1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius head-on Accident

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 29, 2009.

1. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I seriously doubt a photographer at a multi fatality accident is thinking about how he/she can make a Prius look worse. They probably took a few quick pictures and then got the hell out of there before tossing their cookies (at least that's what I'd do if it was my assignment...).

2. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless you're driving along the edge of the Grand Canyon the proper response to a vehicle coming straight at you is to brake and move right. Completely off the road if necessary. Hitting almost any stationary object is better than a head-on crash.

3. Croft

Croft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps because I was adding to a previous comment about improved survivability? I this case I suspect the closing speeds were to high and therefore not survivable by the majority of the car occupants, though I suspect that the one that did survive is testament to the strength and crash worthiness of modern cars. They are also better at avoiding or mitigating accidents in the first place with features such as ABS and traction control almost commonplace, and pre collision systems now fast entering the market.

A rigorous inspection regime on older vehicles means that older cars that both have less safety features designed in as standard and whose components may have deteriorated since manufacture are phased out more quickly than they would otherwise as it becomes too costly to undertake the repairs necessary to keep them roadworthy. In the UK a stone chip (size and position are key) on the windscreen during a check of a 3 year old vehicle can mean it's taken off the road until it is repaired. This is what is checked - MOT check - MOT test information - as you can see it is quite extensive.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some professional driving courses teach you to brake, but stay in your lane. The problem with moving over is that often the oncoming car will head that way too, and you end up having a head-on collision on the side of the road. On the other hand, if they are simply drifting, you can't expect them to make an evasive move. Either method has it's advantages and risks. My instinct is to brake and move right, unless I am driving something very big, like a dump truck or bus.

Tom

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, here is the radical approach:

• Steer across the lane of the approaching truck onto the opposite shoulder and brake as hard as possible.
    • The trucker will have an "Oh SH*T" moment and steer into the left lane.
    • This will force the passing car that caused the situation off the road.
    • The truck may or may not jackknife and also stop ... if nothing else to change pants.
    • Call 911
    Now this is entirely counter intuitive but the two vehicles that were about to kill you will have a different set of problems. One should practice rapid lane changes before attempting.

Bob Wilson

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just a question relating to damage: were either of the vehicles cut apart for rescue? Often a sheared top is the result of an extraction effort.

Tom

7. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In this picture the Prius looks intact (though we know the drivers side is badly damaged) and the Cav looks like the entire frame was mangled, roof buckled and looks much worse. How camera angles can change things. This was a very violent crash.

8. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All methods have their problems. In this case if the driver crossing the center line and coming at you was falling asleep and suddenly awakens, say from your headlights suddenly being in his face, he will jerk his wheel to the right and follow you into his lane where the accident will now occur. If you survive and there are no other witnesses, you may well be charged with crossing the center line and causing the accident.

In addition I would not think it would be a good idea to potentially involve a 50,000 lb vehicle in what already is a dangerous life threatening situation.

There are really no good options here. You just have to choose the what you feel is the best of the poor choices for each incident.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They should also look into if the truckers are part of the cause as well. I have seen a**hole truckers that would speed up if you try to pass them.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normally, US regulation would not force removal of the former group, those which still meet their original design standards, however outdated. Attempts to change this mindset are effectively political suicide.

11. Croft

Croft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same in the UK, but these older vehicles are forced off the road as it becomes increasingly costly for their owners ensure that the car, as designed, remains roadworthy. Over the years the MOT has become ever more stringent and is accepted as part of motoring. The problem of course is those that chose to avoid getting an MOT, but then they can't get insurance either. MOT, insurance and license systems are now routinely cross checked, and police increasingly have ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras, both on cars and stationed at static locations, to catch those who are illegally driving.

A bit more 'on topic', during a defensive driving course I had to do with my company, I was told that motorways only account for 2-3% of fatalities on UK roads (as well as total accidents), as most vehicles are travelling in the same direction with little relative speed difference between them. the remaining 97/98% of fatalities are split between urban roads (because of the unusual angles that vehicles are hit at, eg side on) and country roads (because of high closing speeds, at legal speeds in the UK this could be up to a combined 120mph). From what I can see in this article the road on which this accident happened would appear to fall in the latter category - would that be a 45mph limit in the US, or vary by state?

