1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius GT

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by efusco, Jun 29, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems we had a similar news item posted, but I didn't see the details of the upgraded hybrid system for the race version of the Prius. Would be awefully sweet to have his available as an option at some point! The GT sport pack with 16 or 17" wheels, upgraded suspension, the more powerful ICE and motor, etc....

[font=Times New Roman:16ea8e6c7a] [/font:16ea8e6c7a]"The Hybrid Synergy Drive powertrain of the Toyota Prius GT has been specifically tuned to deliver sportscar performance. The standard Prius Atkinson-cycle petrol engine has been replaced by the 1.5-litre Yaris T Sport powerplant which provides better response and results in a power gain of 29%, from 77 DIN hp to 99 DIN hp.

The electrical part of the hybrid system has also been uprated. The High Voltage Power Circuit now develops 550 V, a gain of 50 V compared to the street version. This makes it possible to install a more powerful electric motor, which now develops 82 DIN hp on its own - a power output similar to that of a conventional 1.4-litre petrol engine.

To cope with the extra power, the battery has been upgraded to develop 34 kW or 46 DIN hp (a gain of 9 kW / 12 DIN hp) and the generator’s maximum speed has been boosted from 10,000 rpm to 12,000 rpm. Furthermore, the state-of-charge control has been tuned to provide more rapid race car response rather than to maximise outright range.

The 1.5-litre engine, in conjunction with the electric motor (which can be compared to an electric supercharger), now returns 145 DIN hp, a figure that beats every other 1.5-litre diesel or petrol unit currently on the market. In addition, specific power comes close to 100 DIN hp per litre. "

Full Article at Clean Auto .com

2. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :!: I'll bet that one has a TRAC/VSC disable switch! The acceleration figure sounds conservative considering the quantum leap in power-to-weight. Maybe the bigger wheels and ? final drive were more important to the builder.

I'll have a friends at Goodwood who are sponsoring the Toyota 2000GT that will be raced there. I'll ask them to grab some photos and ride impressions if possible.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt that'd be possible. Imagine having the wheels spinning and the ICE maxxed at 6000 RPM, generator close to 12,000. Wheels catch, which changes the picture. That ICE won't slow down immediately, and that extra inertia is going to be thrown straight to the generator, spinning it way beyond it's 12,000 RPM redline.

I'm thinking TRAC will still be left on :-/

-Rick

4. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gimme, gimme, gimme. I want, I want, I want!

This would be a very cool option. Throw in leather and bingo!

5. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick, I'm thinking they would have grippy racing slicks that should all but eliminate wheelspin with the modest output.

So now you have me wondering if there's some type of fail-safe to prevent generator over rev. At the autocross last weekend, each circuit ended with a low speed corner exit followed by five seconds of WOT and then maximum braking to a stop. The ICE would "hang" at high rpm's for a few seconds before returning to idle. The car didn't want to move during the "hang", nothing broke, no unusual symptoms otherwise, no CEL, and the car drove normally afterward. TRAC/VSC were both engaged and working. I wonder what was going on? The course workers were getting ready to run away!

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We get ICE hang on our normal Prius after a cold start if we floor it (or get on it close to that) during the first minute of "prewarm". Example - I just got gas, and have to pull out into a fast moving intersection. I get on it, then need to stop again at the left turn red, after crossing 3 lanes of traffic. Every time during the first min or so, if I lift off, the engine will "hang" or "race" with some torque output (not MG assisted) before letting down. Not a pretty feeling.

Is the Autocross you mention a stock Prius or the GT?

7. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was my bog stock (except for tires) U.S. spec Prius. It really needs a stiffer front anti-roll bar. I was told that the inside rear wheel would lift off the surface through a moderate speed chicane. That was likely the time when VSC kicked in, although I didn't sense any oversteer sensations. From my brief experience on track, I think it would take a lot of work to get into trouble with Prius during emergency maneuvers on dry asphalt. The VSC is very conservatively calibrated for a dry, high grip surface, but probably about right for low grip situations.

The real fun crusher is TRAC, though. It wouldn't allow much momentum to develop before announcing itself. My quickest time was during an attempt to have TRAC release on moderate speed corner exit sooner by simultaneous brake and throttle application, using left foot braking to control pace while maintaining WOT. It's an old trick I learned from a Saab rally driver and it was worth a few ticks, but not something I'd recommend without practice.

Overall balance wasn't bad for a F/F grocery getter. I think the main battery placement helps here. The weak link was brakes. They barely generated enough force to get a whiff of ABS when hauling down for the tightest, throttle off turns. Maybe they were too hot by then! Altogether, Prius behaved respectably compared to the ICE cars in class. But I don't think you'll see any at SCCA Nationals anytime soon until they start winning, and then watch how fast a Hybrid Class is authorized!