1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen III does not switch off when key is "removed"?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rizzoli, Mar 17, 2011.

1. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's impossible when the "operator" has already left the vicinity of the Prius which is exactly what happened in the OP.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Poorly thought out? You don't even own a Prius or other car w/SKS and yet you keep slamming and trolling w/your uninformed drivel. :rolleyes:

Those systems can fail, federally mandated or not.

Sure there are other "solutions", but you sure haven't come up with any that don't introduce other potential points of failures and even worse potential safety issues or additional problems (such as bad habits) as an unintended consequence.

This Prius SKS behavior has been this way since the 04 model shipped in late 03. Now, a non-Prius owner apparently unfamiliar w/SKS systems comes along w/the revelation that this is dangerous and the sky is falling?

I just tried it myself (because of this thread), the 3 beeps sound and the yellow key icon appears the moment I shut driver's door. I also heard the audible inverter whine. I confirmed the long beep and refusal to lock the door when I tried locking it via the black SKS lock button on the door handle (ridges on the 3rd gen).

To quote an earlier poster:
    Most of your Prius related posts seem to exemplify the definition of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29. This observation isn't limited to me. Many of us, wonder what's your motivation for this? You don't own a Prius, seem to have a lack of familiarity of the car and its behavior, and seem set on on posting misleading information. It's a waste of your time (or maybe it's not?) and that of others who respond to correct your incorrect and misleading posts.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

how about stop blaming the car for your own mistakes? ever since keys were invented, people kept leaving them in ignition... with smart keys (SKS), there are plenty of warnings if you exit the vehicle without turning it off... they are actually quite loud and annoying.

1 person likes this.
  4. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry this is OT but ....

quote:
    So far Im impressed, but my computer wont turn off..?
    When I go to start> shut down, windows 7 shuts down and my monitor loses input, but my computer (fans, lights, processor, hdds, ect.) stays on completely. I have to manually hold the power button to shut down. I have checked the power settings and googled this problem but havnt had any luck.

Anyone have any ideas? thanks for any help!
    So far Im impressed, but my computer wont turn off..? - Windows 7 Forums

5. 2011priusMIke

2011priusMIke Usually tinkering w/something.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a new Prius owner, with an attached garage, I find this an interesting thread.

I have never left a car running in the garage. I have also never owned a car the has an ICE that doesn't idle when pulling into the garage. My Prius seems to roll quietly in EV when I pull into the garage. Once stopped, it quietly just sits there, conserving gas as it should.

It also starts and stops the engine as the battery needs.

I know the car beeps and lights are on and the inverter makes noise if I leave the car on with the smart key in my pocket.

I also know that twice a year, on average, a child dies because a parent gets too busy with life and leaves a child in a car, windows up, to die in the summer heat. People make mistakes.

Shutting down the engine if there is no one in the drivers seat seems reasonable to me. No driver, no smart key in range clearly means the ICE should be off. Both conditions would need to be present. How about, if your battery in the key dies, replace it, if the seat sensor goes bad, fix it. Under this senerio, both would have to fail to strand you. Whats so wrong with this?

My household CO2 alarm now has a fresh battery...

Just my 2 cents.....

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What happens if the seat sensor is intermittent or goes bad while driving? As I've stated before, I seen recalls for other cars due to a fault relating to the occupant classification system (which doesn't control whether the car or ICE turns on/off).

How does the car know the difference between the smart key being in range or not vs. a dead battery or interference? Whenever I see something FCC class B certified, I see a clause "this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."

You should see the threads from people w/older Priuses where their key fob battery has died or is weak, yet they post here asking about it.

As for ICE should be off, well, does that mean the car should also got into OFF mode or does it mean it should stay in READY mode but the ICE just turns off and doesn't turn back on? If the latter, then it means the HV battery will get drained since the ICE doesn't get the opportunity to turn back on.

In the above scenarios I've outlined, you've introduced 2 more points of failure and opportunities for false ICE/power shutoff and an accident.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Simple human error/lack of knowledge. You can cry all you want but it always comes back to YOUR error/lack of knowledge. To blame the car for not shutting down when in fact you didn't shut it down is simply trying to shift the blame to someone else for your stupidity. If it happened only once, lesson learned and move on. If it happened more than once, obviously you're a forgetful person. You can whine about it to the world, or you can do something about it. A relay, a pressure switch, and some wires costs less than $15.
    The operation goes like this, when the power is ON (+12V) and driver door is open (-12V) the 2 events will energize the relay. The relay sends +12V to pressure switch mounted under the driver seat. When you get up from the driver seat, the switch fees that +12V to the warning device. It can be the factory horn, alarm siren, voice warning system or anything that you feel can attract your attention. The horn blaring at 100+db or a siren blaring at 120+db will surely get your attention. The warning device will only activate when the IGN is on, door's open, and no one's sitting on the driver seat. Take any one of those equation out and the warning device will not sound.

8. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rizzolli, I think that's a decent idea about the one hour then off situation, though I also feel cwerdna has given us good reasoning as to why that should be avoided for safety.

However, for anyone else complaining about this, you do realize you're complaining that the car doesn't shut off when you don't shut it off. There's a certain absurdity about the "conversation"...

9. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't it absurd that some on this site do not consider a car running itself for 2 (!!!) days after the driver has left and removed the keys as poor design ?

10. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    isn't absurd that some people on this site think that people who don't check a potentially lethal machine is no longer operating before leaving it unattended for TWO DAYS is to blame here? If a deaf person left a chainsaw running on the sidewalk and left it alone for two days would you be telling off the manufacturer of the chainsaw? no.

Tpfun is just trying to distract us all from the new details that have emrged about that little girl he killed. it now appears he raped her first. :(

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Quite a statement for someone who likely has never even used such a system, let alone seen or heard the behavior when shutting the car door w/the power still on.

Please find other cars w/smart key systems (might be known by other names by other automakers [e.g. Intelligent Key in Nissan parlance]) where the key doesn't need to be inserted anywhere which will not have this behavior and properly handle all the other cases I brought up w/o introducing extra points of failure and false shutdowns.

If you find one, please tell us how common this is in the auto industry.

12. my-prius

my-prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    According to what I am reading in this thread if I had a non sks vehicle that I was driving and apon parking the vehicle I did not turn the key off or remove it a few things could happen:

1 It would continue to run until it was out of gas and I should call the manufacture and let them know of THEIR error and to bring me some gas so I could get home.

2 It would continue to run until a thief stole it and I should call the manufacture and let them know of THEIR error and how they should replace the car.