1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Haters.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ziggy23, Sep 17, 2004.

1. ziggy23

ziggy23 New Member

Why do so many people hate the Prius? I've told about 5 of my friends that I'm getting a Prius and they all pretty much had the same opinion. WHY? I tried to explain the gas mileage and the fact that soon we can drive them in the carpool lane by ourselves.

Their replies are "It's ugly," "It's slow," "Are you an environmentalist now?" and "I hope it's for your girlfriend."

It's a little annoying. We're in our mid 30s now and there's no need to be driving a sports car or large SUV unless you have a need. The Prius is a perfectly good commuter car with a lot of high tech and luxury features. I wish they wouldn't bash it as much as they do. :cry:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah my son...you have a mission now. Let me tell you, you'll find it a lot easier to face these folks once you have the car yourself. Your personal experience will provide you with all the ammo you need to face down the nay sayers.

The speed/power issue is essentially a non-issue. The Prius has more than enough 'get-up-and-go" for any practical driving and the low end torque is quite nice. Ugly? It's in one's eye I guess, but I find the new generation sleek a cool...I suspect you (and they) will too once they've really had a chance to see it.

Are you an environmentalist...sure, why not say "yea"...I'm not an over-the-top 'tree-hugger', but shouldn't we all do what little things we can and not be so wasteful and polluting...I want to set an example for my kids.

Again, you'll find these answers come much more easily once you become a true believer and owner. I do.

I feel like the "Unofficial" Wendy's guy in the commercials with my Prius...and that was NEVER my intention.

1 person likes this.
  3. mark_hamrick

mark_hamrick New Member

ziggy, wait till you take them for a ride in it and they see what a technologically advanced car it is...and you just may make some new friends that understand your choice! Do you feel being an environmentalist has a negative connotation? That is one reason quite a few people have purchased the car. I applaud your choice for what it is worth! Don't listen to the haters!

4. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ziggy... you WILL have the last laff.. :guns:

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Zig, don't take this the wrong way, but... your friends are idiots.

1 person likes this.
  6. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"40166)</div>
    LOL

7. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is a matter of perspective. The "worst" comment I got was being asked if I was a Democrat, and I am to the right of the elephant! :mrgreen:

8. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Wow, it's hard to believe we live in the same city (well, ok, it is the second largest city in the country!). The response to my car has been tremendous, very very positive. Everyone loves it - including the teenagers I work with!

You need to find a new crowd to hang with mister!

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Over the past 4 years, not a single anti-hybrid person (trust me, I've encountered a lot) has ever had the impudence to confront me in person. Every single attack (way too many to count) has been online. They know quite well that with the Prius right there in front of them, every argument point they've ever attempted push becomes trivial.

Fortunately, those negative comments you get from acquaintances are a bit easier to deal with. They come from two different sources. One is the overwhelming number of misconceptions (contributing to the fear of change) about hybrids. Fortunately, that is easy to overcome once actually get your Prius. The other isn't quite so simple. It is jealousy from being loyal to another brand or technology. That will typically prevent the person from ever wanting to talk about hybrids with you again.

The resistance is simply a fact of life. Look at it this way, it parallels politics remarkably close. Take what you've learned from those experiences and apply that to hybrids.

1 person likes this.
  10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya know, i've met with a lot of people who werent impressed with my Prius AT FIRST.

most were totally unimpressed with its exterior looks. in fact, one lady from work thought it was one of the new corollas!! (she has a 2003)

but i have yet to meet someone whose attitude wasnt completely transformed once they took a ride in the car.

11. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just laugh at all the prius haters when i see them gulping at the gas station at $2/usgal. and i just tool on by...they are so clueless that they dont even know they are clueless...the masses are being led to slaughter like sheep by big oil...... :violin:

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you tell them that my gas bill for 1 month for 2 Prius was$62.18 Canadian so what's that $45US and that was for Both of them. I work with a kid who when I told him that said he burnt more than that on Friday night after work. He stares at it every time he walks by it. You can almost hear his foot hit his butt as he's going by.

13. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    I tend to mention the fuel consumption first, then the geeky bits, then the environmental bit.

So far no one has said its ugly (which its not), but that could also be due to the fact the car is a fairly normal shape in Europe. Also must people say the size is correct, even big, again smaller cars are normal here.

Only 1 person has said the top speed is too slow. He was a merc or bmw driver (and a bit dumm imho) who stated he wouldnt buy a car that that couldnt reach at least 250Kmh (the Prius is 170Kmh).

I have had the "do you plug it in" question a few times, and "do you have to turn the car over to change the batteries :lol: " but thats about all.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have never had the do you plug it in question :( I think that if you are steadfast and let them know that it is reduced emissions, recyclable and has reduced M.P.G you will win folks over. I have any number of people comment on the weather this year your decision. It will seem more right to them.

