1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Gen4 Crossbars The Same?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Captmiddy, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought a Prius Prime in Hypersonic Red and now I need to accessorize ;)

I am wondering if the crossbars for the Prime are the same as for the Gen4 Prius. The dealership didn't even know such things existed and didn't want to sell them to me with the vehicle as he didn't have them in stock and I really wanted the vehicle then rather than waiting 2 weeks for parts. I can't find part numbers listed for this accessory yet so I can't try to compare the two.

Originally I was thinking of putting a trailer hitch on the vehicle so I could mount a bike rack to the back but the warnings in the book are enough to turn that idea off. So roof mount bike and kayak racks it will be. I am also wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to remove the racks when you don't need them. I would like to have a clean roof in the winter when I won't be mounting anything so I can easily clear the snow off it. Previous racks have acted as ice holders only to try to throw them at cars behind me on the highway. Like to avoid that.

I can't say much about the car yet as it only has 52 miles on it so far (and we got it with 18 and it was 20 to get home from the dealership) We have a bunch of errands and cruising planned for the weekend so we shall see how we feel after that. That said it is a nice move from my Camry Hybrid, although the MPG so far this tank is actually lower than my Camry was, but I think a lot of that is the fact that the dealer had driven it 14 miles and gotten 13MPG, so I am still in recovery.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! which dealer did you purchase from? all the best!(y)

ps; you'd be better off to reset the trip meter. 13 mpg will never recover well, and is not reflective of any real world usage.

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So you bought it used.

4. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I purchased from Bernardi Toyota. I called them November 20th said I wanted one, they called me last week said they had one, I said GIVE ME :). Bought it on Saturday. Of course they tried to add all sorts of crazy add ons, glass coat, 7x100k extended warranty package....I told them keep them. $4100 on top of a $36k car wasn't going to fly with my wife or myself. I have bought an extended warranty for the last 3 cars, and have gotten exactly zero use out of it. So I decided it was time to take a chance and not do it.

Kycards1 and bisco like this.
  5. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup :D - They definitely test drove it a couple times before I got there. But given the least mileage I ever bought a car with was 8 and this was 8 before I took my test drive, I guess this is a match.

EDIT:
    Apparently I need to learn how to use this forum software. I clicked quote then typed my response, guess I missed the process somehow.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's where i got my pip!

7. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Below this message box there is a button "Insert Quotes" you use to insert 1 or more quotes you selected.

Saw a picture of crossbars on a titanium glow but can't seem to find the thread. This week I think.

8. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks. I will have to look around for those. I am going to call the dealership I typically use for service and see if they can get the accessory. Their sales people make me squirm but their service department is okay and they are much closer to home.