1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Haters?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Oct 18, 2009.

1. rfelley

rfelley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I posted an ad on Cragslist for my wrecked 2005 for sale for parts and actually had some guy take the time and go out of his way to respond by saying he'd never seen a wrecked one but was happy to see it and ended with ,"god I hate those cars!" I considered responding but just decided to stay in my lane at my own speed (so to speak). But it did leave me wondering a few things. 1) Why doesn't this guy have something better to do?, 2) Should I recommend that he seek professional help?, and 3) I bet he doesn't have the same feelings about models like the Echo, the Geo Metro, the Golf or other equally economical units, so what's up with that?:crazy:

2. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

i've never been outright called a treehugger, lefty or sissy, but i've been tailgated and even hit once

i've gotten out of the car a few times, including today

people get awfully shocked in these parts when some son of a bitch steps out of a Prius and wants to know "Wth?!"

i guess folks are just now becoming aware that crazy sonsabitches buy economical cars too

+1

it is illegal to brandish a gun here in California, and it's irresponsible to advise brandishing it here on priuschat

newsflash, if you've seen my gun, it's the last thing you've seen

save it already

you lefties don't own the market in economical cars

further, some people own trucks because they need 'em for work
    and some people own guns to shoot a$$holes ... both groups include plenty of our friends on the left, the working man, you know the ones, they cling to their guns and their religion, and they're probably teamsters too :thumb:

lefties and democrats shop at walmart too, and all corners of the usa are infested with you lot as well

give it a rest already ... the threads is about haters ... don't be one

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do this in my Prius all the time.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Save what?? I just see the highest irony in these beer-drinkin',
    gun-totin', god-fearin', and yet high-volume cheap-chinese-crap-buyin',
    *travesties* of what we used to think of as proud american citizens
    whose massive tailgatin' pickups are always putting their own fellow
    american citizens in harms way ON OUR OWN SOIL on a daily basis.
    Save *that* as the stories you tell your grandchildren, and be ready
    with a good explanation. Well, if they survive that long.
    _H*

5. biscuit

biscuit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I notice a big difference since I got my Prius. It seems that other drivers think it's their duty to police me and be certain that I don't drive slowly (which I never do anyway, I choose my times for coasting/slow driving.. and that's on back roads and/or when no one is around). When they catch up to me at a light or stop sign, from that point on, they ride as close as possible, even when I am over the speed limit in the slow lane. They also make a sport of getting as close as humanly possible behind me at red lights, and if I inch up a bit as a test, they will move up. Trucks blow past on the left and gun it and come over the lines a little as they pass.

Honestly, I am getting pretty sick of the negative attention, it's so distracting and unsafe. A positive state of mind can only take you so far when it keeps happening all around you. I resent being made to feel tense.. I just want to enjoy the ride!

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    His point was that you always see some dumbass super wannabe conservative type being very vocal about buying "American" cars and leaving the "Jap Crap" overseas or some nonsense of the like. Rarely do I see what you would call lefties doing the same thing then turning around and buying other crap that has been outsourced and from companies that lobby against regulations that protect the health or future of our citizens and environment. Go GM! :rolleyes: I'm not saying there are not hypocrites on in both camps, I'm just saying that bashing "foreign" cars in one breath then buying foreign goods from other sources is typical "righty" behavior.

As for the Prius Haters, let em hate. There will always be knuckle-draggers and hyper political nuts (on both sides) out there who want to hate on something whether it be cars, women's rights or racial equity we've seen it all and they will always find something to rail against.

7. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

maybe i'm missing something here, but i'm a conservative, and my Prius and my Kawasaki are both "technically" imports

my shoes are made in the USA, and so are my guns, but my skivvies are stamped made in China

regardless, some commodities are manufactured in the USA, and others are not

but even the imports were offloaded by Americans, transported to market by Americans, on American roads, in trucks filled with Diesel refined and pumped from American gas stations, and sold in a store here in America, by Americans (unless you live in SoCal like me, where being somewhat fluent in Espanol can come in right handy)

the right doesn't have the market in ignorance cornered
    and you have no idea of the political affiliation, or market philosophy of every pick-up driving A-hole

and from some of the posts i've read, it looks like Toyota doesn't have a problem selling the Prius to smug superior A-holes either

fwiw, Toyota also manufactures pick-up trucks

working men drive 'em sometimes ... and like i said, there's working men on the right, and there's working men on the left, and there's working men in the middle

you seem to know an awful lot about a person by the car they drive, based upon a story you read on the internet, posted by someone you ain't never met

i got a pick up truck, no shortage of guns, never preached a day in my life, and i don't drink ... you want to tell me something about me and who i'm putting in harms way?

8. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a lifelong Republican, conservative, and patriot. And, my political affiliations are well known amongst those who know me.

I actually had one small minded bigot tell me, just yesterday, that they were surprised that a Republican would drive a Prius!

I made a logical decision based on build quality, reputation, fuel economy, and comfort...oh, and throw value into the mix. What the heck does being left or right have to do with driving a certain type of car?!

Small minded bigots on both sides.