15. slumbum

slumbum New Member

My sister's reaction: "A black car...oh, you will regret getting a black car!" My sister without seeing my Prius: "Oh, that little thing! My Camry is bigger than yours." (Well we added up the square footage and she is right 6.1 inches more space than mine, she'll need it to carry the extra money she'll spend on gas.) My Brother-in-law: "It's ugly." Well, you know what brother-in-law. "Yo' Mama's ugly too, beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Other Pros.
    Gas: I was going to get the Freelander which gets a whole 20mpg. But you know what...I wanted to support Opec, the Saudis, the Bushes, The Cheney's and their stockholders as LITTLE as possible...sorry, and who wants to spend at least $2k a year on gas anyways???? I figured if everyone who could afford to get a Prius did, the air would be better for us all. Polically: My purchase of the Prius sends the message that I CARE about the AIR we breathe and I am not ashamed to say it. Trendy: OK, I am a little shallow, but I want to floss with the Hollywood types. Let's say you are in LA and a celebrity pulls up next to your car. They are driving a Prius too! Which will start a conversation faster, a top-of-the-line SUV or a Prius? How cool is that? Fashionable: Sleek and Black and catlike, just like me! Taxes: A $1,500 Federal tax break is nothing to sneeze at, I don't know what breaks my State (MA) will give me, but I hear driving in the commuter lane alone is one for many people.

Price: This car is inexpensive for what you get. That's my subjective opinion. I expected it to be way more expensive than the Rav I bought in 98...well, it's about the same.

Technology: Bluetooth: Man I hope to get a iPod transponder. I might actually break down and get an iPod. But I think I can pump my music library through my ibook laptop. The Nav system (package): It looks like the Night Rider! I can't wait to pimp it out with a DVD, and to know where the shortest and alternative routes are. I also want to play my favorite music videos while leaning back, so I hope there is an aftermarket solution out there. Mating: Whatever you like, this car will be a major conversation starter and digit getter for the guys and girls. High class boys and girls love a hottie with a conscience. Does your car do that?

I would love to sell these cars, because I would make a fortune, but you know what...it's so good it doesn't need salesmen.

Cons
    It doesn't have hundreds of useless horses enslaved for our whims. Sigh. What will we do. Style:It needs a little pimping, but if you do it right, this car can be customized to your own look and feel.

I could write a treatise on this, but I will spare you.

Peace,
    J, :mrgreen:

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

your going to have to pay Danny extra for the bandwidth your using;)

17. eastercat

eastercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz\";p=\"40177)</div>
    Republicans (not those idiotic Gingrich
    Repubs) have traditionally been environmentalists.
    Teddy Roosevelt is a good example. Yet
    today, you get Repubs who cave to the
    interests of the corporations (fyi: Dems too).
    So take it as a compliment.

Esther

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello Eastercat. Another kitty! I think I really started a trend. But, on to the subject...

Ziggy, I think maybe you need new friends. Anybody who would criticise someone over the car they drove... errrm... well... forget I said that.

The Prius is not a muscle car, but it's got breathtaking torque, and who in their right mind wants to drive faster than 100 mph off of a race track?

When I got mine in January (30 degrees below zero) and told people I was disappointed to be only getting 30 mpg (4-mile commute after 5-minute warm-up to warm the cabin) their jaws dropped. They were probably getting 10 mpg under similar conditions. Now that I'm at 50 mpg (same commute) their eyes glaze over. When I tell them there's no clutch and no shifting of gears but the engine can run at its design rpm whether the car is crawling or racing, they are amazed by the technology.

I've had exactly two negative comments: One person thinks it's funny looking. Actually I kind of agree. And one young-Earth creationist fundamentalist Christian complained the back seat might be too small to have sex in.

Oh, yes, there is another negative comment, and it's true: You have to wait too long to get one.

19. slumbum

slumbum New Member

Hmm. I thought the back seats fold down? That would be ample room, with the hatchback and all. If she needs more room than that, she's a champion.

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mark_hamrick\";p=\"40147)</div>
    Ziggy, you might have difficulty with this suggestion, but perhaps you can give it a try. There were a few (very few) people who directly questioned my Prius purchase. Here's what I did.

A group of us went out to lunch. I "steered" the concensus towards a place a few miles away and said that I'd drive. However, since there were more than five of us, some had to take another car.

That's right! The nay-sayers were not allowed to ride in my Prius. Can you guess what my three friends talked about all during lunch? The NAV, the CD changer, the energy display, the very roomy interior, the off-the-line performance, the list goes on. Every one of my passengers gushed about how they would buy one as their next car. And when we got back to the office, they kept talking.

Now the nay-sayers are asking to ride in the car. We'll see...