1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 3 HV battery replacement - NiMH or ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by EngMarc, Sep 26, 2017.

1. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    He's as big of a techie as one can get. He sells his own packs. Probably testing Chinese cells against the OEM.

Pixel XL ?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What you are talking about is a combination of two things. The first is that without proper pressure, the cells will expand like a balloon and pop. That's why the packs have those huge metal bars squeezing all the packs together as well as every module being screwed into a metal frame in 2 places. NiMH gets hot and tries to expand. It will expand if you let it. Most of these battery chargers do not have a custom frame to hold and squeeze a Prius module. If you charge slowly enough you won't make much heat, it won't expand. Problem solved. My cells are cylindrical so that solves the problem mechanically from the start. My cells can be fully charged and discharged on the bench with no extra forms. The metal cylindrical shape squeezes the cell together.

The second thing is the cheap low end stuff most people use. You are using hobby chargers and things that are cobbled together for $100 or maybe a few hundred bucks. I use lab equipment. Professional grade lab equipment. My electronic loads can do killowatts a piece discharging, and I have a few of them up to about 300V input. At around 8v like a fully charged OE Prius cell I can pull 120A all day long without a single load breaking a sweat. I also can charge them up. I have a 3-phase power supply hooked into commercial power line and it will output between 0v and 400v DC, up to 50KW. So again, at 8v, I can pump 120A into a module all day long. This setup and equipment alone easily reaches the 6-figure mark in price. I doubt your average Prius hobbiest will spend $150K on power supplies, loads, and electrical service upgrades to run it all.

ASRDogman, iskoos, mjoo and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao! This enlightening.

4. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A Li-titanate (LTO) pack was designed and tested a decade ago. This was done on a Gen 2 Toyota Prius by the company EnerDel. See
    EnerDel Presentation LMO/LTO

5. MotasemBT

MotasemBT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    any updates so far ?

6. Cheryl A

Cheryl A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Purchased the new replacement battery pack $1600. My husband replaced it and it operates exactly as the original. Consistent 48-52 mpg.
    Now the test will be how long it will last but so far extremely pleased!

royrose and Grit like this.
  7. abubin

abubin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting project but looks like abandoned? .

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, they all come here with so much hope and determination, then quietly slip into the night...

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just like those people who come and post that they will revolutionize a 10 year old prius with a new battery with a fancy smancy company name, and then.....crickets.