1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius gen 3 not taking enough coolant after flush

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by IDs mak, Jul 14, 2021.

1. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi everyone my Prius gen3 is overheating and then I noticed a water pump fail I changed the water pump but I did not change the thermostat because I did not know about the need of changing thermostat so I ordered the part now I will change thermostat when it arrives
    In the meantime when I was trying to flush my coolant I opened the bottom drain of the radiator to flush out all the coolant from the reservoir and the radiator and once there was no more coolant coming out I put the drain cap back and I tried to put the coolant back in the reservoir but I could only put half the gallon in the car and it's not taking enough I think it's less is it took less than half gallon .
    I noticed also that my reservoir does not seem to be showing the bubbles or the movement that is a typical of a working coolant motor so I'm just at loss of ideas I'm also waiting for the thermostat to arrive once it arrives I will change it but I don't know if and how should I take out the air bubble from the radiator up apparently I opened the the with the drain cap and flush out everything that was possible but still seems to be not taking the two gallon coolant which everybody else thinks these cars take

2. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I notice the hose in the top of reservoir is getting hot as car approaches 180 F coolant temperature without any fan or coolant motor action. But the coolant in reservoir is cold as it was .

3. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Before I change the coolant pump the code p261b was being thrown

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Be sure to leave the cap off to initially bleed a gen3. The year helps as early gen3s are different. A good drain may only produce 1.25 gallons and takes some time. Ideally you measure the volume removed but you were probably low.

It is possible to have an electrical issue with the pump. You won't have movement of engine coolant until the thermostat opens.

#4 rjparker, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  5. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes I left the cap open during bleeding and let the car sit for 2 hours
    I leave the cap open during refill to burp the air out.
    Mine is 2013

Old pump was definitely jammed I couldn't spin it easily.

Thanks for your response.

6. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Should I try to release the air from coolant temp sensor .. I tried to open the drain valve in the bottom of radiator, to see if it would take a difference but no noticible drop in the reservoir level. Air is probably in the higher spot ir coolant sensor location to release it .

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What year is the gen 3 you're changing coolant on?

2010 and 2011 model years have a bleed screw, which should be left open during refill (to allow air to vent freely during the fill process), at least till coolant starts flowing out. It's directly above/behind the EGR cooler/valve, a black plastic junction with a white screw cap (which is the bleed screw. There's also a spigot you can push a piece of clear tubing on, basically to avoid spillage.

For model year 2012 on, there's a similar junction, albeit WITHOUT the bleed screw. I think in that's your case you could pull off a coolant hose at that junction, just leave it off while you fill, till coolant starts coming out.

Attached is Repair Manual excerpt with the engine coolant instruction.

8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You need one of these Airlift type tools. Changing coolant and getting all the air out takes no more than 15-20 minutes.

They even sell one at Harbor Freight.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've only changed mine twice, soon to be 3 times, and have not had any problems.
    Maybe they are filling too fast? I go very slow, and squeeze the hoses.
    And after driving it for 5-10 minutes and letting it sit overnight, I've only had to add a cup or so.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My car is 2013 without the bleed screw.
    I removed the coolant sensor and do the whole drill again. Without much luck. My car does not seem to take more than 3/4 gallon of coolant.

I left it running for 31 minutes in maintenance mode with ac and heat running alternatively and temp kept crawling up max 219 F after which I turned off.

I guess either the thermostat is locked close ? Or radiator is clogged.

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have never had an issue with air bleeding. It bleeds itself within a cup by simply pouring in the coolant. It might drop a half inch when the thermostat opens and flow is observed from the bottom reservoir hose. No flow and no code? I would "cool it" until the thermostat is replaced.

Does the fan ever come on? Does it energize with the ac? If its no in either case, fix the fans. Check for power at the fan connector. Power is there? Change the fans.

918C97C2-3138-4F7E-A7E5-4171A18C8CE1.jpeg

#11 rjparker, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What I would like to see is the corresponding Repair Manual excerpt for model year 2012 on. Did they decide they didn't need the bleed valve because bleeding works well enough without it? Or do they actually say to take a hose off?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Fans never come on either with ac or without. .

I will check them.

14. Adrian Bryan

Adrian Bryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So it's not this easy?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's really about as easy as what he does, but it's not what he does. Kind of weird to see a "Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician" ignore the repair manual like that.

Unless I missed it, he didn't point out where the B line on the engine coolant reservoir is, or what it's for.

There is a line marked "B" that is up above the line marked "FULL". To fill and bleed the system, you pour coolant in all the way up to the B line, install the reservoir cap, and run the engine in maintenance mode all the way up to full operating temperature and at least seven minutes longer.

During that time, you can watch air bubbles being delivered into the reservoir through its top hose, and the coolant level dropping down closer to the FULL line, as it is trading places with the air.

When you shut it off, it may still look a bit above FULL because the fluid is hot, but let the engine cool down again to ambient temperature and, if your experience is anything like mine, the level will be right at FULL like the engineers had the whole procedure dialed in. (If it ends up below FULL by a bit, you just top it up to FULL at that point. I've never had to.)

I'm not saying other people can't have success doing it other ways than what the manual says, but that's the procedure in my 2010 Toyota repair manual and hasn't ever let me down.

Because my car's a 2010, I have the bleed valve in that hose tee, which the manual says to have open while filling the reservoir. They removed that valve for 2012. I'm still curious to see what the procedure changed to in the 2012 manual. Maybe that's what the guy in the video was following?

16. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it is that easy. The Op is not getting radiator fans to come on. He is either not waiting long enough or he has a fan oriented problem.

Both the mechanic and I leave the cap off while its bleeding.

17. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I replaced the thermostat and refilled the Coolant about 1.5 gallons which sounds about the right quantity. But my fans are still not coming On.
    Tried the Ac fan on while engine was on but radiators fan don't come on.
    Checked the 3 relays and fuse #27. All good.
    I swapped the relays with my other prius 2011 which works fine .so relays are good .
    My car when parked in maintenance mode running for 30 minutes on a hot 89f day came close to 211F without radiator fans .

Ect seems fine as I am getting the coolant temperature from app.
    All connectors are secured properly in place.

18. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How do I hot wire the fans to test if the fan motors are both gone bad ?

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I noticed that, which is why I added the info that the repair manual explicitly says to put the cap on, and that the repair manual method has worked well for me.

That never means there aren't other methods that people can have success with, but readers are entitled to know how the manufacturer said to do it, and make their own informed choices on alternatives.

Easiest, most convenient access is probably at the relay sockets. I've had for many years an old-school "remote starter" button (just a comically oversized pushbutton with several feet of wire and a couple of clamps, made to clamp onto an old car's starter solenoid and easily crank it from outside the car). That, with a couple terminal-sized metal blades to stick in the relay socket, makes a tidy way to test various relay-controlled things.

Of course you still then have the socket itself and the little run of wiring from there to the fan included in what you're testing. There's nothing tricky about testing right at the fan itself, other than maybe cramped access getting to its electrical connector.

20. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The ac compressor has to be on to engage the radiator fans, not just the ac blower fan.

I would check the power at the radiator fan cable. Fans do go bad. When the fans are on low they are wired in series. So one bad fan will keep both off. When commanded high, each fan independently gets full 12v power.

I prefer diagnosing with a voltmeter rather than jumping power at relays because a wrong jump on a relay coil could damage the ecm. Jumping directly at the fan with the cable disconnected is safer although it is usually redundant at that point.

#20 rjparker, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021