1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Haters?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Oct 18, 2009.

1. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another of my clients, just the other day, didn't notice when I pulled up in front of his store. When he looked out the window, he saw the Prius. First words out of his mouth were...haha, wonder who's the tree hugger?!

As I raised my hand.

Ah, living in a rural area...it can be fun. The look on his face was priceless.

Chuck

2. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scarey my butt lol I have had the haters lol helps to be a cop

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    tf4624, as a cop do you give preferential treatment to other prius drivers?
    I'd really like to know, this is a serious question.

4. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What you describe is Vehicle & Traffic Law known as 'The Aggressive Driver', and it is Very Illegal. Use some velcro to Mount a Video Camera on the dash, and just switch it on to record the losers, their license numbers, and their images from their side mirrors. Leave tape with formal complaint at police headquarters. That should 'fix' the problem nicely. Maybe 'suggest' the cops use a Prius once in awhile to identify such, " Aggressive Driving " law breakers. In New York State the police use video to record aggressive drivers, it works very nicely in court, and fines are Huge, and often include suspended licenses.

5. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I work in the lumber business, so I'm a 'Tree Murderer' from way back, and I drive a Prius. Tell them you're having a tough time locating a Gun Rack for the Prius, but may have to have it made to order. That oughta end the discussion.;)

6. chuckknight

chuckknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I *have* tried to find a gun rack for my Prius, ever since picking up a local gun club as a client. :)

No luck so far.

Chuck

7. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Hmm... I'd like a gun rack, too... but I tinted my windows so dark, no one would be able to see 'em. Plus, opsec dictates that you don't advertise that you are armed.

I do keep a handgun in the little pull out drawer in the center console. I like that little place because unless you know it's there, you'd never think there was a drawer there. A smash and grab thief probably wouldn't think about looking there.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I thought in New York they went "swimming with the fishes" in the east river with a call to Fat Tony? :D

9. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I never thought of my Prius as a politial statement or a sign of my intellect or lack of.

I've always hated having to buy gasoline... especially now that it's mostly imported from a lot of places that I really would rather not see my hard earned money flowing (about as political as I get on that subject). Since my transportation decisions have always focussed on mpg, quality (low repair rate), and fun to drive, the Prius just happened to be the best vehicle at the time to acheive that end.

During 4 + dollar a gallon gas, I watched a lot of people pay over a $100 per fill, and considering most had to do that more than once a week, it really amazed me. That event alone, took care of that "Prius Premium" I'd heard about.

All the cars I considered in 2005 were priced in the same range... so the "Premium" escaped me in the first place. If I could find a reasonably priced car that didn't use oil as a fuel, I'd move on to that.

Economy has had a great influence on what I drive. My most efficient oil burner was a 1979 Golf (Rabbit)manual TDi that got 53 to 55 mpg, and when fitted with Koni shocks and a decent wheel and tire combination, was actually fun to drive. I didn't like the high particulate content in the exhaust.

Since the mid 70s I have not had a car that achieved less than mid 30s to the 40s mpg. After a lifetime of commuting and travel, that has piled up some significant cash savings. If that's political, then so be it.

If someone prefers to pay more to travel or commuting, that's their decision. It would be great for our air and our balance of payments, if everyone used a vehicle that achieved great mileage.

The most expensive import, the one thing that produces the biggest cash flow out of our country, is fuel expenditure. That's treasure that moves elsewhere... away from us... out of our collective pockets... in huge volume to some other part of the world. Change or reverse that little feature, and maybe the economic condition of our country would be a little better?

Is this what makes non Prius drivers upset? I can't imagine that someone who chooses a large thirsty vehicle as primary transportation, would be very happy, especially after a trip to the local gas station. That has to hurt, even at 2 to 3 bucks a gallon.

But, let's posit the following- The more Prius drivers there are, the lower the fuel consumption rates are and the more supply that is available, so effectively (in theory), that should help keep fuel prices lower.

Shouldn't Prius drivers be thanked for that? Maybe we need to get the word out! :gossip: We are saving them big $$$$ !!!:rockon:

Feel the love, yet?

Rockstar and Chuck. like this.
  10. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a white VW that seems bent on overtaking me on my way to work. I meet the guy on the road about 2-3X a week and no matter what speed I am going, he moves into the other lane and passes me. Sometimes cutting other cars off in traffic in order to do so. I find it very funny as I usually meet him at the timed (hello?) light and pass him in the turning lane most days.

In fact after I turn off the road, I know the speed limit drops by 10 mph, so I actually wonder how many tickets he gets.

I have no proof this is due to my Prius or if he is just one of those "I gotta be first" guys.

Anyway, my Mama taught me to leave the crazy's alone so I will continue just watching my morning commute entertainment.