1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius gen2 weird issue - enginer jerking while driving, ICE won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Snfvsd, May 23, 2017.

1. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the cables available online should be fine, sometimes they have defects and sometimes its a computer, OS or user issue.

The one you posted above should be fine, though the one below appears to be less expensive (and closer?)

Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable Scanner for Toyota Lexus TIS Techstream V10.30.29 | eBay

Besides cheap cables being hit or miss, the only thing I've read is some cables have a green PCB and others a white PCB. Some vehicle owners have issues with the white boards.

Does either color PCB effect the cable usage on a Prius, unknown as I've never read about it here before.

Pretty sure mine is green inside, but now I will have to check ;)

2. Snfvsd

Snfvsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: I had found a mechanic who was knowledgeable with electronic automotive systems in Revere and someone who had worked on this same car for the previous owner. He diagnosed the car, and he said I should find a regular mechanic who is good, because the CVT fluid was almost gone and no one flagged it, he was surprised that the engine was even working. He also found misfire on spark plug#1. He is still going to drive the car around today to look out for any weird symptoms and to ensure the problem does not come back at least for today. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will drive it for the next few days.

I am just wondering if this explains all the symptoms..
    May be the CVT acting weird and causing jerks could cause ABS/Brake. May be the combustion engine not being engaged properly could stress the hybrid battery more (P0A80 not sure). Or may be this is an unrelated issue and a sign that at some points the battery is going to go. I am thinking that if for the next couple of weeks the car drives ok, then I should invest in a battery prolong harness, The only is the $658 price tag. Not sure if there is a cheaper alternative? And I am wondering if this investment is worth it?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the end, if you need to dump thousands into it, you'll be better off easing the money for a downpayment.

4. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lack of tranny fluid could cause all sorts of issues (ie excessive heat, shorting, friction, etc) which the ECU could signal as possible problems. I would hold off on the prolong for now and drive it a bit, then check to see if the level is holding and then see what codes are still present and address them. The mini VCI is still well worth buying as it can save you heaps of money later when used well.

5. Snfvsd

Snfvsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: So I got the car 6 days ago and it had been driving smoother and quieter and now since yesterday the same problem has been coming bad, and the engine noise is back again. Its sort of a whirring noise. The mechanic had found almost no ATF and diagnosed that the axle shaft seal had been leaking and he replaced the seal and refilled the ATF. May be th e leak was somewhere else? I am not that familiar with the transaxle. Is there an easy way to check the ATF level? Otherwise I will drive or tow the car to the mechanic.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know what you consider easy, but there is a fill ply on the side. do not know if you need a lift, but you take the plug out, and if you can't feel the fluid with your finger, it's low.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Snfvsd

Snfvsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I found this video, so it's not complicated but not easy as it needs a lift. I don't have a tool to torque the plugs properly either

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Snfvsd

Snfvsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  9. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should not be losing tranny fluid if the seals are all in good shape.

There are basically 2 reasons seals fail like that:

1) Axle is grooved and seal doesn't have a smooth surface to seal against
    2) Transaxle bearing is worn causing the axle to wobble and seal to leak prematurely

10. Snfvsd

Snfvsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: So last weekend I had the car towed back to the same mechanic. He checked out and found that the CVT fluid was holding He took out the inverter and found that the engine mount was broken/loose. In the meanwhile he says that the hybrid battery has no charge now and might need replacement. He does not know how this could have happened. I think all of this towing/not driving may have pushed the battery over the edge.
    I am willing to spend some money and replacing the current battery with a rebuilt one, but what I am scared of is that even after replacing the HV battery there might be some other issues which has been making the engine stumble/get rough etc. I am not sure how a bad hybrid battery could result in all these symptoms.
    My heart says its battery and something minor but my brain says to junk the car and cut my loses.:(

11. Snfvsd

Snfvsd New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Also I am remembering that a couple of months ago the Sullivan Tire who do my service/mantainence had asked me as to where i park my car, they had said that there were a lot of debris in the air intake filter, which they had changed. I am wondering if its possible that some debris got inside the intake system and are still there, and cause intermittent problems with the engine?

12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer! As for the debris in the intake, I'd say that if the filter is in place and intact, your should not have ingested anything bigger than what usually gets through a filter.

On the battery, was it in neutral a lot? I'd try a grid charger before replacing the hybrid battery. Being an '04, if it's the original battery, it could be bad, but not necessarily.

It is starting to sound like a possible money pit, though. :(