1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Hate Discussion

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by M67v, Dec 19, 2015.

?
  1. Too soon.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Too late.

42.9%
  3. Just the right time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Why bother

57.1%
  5. Just what I needed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. M67v

M67v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it too soon or late to start a page regarding hate on Prii?
    This page is purely for letting out frustration that we have concerning Prius haters.

My first post is this. There is this video that shows false stereotypes on Prius drivers

#1 M67v, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    minnyprius likes this.
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …I really don't care, whenever I see the name Jeremy Clarkson, I just wipe, wipe once again just to make sure, flush, and remember to wash my hands! (…c'mon, you know it makes perfect sense!!!) :whistle:

bisco and arescec like this.
  3. M67v

M67v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some cases I find amusing, others I think is annoying.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Newb.:barefoot:

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If there is Prius hate where you live, it might be about you (are Prius drivers impeding their life?) but it is probably about them. It certainly has nothing to do with me, Mississippians see a Prius so rarely I doubt most of the drivers here could identify one.

Last I knew MS was 50th in ownership per capita, 1 Prius for every 1412 people. (One hopes this is higher today, but it would not surprise me if we were still 50th)

Prii per Capita by State | PriusChat

(Prius are not favored in the HOV lanes, in part because MS has 0 miles of HOV lanes, Prius get no state incentives, no parking perks, nothing to be jealous of)

#5 JimboPalmer, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it to be an invalid question.
    Prius "hate" appeared I think nearly instantaneously with the introduction of The Prius itself.
    The topic arises and has been brought up, incident after incident for for as long as I've participated in Prius Chat.

And speaking only for myself, I think the topic over blown. While a degree of "Prius Hate" does exist, it's probably nearly equal to the "Prius Persecution" some people seem to like to embrace.

Yeah, some people don't like Prius, Some people attach unfair stereotypes to ownership,-Their problem, not mine.

GrGramps and Zythryn like this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius hate thread #132. :D

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you some searching here, you'll find plenty of hateful threads to calm your nerves.:cool:

cwerdna likes this.
  9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hate Prius, hate VW, hate 4x4's...it's all the same. People in general hate whatever they aren't or won't. Get over it.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty cool data (but old) I don't remember that post. There was a later post around 2012. I wonder if the data can be updated.

The only state that gives $money for Prius I think is Wash DC has sales tax (6%) exclusion for all cars over 40 MPG city EPA. So that explains DC being high on the list.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In October 2005, we bought our first, 2003 Prius. The first stupid comment I heard was from a 'mother earth' gal who said 'I heard Prius are running over blind people.' Today, she is the only other person driving a Prius, a Gen 2.

False claims are common enough so all I try to address are those 'in print.' You know, like the 'runaway accelerations' like the ones that keep crashing into buildings:

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is the relative order of deaths now in the US...drug over doses, car related then guns?

#12 frodoz737, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  13. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I experienced Prius hate once when I got my 2005. Came out from a store and someone hate put a xeroxed note under my wiper explaining how stupid the Prius was, how it could never payback the cost difference, and so on. Gen 1 flew under the radar with normal car looks, but people noticed the Gen 2 and it was polarizing. The Gen 4 might polarize as well. Bring it on.

14. Devilsbard

Devilsbard New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone noticed that other drivers treat you differently when you first got your Prius?

I typically drive at 70 in the number 2 or 3 lane. I've driven the same route every work day for 2.5 years and the moment I bought my Prius the number of drivers tailgating me seems to have doubled. People say that Prius drivers obstruct traffic but I'm starting to wonder if it's that people perceive the car differently and they become more aggressive around them.

In my previous car, a Ford Fusion, I was rarely tailgated, but now it's a daily occurrence and I seem to be getting cut off more. Not that I'm complaining, it's just an observation that seems to explain people's feelings towards the car. Wondering if other people have noticed a similar shift when they first switched to the Prius.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've noticed tailgating is not Prius specific in Huntsville, AL:
    • Right-lane speeders - often I'll change lanes and the tailgater will accelerate to pass on the wrong side. Only they soon overtake traffic further on and tailgate them. Neither my speed nor the Prius has anything to do with their behavior.
    • The only exception is if the traffic is a semi-trailer or delivery truck. Then they will actually change lanes to pass properly.
    As an experiment, I've shifted into "N" or reduced my cruise control speed to 10 and 15 mph slower and like a tick, they will still hang on. Setting my emergency flashers will sometimes chase them off.

For fun, try using your emergency flashers on a tailgater and see what happens.

Bob Wilson

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i accelerate and drive slowly. i have no where to go, and don't need to be there anytime soon. sorry if i'm causing problems, but what's the point of driving a prius?:oops:

17. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is there a thread that hates threads about Prius haters?

cwerdna and frodoz737 like this.
  18. M67v

M67v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this thread can be used for that I guess.

19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How can you hate a thing? If it's the Prius driver that is hated, isn't that pre-judging?. Like in prejudice .