1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 4 Touring vs basic model headlight difference

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Terror404, May 24, 2018.

1. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    hello,

I have bought a 2016 touring prius recently, car is on the way and has a broken headlight. I would like to buy headlight from ebay and I was told that touring headlight differs from that of basic model. Do you guys know what is the difference and how can I distinguish one form the other based on ebay pix.Mostly sellers do not know themselves which headlight they are selling.

from pics of the car I suspect it is trim 3 touring, as it does not have parking sensors.

Do you guys know how to find trim level from vin? is there any web-resource for that?

Thanks in advance

2. antani1971

antani1971 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    You can find detailed specifications on toyota-tech.eu -> owner -> campaign information

I think trim level is not available but you have finer detail on what is fitted and what is not.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Wait, you bought from the dealer or private seller?

If you bought from a private seller, then know that its an expensive headlight as the whole thing is a single unit and costs in the neighborhood of $1200.

Toyota owners site (Toyota Owners Official Web Site) should be able to tell you what you got though.

RCO likes this.
  4. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought it at an insurance auction, what do you mean by complete unit?
    2017 prius headlight | eBay

loads of lights here, but I do not want to miss anything before buying,some say tourings are equipped with different lights

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a difference.

The Touring models have the chevron (or wishbone or Y) part of the headlight illuminated with LEDs as the parking lights.

Bi-Beam_LED.jpg

The non-Touring models do not have an illuminated Chevron/wishbone/Y section and instead, use the turn signals as the parking lights (See below - the turn signal is on, as it doubles as the forward-facing parking light)

priusheadlight.jpg

6. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thanks, now I get it,but as far as I understand there is no telling which car the light is from until it is illuminated,right?

7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's:
    upload_2018-5-25_10-21-48.png vs upload_2018-5-25_10-22-21.png

Though - all ours here are the same (similar to the silver car), but that looks like the difference between those 2 lights. Maybe you could peruse photos in Cars.com or similar - or have a look at in a 2nd hand car yard.

Terror404 likes this.
  8. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I searched the photos and there is no telling until it's lit, if anyone is interested out there besides me :((

douson likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From @Tideland Prius posted photos, can you compare with one in a car yard, it might be more obvious from a real car. The other option is to check with a TOYOTA dealer's spare parts - hopefully they'll co-operate even though they won't get a sale out of it.

Possibly nobody else has faced this dilemma - as it's likely to only have been of interest if the car has been in an accident. And, if a headlight is involved (@ $1200-1500), insurance would have sorted it out for them. I've been on PriusChat since before Gen 4 was released, and there's been almost no discussion on headlights, and none on replacing one that I can recall.

10. Terror404

Terror404 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Happy to hear I am the first one to ask, although that does not solve the problem for me. My issue is that I have to buy it from ebay (as it gets about 4 times cheaper than new) and no one lists that from touring or maybe they do not know the difference themselves

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The headlamp unit assemblies and their Toyota part numbers are shown in parts catalog Figure 81-01, Headlamp, for the Three Touring and Four Touring:

UNIT ASSEMBLY, HEADLAMP, RIGHT (81140-47741)
    UNIT ASSEMBLY, HEADLAMP, LEFT (81070-47741)

These parts are different from the ones used on other grades of the Prius. Note that cars made before February 2016 used a different part on the left.

If you are buying on eBay, check the part number; you don’t want a headlight designed for right-hand-drive Prius cars sold in Japan, Europe, or the Antipodes, with beams aimed for left-hand traffic.

I’d also suggest waiting until you can inspect the car and do some basic troubleshooting. It would be unfortunate to buy a new assembly and then discover, for example, that the problem is just a defective connector or broken mounting hardware, for which the catalog shows some repair parts.

12. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    OP did state the headlight was "broken", which I immediately thought was related to the outer plastic being cracked, in which case the entire assembly must be replaced. If "broken" means anything else, then the OP should follow your instructions...

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Check online Toyota dealerships as well. McGeorge Toyota is one I often use for reference. Haven't needed anything enough to order from them, and I don't think they ship to Canada. A quick check of EBay, new items at least, McGeorge were "cheaper"*:

Headlamp Components for 2016 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

* I put the term "cheaper" in quotation marks, because the current headlight styles and their prices are sickening, to put it politely.

14. fsab888

fsab888 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Hello,
    You are wrong. First pic led headlight not US spec. It's for eastern and European Prius.
    I'll tell you the complete story. I'm from Oman, normally, I'm buying cars from US Auctions. I purchased 2016 toyota prius Two eco with front collision. I used Oman's prius VIN number to buy front headlights because no parts available for US prius such ( headlights and cooling system parts. After that I found out there is a big difference between the US headlights and Middle East spic, ( wiring, led and main led unit) I totally opened the new headlights and I fixed the internal parts from the broken old headlights. Middle east spec still using old headlamps control unit in each headlamp, but US spec not. 20180208_142538.jpeg 20180423_105304.jpeg

SM-G955F ?

15. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here are my old prius 4 touring lights with just the parking lights on. I usually switch these on as my daytime running lights.

Edit... whoops I forgot to white out my license plate. Well the car is totaled now anyway and that plate is not working.

Inked20170218_185929_LI.jpg 20170218_185853.jpg

RCO likes this.
  16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are mine - Australian spec 1) Headlight; 2) Parking light; 3) parking with FOG; 4) DRL
    upload_2018-7-25_16-13-50.png

Tideland Prius, RCO and Tyfly like this.
  17. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Same set up as we have in the UK (y)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. dml996

dml996 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a similar issue. I just purchased my 2017 ( 3 non touring ) it has had a prior front end impact from the prior owner and has been repaired however after reading this i'm wondering if they IMG-0884.JPG IMG-0885.JPG replaced one of the headlights with a touring headlamp right side or do i have a defective DRL on the left side?
    I was looking online but found very little information about these headlights and if i can access the internals to add the DRL option or am i stuck replacing one side.

PedroHCBrandao likes this.
  19. PedroHCBrandao

PedroHCBrandao New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    i have this exactly same issue. Did you figure out how to replace the parking led light ? Or you replaced the whole unit ?

20. Wisam

Wisam New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It’s for auto high-beam. The headlight communicates with the front camera sensor thru the EPM to control the intensity of light.