1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen III buyers heritage/nationality poll

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by darkleafar, Aug 24, 2009.

?
  1. White/Caucasian

84 vote(s)
    67.2%
  2. Asian American

24 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. African American

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Native American

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Hispanic American (born in the US)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Hispanic Native (not born in the US)

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Other

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    it's really difficult to get everyone to fit exactly into those groups and to name/divide them in ways that satisfies everyone, so i'm happy with the way it is. the trend is to make it not 1 circle you have to pick but multiple checkboxes (ex. half asian/white, african from africa, etc.)

fyi I am Asian born in America. I am quite surprised that there aren't more Asians on this site; it is, after all, a Japanese car! (I'm sure that the Japanese version of PriusChat would be quite different lol)

2. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for your correction! However, I did know the difference between hispanic and latin. It's just that I intentionally meant those who are spanish speaking (officially) because they represent the largest percentage of latinos in the US. I mean the University of Houston is the most diverse University in the world and I only met 2 latino people whose official language was not spanish lol (both brazilian) Anyway again, i wish I could represent everybody on the poll but it is simply impossible. I guess I could have put latino instead of hispanic. Either way people, please remember I cannot change the poll. Only a moderator can...so if you really feel something should be changed, please let the moderator know, specially HTMlspinner since he's already done it once. Thanks

3. Fujisan

Fujisan Blizzard Brigade #309

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might have something there.

My wife is from China and she learned to drive in various small European cars but always complained that she could not get comfortable in them or get a correct driving position.

When it came time to buy her own car, she instantly found that she could get a proper driving position in Japanese cars (she now has a little Daihatsu) because she says that they were designed for the Asian frame and physique. Personally I think that is all in her mind, I am a completely different shape, size and wieght to wife and have never had a problem getting comfortable in my Toyota's, but if she is happy, and she is very happy :p, then I'm happy. :kiss:

4. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure this poll proves anything, given that any internet poll on ethnicity is going to skew pretty much the same way.

5. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To be honest with you, I never intended to prove anything. I was just curious. lol

6. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Hispanic is more representative because it encompasses the majority of Latin America. I guess bloody Brazilians :D can just fit in the other category... to be quite honest, most Brazilians, myself as an example, have problems to stick to any heritage because of our diversity, maybe the most diverse population in the world...

Look at me, my parents are Brazilians but...

Mother's side: My grandma is Italian, came in a ship after the world war and was near to loose her life in the long trip... my grandfather was Portuguese, did not migrate after war but came after very difficult economic environment in Europe in that time.

Father's side: Grandmother was a daughter of Spanish parents and Grandfather was a son of African parents.

Can you guess what I look like? You can never guess what Brazilians look like… :)

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that phrasing is an improvement, but why stop with 'natives'? How about 'American of Cherokee descent'?

Of course, as cultures blend further, the lines of descent can get very complicated in only a few generations.

8. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't bring up race without offending someone, lol. I'm a redskin injun. Oh noes!

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gracias!

VDARE.com: 08/08/10 - The Mexicans In The Living Room: Why Won't Greenies Admit Immigration's Global Warming Impact?

Since I'm a USA citizen, I wasn't sure what my nationality is but now I am.

It is not uncommon to find folks with an 'ax to grind' will put up a poll that has racial elements . . . so I held off voting. Perhaps it is time for those who haven't voted to choose how they would like to be counted. Four more 'hispanics' and we'll double the percentage. Better still, reset the poll numbers using a random number generator. <grins>

Personally, I think this thread needs to go to 'politics' since it seems to be a back end to a discussion of race vs. Prius ownership. Of course it is perfect nonsense, trying to find a racial profile of Prius ownership.

Bob Wilson