Prius Headlight Bulb

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Javierz0509, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM.

1. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I am thinking of upgrading my headlight buld to something brighter so the question is HID or LED bulbs?
    also will this hurt my mpg?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    HID, negligible effect.

3. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

H11 bulb type right?

thinking of going with 55w 5000k

#3 Javierz0509, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:24 PM
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM
  4. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Really?

It's like day and night to me. Go with DDM 55w 4500 higher end version and you won't look back.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was responding to their inquiry on effect on mpg, not light output. SMH

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    H11b, make sure the ground wire is opposite the largest tab on the base of the bulb. Getting the wrong type of H11 bulb will result in ground wire shadows in front of the vehicle.

1500261814354.jpg

7. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    HIDs = brightest option and no humanly noticeable effect on MPG

However, I don't think brightness is a problem with the H11 oem bulbs of the prius C...it's more the height of the projectors/car (heck most trucks/suvs have higher positioned fogs than the prius C's lowbeams).

IMO, no matter how bright the bulb/HID you put in you'll never improve the cutoff (barely 20 or so feet ahead before the projectors cutoff), unless you go and adjust your projectors. If you don't change the position of the projectors, you're just going to create a bright foreground against a dark background (I'm sure everyone has walked into a dark room from a bright room...takes your eyes to adjust) and if you change your projectors..you'll probably just piss off other drivers.

But to each their own...Some people I know put in HIDs, but complain about driving in inclement weather because they can't see due to their brightness/temperature color, I just put in modified fogs and aim them a little bit higher than my lowbeams cutoff (to eliminate the cutoff a little bit, maybe look a little cooler with a lot of bling lights, and piss others off, but they still can't say because it's my fogs...and I can still actually see quite nicely & widely in inclement/good weather), but fogs could be illegal in your locality (depending on inclement weather), but I don't think most cops care anyways (and I'm sure everyone's seen those police SUV headlights...man they are bright and probably the light that you want...it for the most part lets me know that a cop is approaching in front at night).