1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius handling, sway on braking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fogdrop, Jun 10, 2005.

1. fogdrop

fogdrop New Member

While I am very happy with our Prius, now six months old, my wife (an occasional driver) is less so. One thing she complains of is the amount of forward and back sway experienced when coming to a stop. We live in a densely populated city so we start and stop a lot. Our last car, a VW Jetta, seemed not to do this, or it was much less apparent. I have speculated that better shocks/struts would help this but I am not knowledgeable in this area. My experience with cars has always revolved around keeping them running, not modifying them to improve handling characteristics.

Has anyone done anything to their Prius to improve this rocking motion observed when stopping? Is this really a function of the suspension or just inherent in the design? Could it be improved by replacing the shocks/struts? If someone could post some informed commentary on Prius suspension and handling, I would find it very beneficial.

tia

2. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have noticed this too. I am used to driving a Tercel which has almost no sway. On the other hand, you feel every bump in the road. I also live in a big city and start and stop a lot. I just assume that Toyota feels most people are used to mid sized cars with soft suspension. I am getting used to it. I normally try to stop and start smoothly even in heavy traffic, so it is not a problem. The soft suspension encourages smoother driving. This is like the steering feel "problem". No car is perfect - the good things about the car greatly outweigh the bad.

3. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Further to what I posted earlier, I agree with the guys on Cartalk when they said
    "The Prius isn't the kind of car you buy for handling. The handling is adequate, and is comparable to other "soft-riders" in this price range. But it's not the kind of car with which you go zooming around corners. Besides, if you drive it like a sports car, you're going to defeat the purpose of buying it—to save fuel and reduce pollution."

4. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the sway you are refering to is the transisition between regen and brakes. You get used to it.

5. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know what you mean. The brakes feel different because of the regen. Still, the suspension is very soft compared to my Tercel. the Tercel is just incredibly nimble in NYC traffic. Truth is I am still adjusting to the Prius. It feels like a big car to me.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Once yo get used to the handling the Prius handles great. Especially for a car with such a high profile ratio.

there is a little sway, but no rocking like you might get with a cheap suspension. In fact I think the Prius suspension is pretty tight. As evidenced by the kidney I lost when I went over some rough road. Definitely not "Squishy".

The front end tends to push, understeer, just a bit but you can compensate with your lines on a corner. A good line will keep the car neutral or even coax a little oversteer.

You can't get to much because the VSC kicks in and things kinda go numb, like you can't feel the road, yet you are still in control, its really weird.

I've done many a high speed, quick lane change with excellent precision and once in the new lane the Prius rocks once to the left, when making the lane change, then once to the right when done and then she's goin straight.

Now a truly panicked high speed maneuver would probably flip the car because if it starts to slide and gets sideways and catches on anything I think it will flip, not sure not really wanting to test it with my Prius. Any volunteers? But also, if the VSC kicks in it may NOT slide and instead careen into a wall or of the road, unless the driver is astute enough and does not panic, since he is still in control.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jared\";p=\"97323)</div>
    I regularly drive my parents 2003 Buick LeSabre, so I can comment on the Prius "soft" suspension. Unless there is something different about your Prius, they have a rock-hard ride in comparison to a Buick.

On my very short list of complaints, the hard ride is near the top of the list. Most of the pavement here is full of potholes and is severely frost jacked. You tend to appreciate a car with soft riding qualities over these roads.

My hobby farm is a 1.5 hour drive away, and I have to finish the drive down a 4.5km gravel sideroad. That gravel road has severe washboard texture on most of it, and even at the posted 40 km/h speed limit my Prius shakes like an unbalanced washing machine.

It's not just the Prius, most cars now have a buckboard ride. About a month ago I had dropped my Prius off at the dealer for an oil change and to get some door dings fixed. They gave me a ride to work in a 2005 Avalon XLS demonstrator.

I really don't understand this new breed of car. For a pricey car like the Avalon, supposedly aimed at "traditional" buyers, it had the buckboard ride over bumps. I've gone for rides in previous Avalon cars and they had a nice soft ride, which is what most folks in that age group expect.

So far the vehicle with the absolute best ride quality, at least that I have rode in, is a 2004 Lincoln Navigator that a coworker owns. It has four wheel independent suspension and four wheel air ride.

We've gone out to my hobby farm a few times in the Navigator, and even over the worst gravel sections, that thing feels like it's hovering above the road. Your coffee won't even ripple in the cup. Very impressive. The fuel economy is horrific, and he is actually very jealous of my fuel economy. So everything is a compromise.

If you have absolutely smooth roads where you live, that's great. In the Real World some of us have to put up with potholes, frost jacked pavement, and gravel roads with washboard texture. Then the rock hard ride sucks.

8. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife also hates the braking part of the car - yet she still begs to drive it! Go figure.

I pride myself on coming to a smooth stop in all cars I drive - like you would in a limo. This car is a little harder to do, but not impossible.

It's the first new car that I've called my own - she always gets the new ones while I get the old one. She's got it today :|

9. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "she always gets the new ones while I get the old one."
    I know the feeling. I get the /95 Tercel with no A/C!
    I guess everything really is relative. The Prius ride is soft compared to a Tercel. The Tercel, being lighter, is more responsive (and has terrific power steering). Still, the more I drive the Prius, the more confident I become about throwing it into curves. The handling is adequate. The fuel economy and quietness are outstanding.