1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius gen 2 Pa006 614 Please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius bob, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so lets get started. So i got code pa006 526/614. I followed the diagnostic flow chart. Tested the frame wire. Got a bad test. Went back to the hv battery to do an independent test of the frame wire and noticed the relays were burnt up. So i got a new hv battery because it came with all of the relays, resistors and cpu with a lifetime warranty. Installed the battery. Tested the frame wire independently it tested good. Installed the frame wire. Went to the front and retested the frame wire, tested good. So that led me to believe the inverter was bad. Today i swapped the inverter. Started to drive and got the red triangle about 1/4 mile down the street. I am currently at a loss of what else this could be. Any insight or input is more than welcomed. Thanks in advance if someone can point me in the right direction.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I Presume you mean P0AA6 526/614, no?

Unless you ordered an ECU in addition to the hybrid vehicle battery, an OEM HV battery does not come assembled with a battery ECU. So, I'm thinking you bought some kind of refurbished battery. If this is correct, there could be issues contained within the replacement equipment that you might not be aware of.

P0AA6 526/614 does point to the inverter, so you would need to work through the diagnostic tree for that branch. It is not the easiest fault code, but not impossible.

FYI, as you are a new member with less than 5 posts your next 3 or 4 posts will be moderated.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One easy way to catch that kind of a typo before posting is to remember that the second character of a DTC can only be a digit zero, one, two, or three. So PA anything would be right out.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is this business with adding an unedited quote, no relevant info, and a question mark, on a thread where someone has posted a question and others are at work on responding to it?

6. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes sorry for the typo. I have worked through the diagnostic tree as i explained in my post. As of right now. I get a good reading on my megger when testing the frame wire from the inverter back. Which lead me to believe the inverter was the problem as stated in the flow chart. I replaced the inverter and still get a the triangle. The battery tests good and yes it is a refurbished battery with a lifetime warranty.

7. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What question do you have i would be glad to answer it.

bisco likes this.
  8. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still no one can even point me in the right direction/to a thread. Im trying to solve this problem actively. Been at the junk yard for the last 3 weekends.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you update us on the most current trouble codes and INF codes since the last work that you did on the car?

Can you detail the exact placement of your megger probes and condition of the frame wire in the test where you determined it to be good? Those details have been important in the past.

SFO likes this.
  10. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as trouble codes go i haven't had them checked since the battery replacement and inverter replacement. The P0AA6 526/614 was the only code it pulled at the dealership.

For the frame wire test i first unplugged the negative battery cable. Then the hv plug. I unplugged the frame wire at the front and tested both the inner and outer metal pieces in the plug. I got a bad test on 3 or the 4 connections. Both of the outer pieces tested bad and one of the inner pieces. Then i went to the hv battery and disconnected the frame wire to test it independently. Intested it from back to front and got a good test. Then i retested it from the front back while it was disconnected. Got a good test on the inner and outer part of the plug.

After this i replaced the hv battery because there was an obvious fault. One of the relays was completely fried. As well as the orange wire on the other relay. Picture below.

Once the new battery was installed it drove for maybe 1/4 mile before the triangle came back on.
    So i then retested the frame wire from the inverter back and got a good test on all parts of the wire. Which led me to believe the inverter was at fault because thats what the flow chart says.

I replaced the inverter and the same thing happened. Drove it around the block and the triangle came back on.

I am going to try and clean up the the leads that connect to the relays to see if that helps. Other then that im at a loss.

20220319_144017.jpg

11. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also thanks ChapmanF, I appriciate any advise you have to give.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you give more detail on these tests? Test leads located where and where, meter set for what, reading what?

13. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tested where the arrows are pointed at 500V.
    20220406_110404.jpg

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I am counting right, before the battery replacement you made six tests, three of which you report as bad and three of which you report as good; then after the battery replacement, you made some more tests (unclear how many) and report all of those as good.

That sounds like maybe around ten or a dozen tests all told, with some results that reportedly changed after replacing the battery. I'm trying to follow from a distance, so the better the picture I can draw, the more help I can be. By the way, what was your criterion for reporting a test as good or bad?

15. Prius bob

Prius bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well i just hooked up a used frame wire and got no triangle. I let the engine cycle a few times and took it for a short drive. So now i think when the relays got burnt up it must have fried some part of the frame wire.

Another question that i have is, what could cause the relays to get burnt up so bad? Could the inverter have caused that?

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looked to me almost as if that nut hadn't been properly torqued. Heat from a poor connection will do that.

I was asked once to look at a church's air conditioner on a hot Sunday, and found a 10 gauge copper wire that had melted right through as if it were a fuse, and disconnected itself from the terminal, which was barely tight.

On the other hand, something like that could also have started with contact deterioration inside the relay, with the heat conducted up that stud. Hard to say.

I've never had the cover off the battery of my 2010. This is making me think about doing that, maybe look around with a thermal imager while some current's being drawn.