it won't let me post a link) but all the steering wheel controls work, and it retains the stock JBL amplifier, and the beeps all work, and the nav system voice comes through the driver's door speaker. (Mine does not have the center speaker, although mine is a 2004 so that might be it). Only problem is every now and again when I turn the car on I get an "AUDIO OFF" notification in the center display and it mutes the radio, but usually only for a few seconds and then it comes back on. I also snagged a navigation DVD update off eBay for $12, thought it was OEM as the picture on the auction was an OEM disc but I got an inkjet-printed DVD-R in the mail :-|

11. dppitone

dppitone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did the navigation disc update your system?