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With the camera angles, it's hard to say what damage is rescue-related, especially to the Chevy, but it doesn't appear to be much. Note the yellow sheets and the fact that all but one victim were reported to be dead at the scene. Assuming bodies are still in the cars, the rescue crews still have more work to do.

The roof distortion is likely from the collision. If we do anything with the roof, we typically either cut through the A and B pillars and bend it back out of the way, kinda like partially removing the lid of a tin can, or cut through all pillars and remove it completely.

The right front doors on both cars are open. The Jaws of Life or other power tool might have been needed to pop them, especially the Chevy. Hard to tell with the Prius pic.

All the left side damage to the Prius appears to be from the collision, whereas we can't see the left side of the Chevy.

13. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So scary!!!!!!!

Which car had the survivor in it?

It really angers me that someone driving with an infant would do something so stupid.

14. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So Sad RIP....

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the US, all these systems vary by state. Many states no longer have inspections. (My former state fixed inspection corruption by abolishing the inspections.) Few states have any crosschecks between insurance and vehicle registration. And because insurance rates are much more strongly a function of driver behavior than of vehicle condition, the costs typically do not increase with vehicle age.

Speed limits vary by state. That road could easily have a 65 mph limit in California, and their speed limit compliance is very poor. Their divided highways can be 75 mph for cars. Trucks are capped at 55 mph throughout the state.

It has a wider shoulder than one 65 mph road I travel in my state, though that speed is unusual for two-way roads here. Trucks are capped at 60 mph here. But like many states, we have very few trucks, and a lot of 18- to 26-wheel cars.:mad:

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Using Google Map, I 'drove' the road and it is posted '55 mph.' But it is so flat and so straight, I doubt anyone is driving 55 mph. The road surface shows evidence of patching.

Bob Wilson

17. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Your remark brings to mind an "Ad Campaign" prevalent of late here in Indiana ... warning US -- drivers of autos -- to make sure we have at least one-car-length-per-10-mph between us and a big rig before we get directly in front of them; such as after having passed them on the open road.

NEVER MIND the fact that they're seemingly riding on our a**e* whenever we happen to be driving only 7 mph over the posted speed limit ... which, in MANY states, is 12 mph over THEIR posted speed limit ...

18. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't get why people/Laws don't fix this situation. I belive that.

1. They have a speed limit of no more than 55, and the second time they get a ticket they should be banned from driving for a living. This will save billions of gallons of fuel and thousands of lives. Also this would bring up there wages as it would be harder to find good drivers so they will have to pay more to get good drivers.

2. Make it illegal for them to be paid by the trip or any way that would encorage them to speed. With a one million dollar fine to any company that encorages speeding or a bonus system that pays more to the drivers for getting to there distanation faster than the speedlimit/ traffic allows.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i nearly got clipped on a curve a couple months ago- the other driver wasn't paying attention to the fact that there was a curve, wound up head on in my lane. i wound up in the ditch. no time to look- i'm glad i didn't hit some unsuspecting bicyclist. no mailboxes either, but that's fairly inconsequential in comparison.

i don't think trucks are all of the problem. i'm in lafayette as well, and there are plenty of trucks on the road on my daily commute. the major traffic hazard seems to be people trying to get past the trucks because they're slow to get going when the light turns green. though it would be nice if trucks observed traffic courtesy and got in the right lane on 4-lane roads.

(though coming from a much larger city, i'm used to very different traffic.)

20. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Italy driving was so much different. People actually pass on the left and then return to the right....novel idea ;)

I have a small side road that is slightly curved on my 2 mile commute to work and people are totally rude about not staying on their side of the lines....like where do they think I am going to go??
    Here in La Mesa we have had some road work done where 3 lanes of used to be divided with 2 straight and 1 for the right turn lane. Now one goes straight and 2 go to the right. People are turning right into the other person's lane, going straight from the (left) right turn lane......and this with two large orange signs 1/4 mile before the turn as well as road markings and highly visible signage at the light. People simply are getting stupider all the time.....you cannot make it any simpler!