Chuck

4 people like this.
  9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make with regards to my post. I already addressed the fact there are idtios on both sides of the fence.

Ans yes, I know some people need trucks for work. I work with those people every day in the field and there are many times when I wish I still had mine. :) Hauling barbed-wire and 8' t-posts in the Prius can get things dirty real quick.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll give you all my 2 cents.

At the stage in my life, I believe that any attention with my Prius, is positive!

- I am only 22, but I look very young for my age. (People think I'm 16)
    - I am a REPUBLICAN living in CALIFORNIA (Bay Area) - Ok, other drivers don't know this but my friends find it interesting.

So, I absolutely LOVE it when I see people turn their heads and stare at me at a stop light. "Who's this kid in a Prius?" I know they're thinking. :D With that, I haven't experienced so much hate, as I have experienced surprise.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got that beat. I drove around Fairfield and Bay area yesterday in costume but from the shoulders up it looked like I was wearing a black shirt and a do-rag while bumpin' E-40/Akon in the Prius. I got some very curious stares indeed. lol

12. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i was responding to the suggestion that conservative wannabes bitch about buying "jap crap" then turn around and shop at Walmart buying cheap Chinese imports, but that rarely do you see "lefties doing the same thing."

i think we're in agreement that no one has the market cornered in a-holes

i feel we can have this discussion and leave our baggage or perceptions about political and philosophical affiliations out of it

i have plenty of leftist UAW's who bitch at me about my choice to buy a Japanese car, and they usually bitch at me when we're out riding out Japanese motorcycles

when i call 'em on it, they say if the USA made a worthy sport bike, they'd buy it ...

yeah, well when a US company makes the right car for my needs on the day i need it, then i'll buy it ... same thing right?

in the meantime, i bought a Prius, from a dealer in California, i know the guy, he's American, and he's rich ... all the salesmen and women and technicians on the lot live here in America too ... i don't see the problem

i don't have a problem with you either, i hope you didn't think that's what i was saying at all

again, i don't think someones political affiliation, income, skin-color, or any of those factors is relevant to whether or not they're a Prius hatin' A-hole ... haters are haters, they come in all stripes, and they suck ...

let's not be like them

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I can agree with ya there mate. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    when it comes to haters being those who compare their cars to ours, i notice the following: its infrequent that we on PC will consistently use a specific other car as a point of reference for a prius stat. I can't say the same for another hybrid forum...

15. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps they were trolls

16. 2010PriusV

2010PriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One day while heading to work I was pulling into my car pool parking area (Yes I car pool with 4 others as well as own a Prius) when an a$$hole in a Ford F-150 behind me blew his horn until I finally pulled into the parking lot. After he went by I pulled back out and watched him turn into the gas station just down the road. I immediately went down the road, pulled into the gas station, got out of the car, walked up to the jerk and asked him why he blew the horn. He said he wanted me to get the "F" out of his way. I being of bipolar mind ripped into him calling him every four letter word known to man and calling him on! He had nothing to say even though I belittled him in every way known. He was a hide behind the steering wheel Prius hater who found out that some of us won't put up with their $hit. I will not put up with these losers. I wrote down his license plate number and left him and his buddy standing there in shock.

1 person likes this.
  17. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just think it's truck and SUV driver mentality. It's not directed at a Prius, but any vehicle that stands between them and their destination.
    I experience A**hole drivers in pick ups and SUV's all the time in my 4 cylinder sedan.

18. unholy1

unholy1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Harassment of other drivers is unacceptable. Period.

Some of you "enlightened" people, however, seem to have a short attention span - Stereotype the redneck for stereotyping you.

19. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Had my first run-in yesterday on my way to work. At a stop sign I made a right turn towards the freeway onramp. A white pickup truck was about 200 feet to my left also heading towards the freeway onramp from the roadway I was turning on. I proceed quickly to the freeway, not racing, not moving in ECO mode, just normal civil driving...I get to the onramp in just a few seconds and in my rearview mirror a Ford grille fills my rear window...great...So, I push into power mode and accellerate to get moving even fast, much faster, in fact, than the car in front of me on the onramp also merging onto the freeway.

Now, there's a lot of construction in the area here, and this onramp is also undergoing changes. So, the merging is a bit tricky at times....morning traffic so I merge easily into the lane without any problems...and to my right, onto the sholder comes that white Ford pickup truck. The guy pulls along side me, way past the point he should have merged into traffic, and he's gesturing, yelling and his face looks like he's about to explode...

I gave him a ton of room all along the way. I did not cut him off. I can't help but wonder if I was in any other kind of vehicle if he would have been just fine with it- and that the Prius is just a vehicle that Ford owners have urged each other to hate?

I was SO tempted to call his employer (he works for a company that was clearly identified on the truck with corporate logos) and let them know they have a hothead behind the wheel of a company vehicle that really, really doesn't know how to drive safely and defensively and behave civily on the road...not great advertising for sure.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have experienced this, and the other forms of 'Prius-rage' in the recent posts here, in all my non-hybrids, including a Ford. But not yet in the Prius.

While the trucks are more memorable because of their intimidation factor, cars and even minivans are also quite guilty.