1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 2 PHEV conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by baradhili, Jul 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. baradhili

baradhili Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,
    I'm looking to breath life into my Prius Gen 2.. my wife is mostly using it for school shuttle in winter/mid summer - so it is often only doing 1km round trips (not happy for the engine).

It is the "luxury" model so there is an EV switch as a factory install, but teh EV cuts out on moderate acceleleration or when it goes past 42kmh on gentle...

Soo I'm looking to modify it to a PHEV, suggestions are to put an OrionBMS in "because it has special software" .. but Orion has no doco on their site and told me they would only directly assist if I was modding many Priuses...

Soo - what I am looking for is some advice as to what works, what allows the Prius to happily run in EV mode like a normal EV (wife non-technical) etc...

Thanks in advance
    Bret

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you want more ev with the same battery? not gonna happen.

you want to add more battery and more ev range? a difficult proposition at best. you can find several examples by googling the keywords and looking at priuschat hits.

there have been more failures than successes, even with kits, due to the complexity of the prius system.

it can be done, but it isn't cheap or easy, and there is no proven successful path.

most gave up 6 years ago when toyota came out with the first prius phev.

here's a fellow who has had some success in your neck o the wood: @lopezjm2001 , you can start a conversation with him.

all the best!(y)

Raytheeagle and Data Daedalus like this.
  3. baradhili

baradhili Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah looking at teh PHEV with more battery path... but got the feeling that it might not be worth the effort...
    Thanks for the link

4. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No real options left in Australia. PIS went bust. Norm Dick gave up supplying his BMSplus. Best option is waiting for the Hyundai Ioniq PHEV to come out. You can register your interest on their website.

bisco likes this.
  5. baradhili

baradhili Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.. though I never buy new cars.. I'm a cheapo... might get a s/h leaf instead

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking of a used leaf as well.