1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen 4 vs. RAV 4 Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by kgall, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at the Prius Gen 4, to replace my 2010 Prius Gen 3.

My wife is pushing me towards the RAV 4 Hybrid, which would replace both the Prius Gen 3 and our 2003 Subaru Forester.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with the new RAV 4 Hybrids. I noticed that it would be possible to get the new safety equipment on them same as the new Prius.

Any and all comments would be welcome, both on Prius vs. RAV 4 and on RAV 4 generally.

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like you'll be better off with the RAV4 since you're replacing your Forester (I'm assuming you "off road"). If you don't need the space or off-road capability, go with the Prius Gen 4. You can't really go wrong with either, except the RAV4 doesn't get Prius-level MPG.

I haven't driven the RAV4 Hybrid, by the way.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the RAV4 won't beat your Forester on off-road capability but if you're just needing AWD for snow or light gravel roads, the AWD-i system will work just fine. I drove the RAV4 Hybrid Limited (so it had the 18" wheels). It rode fairly stiff (the XLE on the 17" might be a bit more comfortable). It drove fine and like most Toyota hybrids, it's a bit noisy under full throttle. However, visibility is great and so is the seat position. It's not too high or too low. I'm fairly tall and I had lots of room.

The RAV4 is the best seller (after the Corolla) in Canada. Doesn't matter which major city I'm in, I see lots of them of various generations.

kgall likes this.
  4. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! We won't be doing serious off-roading, but we are planning to move to Washington state, so snow and gravel roads are a likelihood. Are all of the Prius' new safety features available on the RAV 4 hybrid, or just most of them?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TSS-P, BSM and RCTA are available on the RAV4 Hybrid. The only thing I'm unsure of is whether the DRCC in the RAV4h is full-speed like th Gen 4 or operates above 25mph like the Gen 3.

The RAV4h does not have a HUD or S-IPA or ICS but it does have PanoramaView and Bird's Eye View camera.

parkerbol and kgall like this.
  6. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again!
    I think I got most of the acronyms except S-IPA and ICS.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    S-IPA = Simple Intelligent Parking Assist. Toyota seems to waver between that and APGS (Advanced Parking Guidance System). APGS is what Lexus calls it.

ICS = Intelligent Clearance Sonar. This is the set of 12 sonars that the car uses to detect if you're about to hit something at slow speeds and stop the vehicle or warn you. (Basically smarter parking sensors)

Video describing ICS' Drive-Start control

Video describing ICS' parking support and S-IPA (at that time, called IPA2)

#7 Tideland Prius, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    kgall likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Found a source of an answer:

upload_2016-4-23_13-57-39.png

From this video:

9. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you drove it off roading? Haven't seen any off roading review, except the following.
    Toyota's RAV4 Hybrid Is an All-Wheel-Drive Beast | Outside Online

10. PurpleGecko

PurpleGecko Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just bought a Prius (well, ordered not delivered yet), but I was seriously tempted by the RAV4 hybrid. I test drove it and was really impressed despite all the motoring press writing it off.

It is spacious, has excellent visibility, and I thought it drove fine. I liked the back seat and boot space and the fuel economy is good for a car in its class.

However, I live in the UK with busy, congested roads and the size was both an advantage and disadvantage for me. Although I live in a city (squeezing into very tight parallel spaces is the parking norm) my commute is across narrow country roads and the scourge of SUVs doesn't really help (except on the occasional day of snowy weather.)

The fuel economy, while good for its size, is nothing on the Prius and the AWD is basically awful; totally pointless (some proper winter tyres would make a much bigger difference) and your Subaru would handle incliment conditions much more successfully.

The HSD is nothing like as smooth as the new Prius, but it still drives ok, but the safety kit isn't as good, and in the UK at least, the spec levels are ridiculous, (sat-nav standard in lower trims but not the highest trim???). Overall, I liked the RAV4, but in the UK there are countless crossover SUVs to choose from and the RAV4 probably isn't the best. The Prius, on the other hand has the best hybrid system you can buy and safety and tech levels that are best in class. It is also cheaper to buy, run and service.

All that being said, the RAV4 is good looking and the Prius (and I feel I can say this since I've just bought a 4 and currently own a Gen 2) is ugly as all hell.

11. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    #11 Steve Lee, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  12. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid