1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius hatchback tent?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by seakykr, Oct 4, 2006.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, perhaps I was being too generous with the monker of 'fridge'. It's really just a little 12V cooler that cost less than $100. It keeps stuff about 20 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature, so I still need to add ice on occasion. By leaving the Prius 'on', the ICE (not ice) kicks in every few hours, charges up the batteries for a few minutes, and shuts off again. I don't leave it 'running'...

Oops. I would edit the previous post, but I'd better not, due to the current problems. I meant 'moniker', of course, not 'monker'. No relation to Ms Lewinski...

So, it shows up in the same post anyway! I didn't 'edit', guys, really. It wasn't me!

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Sportz dome to go has arrived and I'm stowing it in the garage with the camping stuff. I'm still looking in to a teardrop trailer. If the weight can be kept under 1000 lbs and the balance is good. I thought I'd play around a little with Photoshop to show what a teardrop would look like behind a Prius.

Attached Files:

3. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at your picture remided me of a Thunderbird that was chopped up to make a matching trailer called "mini-me":
    http://www.cobrasc.com/pics_trailer.htm
    I think it would be ideal to match the aerodynamics of the Prius with a trailer that can draft behind the car. If someone wanted to go through the trouble to figure out how AC Propulsion made the hybrid trailer for the TZero so it could turn with the car in reverse you could really get a trailer close up behind the car for maximum drafting without jack-knifing:
    T-Zero trailer
    You could even put a camera on the back of the trailer and wire it to a switch with the existing camera feed and be able to switch between watching the trailer and seeing where you are going. Ah, the possibilities are endless...

4. Rmutzabaugh

Rmutzabaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I don't know about you guys but when we go "camping" we use the camp site as the motel room. We like to travel around the area to look see and go do things. I think unsnaping a tent off to use your vehicle would be a pain. I found a site "Time-out trailers" that sell tent camper per say, low weight at 295 lbs to be pull by motorcycle. Any body out there ever use one of those?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 16 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]333748[/snapback]</div>
    If you fold / pack it up, how big is it? Will it fit in the secret compartment (above spare tire) in the trunk?

Dennis

6. GoodferYuuu&#33;

GoodferYuuu&#33; New Member

I have to agree with Subsailor. All I could think was "why do you want your vehicle attached to your tent?". Why not just carry a tent? I really like the ide of a tiny lightweight trailer though. Is Toyota changing its tune about towing with the Prius?

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subsailor @ Oct 20 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]335698[/snapback]</div>
    Is that anything like the teardrop trailers we've been talking about and the picture I photoshopped?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Oct 20 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]335755[/snapback]</div>
    The box the tent came in is about the same size as the box the complete set of heatshield sunshades comes in but it's a lot heavier. I think it might be too thick for the secret compartment to close flush.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgety Bourgeois Type @ Oct 20 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]335841[/snapback]</div>
    No, you're still not supposed to tow. But a teardrop can average about 800 lbs empty. You could probably keep it under 1000lbs packed for camping. SigmaAutomotive has a hitch that attaches to the Prius using existing holes; no drilling. It's just me and my dog who only weighs 55 lbs. If the Prius can hold in the neighborhood of 900lbs of passengers and cargo, I think it can tow a teardrop. They're usually really, REALLY conservative about what the car can handle to be really, REALLY safe. So I think a teardrop is possible. If a little 4 cylinder european car can tow one, I'm confident a Prius can tow one. Little guy has a 4' x 8' fiberglass model that is probably quite light and easy to tow. I'm leaning toward that one as I think a build your own with wood on a steel trailer just screams weight. Plus I think the Little Guy is insulated. And there is an outdoor tent room that is designed to be attached to the Little Guy. I'd get that too if I went this route.

[​IMG]
    little guy
    [​IMG]
    Screen room for Little Guy

To me the Little Guy with the screen room is my idea of camping. Add a portable toilet and Coleman stove/grill combo and I'm set.

8. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Take a look at the Lil Demon teardrop. The sleeping area pops open.

Honestly, when I look at the features available with a $7-15,000 teardrop vs. $159 tent and Prius, for me the tent and Prius win for the ocassional camper. The sleeping area of the teardrop isn't much bigger than the back of the Prius and the kitchen area of the teardrop is basically just a camp stove. You could pack that in the car, as well.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here are the specs on the 4x8 little guy with platform. I've bolded the items I find enticing.

Standard Features
    • Locking left & right entry doors with slider window and screen.
    • Rear locking hatch.
    • DOT approved marker lights, turn signals, brake lights, and safety chains.
    • Front jack with swivel wheel.
    • Aluminum Fenders.
    • Aluminum Alloy Wheels.
    • Roof vent.
    • Carpeted floor and interior sides.
    • Vinyl clad interior headliner.
    • Solid wood cabinets, painted white.
    • Lift up rear galley.
    • 3 interior battery-operated lights.
    • Fiberglass exterior shell.
    • Customer selected basic exterior graphics.
    • Aluminum diamond-plate stone guards, front and rear.
    • Fully insulated to a R7 rating.

Unique Features
    • 2in x 3in welded tubular steel frame, painted black.
    • Front exterior 16 in. x 48 in. payload platform.
    • Weight-(lbs.) 660
    • Tongue-Weight-(lbs.) 60

• Fender to Fender (in.) 66
    • Exterior-Height (in.) 67
    • Overall-Length (in.) 135
    • Inside-Width-(in.) 46.25
    • Inside-Height-(in.) 42.25
    • Floor-Length (in.) 69.5
    • Inside-Length-(in.) 89.5
    • Hatch Opening-(in.) 43¼ x 35
    • Mattress Size 72 x 45 x 4
    • Roof-Vent (in.) 14 x 14
    • Payload-Platform-(in.) 16 x 48
    • 2 x 3(in.) Steel Frame Tubular
    • 2 x 2(in.) Alum. Frame n/a
    • Jack Type A-frame
    • Receiver Size (in.) 2.0
    • Rubber Torsion Axle 1500 lb
    • Tire Size 175/80/R13
    • Rim Type Alloy
    • Stone Guard Yes
    *All specifiations are approximate and subject to verification.*

I really think a 660 lb trailer with only a 60 lb tongue weight is perfectly safe being towed by a Prius.

Now the galley is pretty much non-existent, but that allows for customization. I like the add on tables I've seen on other teardrops. They don't look too hard to make so I'd make some and attach the hardware to hold them. They do offer a Tri-fold mattress. that no one else does. I'm not saying they can't be had. But I'd rather sleep on this than a 4" piece of foam or an inflatable mattress.

[​IMG]

I like the table in this image. I also like the galley on this teardrop but it's weighs over 1000 lbs being made of aluminum clad wood with a wood interior. Just too heavy. And it's also pretty expensive.
    [​IMG]

I think it would be possible to build something like this.
    [​IMG]

There is also a smaller table. Here are the two together.
    [​IMG]
    I actually like the above two table set up the best for cooking in the galley.

I like this galley best. The sink is on the left in front of the cabinets. The stove slides into the cabinet in that hold right behind the sink. It slides out to the center that is completely clad in aluminum. I really like that. I'm sure a Coleman would work beautifully.
    [​IMG]
    There are utensil drawers above. On the left is an "icebox". I have a small refrigerator the size of a small microwave and a small microwave. I'd sure like to incorporate both of those into my design.
    [​IMG]

I might have to go for a 5 foot wide Little Guy to fit everything into the galley. I don't really care how wide the teardrop is as long as it's not wider than the Prius. So I think a 6 foot model is too wide, although I haven't measured the Prius.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 20 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]335948[/snapback]</div>
    Very true. The reason I like the teardrop is that the doors lock for privacy and security. I don't have to worry about animals either. And it's insulated much better than a tent. The interior is a bit bigger than the Prius. I don't think the Prius is even a full size but most of the teardrops are queen size. Probably a little more headroom too.

Now the Lil Demon teardrop has a really big hatch with netting that makes for better ventilation and headroom.
    [​IMG]
    I can't seem to find any more information on it as to size or weight. Or a picture of the galley. The aliner page doesn't list it as a model anymore.

I'm not sure what the Little Guy sells for. The Lil Demon appears to be about $7,000.

Hm. Found a SmartCar forum where they're looking for a trailer that a SmartCar can tow. There's a little pop-up that's less than 300 lbs and 40 pounds tongue weight. But a little too small to suit me plus that kitchen (what there is of it) is entirely outside. LOL. The SmartCar people make fun of Hummers too.

11. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 20 2006, 10:19 PM) [snapback]335984[/snapback]</div>
    Ah. The second one has a good pic of the rear galley area. Not bad. There is more under counter area which the Little guy does not have. I really don't need the seating area inside. For me the inside is only for sleeping. Otherwise I'd rather be in the screen room/cabana that attaches to the outside.

Another problem I have is that if it's really cold you'd have to close the hatch as you wouldn't want all of that netting letting in the cold night air. Then you have no ventilation at all. I don't see the windows being able to open at all. That means the only ventilation is the pop top. The Little Guy has a roof vent that can be opened or not. I think the windows on both side doors also have screens and open.

13. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First link indicates Opening Windows.

Can't find much other info, though. Not sure why it seems to be so rare.

Just gotta add that I finally hit my first over 50 mpg tank (51.4) today!

14. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Outside of the case, it fits snugly with about 6 inches open on the side.

15. anthony.pray

anthony.pray New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Oct 4 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]327883[/snapback]</div>
    Im 6"4 and I have sleep in my 06 prius 2 times now I love it. It took some work to find the "Right" spot. I can't believe just how much space you can get withe proper placement/tilt of the seats. B)

16. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FatTony @ Nov 9 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]346689[/snapback]</div>
    Don't hold out on us... what's the secret? I personally have never slept in the Prius before but I'm looking forward to it, maybe I'll try it one night in the garage just for fun, LOL. Anyway, It does look comfy, and I did notice in the owners manual where it said to take off the front seat headrests then they fold flat with the back seats but not sure exactly where you're supposed to lay?

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I'm only 5'2". I figure I can fold the back seats down and sleep in the hatch area. No need to fold down the front seats. But....I also got the hatch-tent in case I want a little more space.

18. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Nov 9 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]346730[/snapback]</div>
    Front seat all the way forward. Head rests off and in the back seat foot well. Recline front seats flat with back seats. Lay on top. For me there is a few more inches on the passenger side because there is no steering wheel. Also, I thought about taking off the bottom glove box for the night so my feet could slide under the dash a few more inches, but I have not tried that yet.

19. anthony.pray

anthony.pray New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Nov 9 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]346730[/snapback]</div>
    For me i found that if you push the two front seats forward then lay the to back seats down.
    I put some "padding" down (one of throws foam pads for camping, my one is green :) ), i put my feet in the back driver side and my head my the fount passenger door.

It was nice problem only fit one person, may be two if you are lucky or like to sleep really close together.

I did not have a sleeping bag but it stayed quit warm. The first time was at the Oregon coast. a word of advice don't sleep near/on the beach...
    I had to move my car at about 4 am to get out of the rain/wend.
    If you are going to sleep in you car. bring a pellow it makes a world of differences.

20. billsinclair

billsinclair New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 10 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]346779[/snapback]</div>