1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius has more pull in gear, lurch when putting into park.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kevelev, May 5, 2018.

1. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I bought my 2011 Prius (60k), it would barely start to roll when I put it in drive and then let off the brake, now it's got 100k miles on it and it starts to pull away as soon as I let off the brake, its not too much, but I'm just wondering why its increased. This may be related, also when I put it into park, and let off the brake there seems to be more sway/rock after I let off the brake, this has increased as well since I bought it, and its much more noticeable on hills. So what's going on?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting, and idk if they are related. we had another member say his prius stopped creeping when he let off the brake, iirc, but i don't think it was solved. i assume that is controlled by software, because toyota wanted it to feel like an old fashioned car.
    the rolling after pressing park and letting off the brake is controlled by a physical parking pawl, which may be worn, but a lot of roll is not uncommon, it depends on where the stop is when you press the button.

3. kevelev

kevelev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds about right.

4. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what I've been able to discern from my ScanGauge and general observation, the Prius software commands a fixed amount of creep torque when you take your foot off the brake. If you're seeing more creep in drive and more rocking when you put the car into park, I'd suggest that the car has less "friction" than it used to have, which is generally a good thing. Maybe you had a brake that used to be dragging slightly, but isn't anymore?

My F150 has the opposite problem, it doesn't creep as much as it used to, and shortly after that started I noticed the dirtier front wheel and the brake pads that are wearing faster than the others. Gonna have to get to that now that there isn't a blizzard every week :)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might be there's no changes, you've just started noticing it more?