1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius gen 3 not taking enough coolant after flush

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by IDs mak, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wnen I changed our engine coolant last fall, I also glossed over the bit about the B-line. I did open the bleed valve (only an option on 2010~2011 model years...). After that, I ran the car in maintenance mode, cap off reservoir and funnel at the ready for top up, for close to half an hour, and finally gave up. Level might have dropped a miniscule amount, not sure. A few days driving and everything seemed completely stable.

Oh, and I DID heed the repair manual guidance to drain the block (through bleeder valve round back, and this is what I got:

upload_2021-7-21_12-40-16.png

And yes, that colour IS drained fluid. It IS 10 year or 160K kms, whichever comes first, lol.

FWIW, my notes say drain qty was roughly 4.25 liters, say 4.5 qts. Probably could have got more if I'd disconnected a hose from the exhaust coolant heating circuit, but it looked a little too involved.

2. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I chexked the voltage on both fan connectors with ac on at max fan setting. I noted 13/14 volts on both. As I was thinking of taking it the fans out to inspect. I noticed there was a lot of dust and leaves in and around the fans. I decided to tab the motors and observed a lot of dirflying on every tap.. so I decided to dealwoth it. Using high power blower and vacuums. Took off the bumper and radiator was blowing a lot of dust and debris so I cleaned the motors till garbage stopped coming out. And after that i tried and the fans work. . I tored 10 times more in an hour or so and every time the fan are working. With ac on as well as when the coolant temp raises abovd 180F .
    Wondering if I should return the fan assembly or should still replace it.

Good thing is that fans are both working really good and my car is not showing the old symptoms . Ac is cold and heat is hot as expected.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If they are running you are good. The oem fans are generally better than aftermarket. You must have had a ton of trash in there to stop their rotation.

4. IDs mak

IDs mak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I heard the humming noice as if the motor was trying to turn as I turned on the ac but the blades were not spinning . It was easy to rotate with hand. But still. May be the clutch was stuck or something but I did tap them both really good in effort to get them cleaned.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With that much debrief in the fans, you should back flush the radiator & condensor.
    They are probably clogged as well.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would hope he cleaned them when he had the radiator out

ASRDogman likes this.