1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Haters.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ziggy23, Sep 17, 2004.

1. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bikes- wife says she'll start smoking (I dispise smoking- sorry to all smokers on the board) the day I get a motorcycle...

I wish there were ANY Prius to rent around here!!!

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny story :p My wife was a Prius hater as well until I rented one which turned out to be a Blue Gen III. You should have seen the look on her face after she realized how comfy the seats were and then after the day she had to drive it to her meetings.
    OMG, she was in stupid love with the car ever since :hug:

Today, I let her drive our rental Prii to the airport and of course she had that cutsie smile on her face the whole way :love:

Mike

3. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So Mike, y'all getting the PHV?

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    She thinks the PHV is a good idea after hearing mpg figures. It all depends if we can find one next June when we are ready to make a purchase. I still want to hear the real mpg numbers rather than the guestimate.

Mike

5. Snake

Snake New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's so funny, seeing stuff like this, because I have had at least a half dozen people hate my car until they get inside it.

Prius FTW.

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1 person likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother can't stand Prii and he doesn't know I have one, so when I drive down to his place for the Thanksgiving week, I'm going to show up at night, so he doesn't see the car until the next day. That'll give him a chance to be preoccupied about other things. :D

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take him for a ride and he will start changing his opinion about the car.

9. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I get a person that likes to put the Prius down every now and again. Usually that is sorted with a quick walk around the car, and telling them about its many benefits.. Some people cannot be convinced though, and you just have to realize they will never be convinced. There is 2 or 3 people at my work who continue to say stuff about the Prius/Volt, but they are the same ones who complain about spending $100 in gas per week in their full size lifted pick ups.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do non Prii people think a Prii has to have it's batteries changed every 5 years? Where did they get that lie from?

Mike :)

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably from the 12V battery in their car.

12. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^because rumors have a very power impact on the misinformed.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last person who told me about the 5 year battery replacement is one who said they are happy with their 19 mpg Ford Escape mileage. I about fell on the floor snickering.

Mike

14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, 19 mpg! I have an '07 Camry lease with 25 combined mpg and I am now planning a Plug-in Prius or a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. If I buy the Camry, my goal is to be able to get 45mpg.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly :) I have a Saturn Vue AWD right now as a daily driver which gets 22 mpg at best & I can't wait to get a Prius. I rent a Prius or Camry Hybrid every chance I can get in my travels. My daily drive only gets ~6000 miles driven per year but still it is a pig on gas. This trip to Sacramento, I didn't get to experience any Prius hater drivers as Hertz would only give me a Camry Hybrid :( Oh well...

Mike :)

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because they think the hybrid battery is like 12V battery in conventional cars?

Those last for about 5 years or so.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2011 Accord 4 cyl usually clocks in about 28 MPG at the pump. It can do almost 35 MPG on 75 mile freeway trips, but..

If I go about 15 freeway miles, stop, then 15 back, I think it gets under 29.

I don't have a scanguage, but I have reason to believe these '40 MPG' small sedans like Elantra, Focus don't get near 40 unless your highway trip is well over 20 miles.

I think the first 10 miles the engine is coming up to temp resulting in lower FE. Not sure, would need digital FE indicator to verify.

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove a 2011 Elantra GLS for ~2400 miles and got 33 city & 48 highway mpg. I drove it normal and at or above posted speeds when on the interstates. Most people buy those "up to 40 mpg" cars and drive them like a bat out of hell and bitch about poor mpg that doesn't even meet the MFG's published spec's. They are the idiot's that give a new car a bad online reputation. The new Elantra gets basically 10 mpg less than the Prius combined city/highway driving. Not bad for a non-hybrid :) I'd like to see what a new Focus would do with me driving it.

Mike

19. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a 2011 Elantra for a week and never even came close to that mileage. On the highway averaging 65-70 I would be lucky to average a little over 30MPG. In the Prius I can easily get mid 40's travelling 75MPH. These 40MPG cars are a step forward but don't expect to get 40MPG while travelling at the normal interstate speeds (75-80). The city mileage was even worse and I rarely averaged over 24 MPG city. I estimate that the Elantra on average will use 40% more fuel than a Prius.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bummer :) I was running 70+ on the interstates and got 48 mpg easily in the Elantra. There is a thread somewhere where I did a comparison between the Prius and a Elantra GLS showing the cluster with gas level, mpg #'s and mileage showing what I got. I just drove it like I drive a Prius which I get awesome mpg in a Prii too ;)

Oh well, dinner time here :)

Mike