1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by philipc, Jul 9, 2018.

1. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base

I have a 2006 Prius whose driver side low beam has gone out (low beam on passenger side & high beam on both sides work). I've been read the forums looking at how to replace the bulb and what type of bulb I needed and once i called the dealership to start getting prices got confused so hopefully someone can lend a hand.

1) Does this issue sound like possibly just the fuse (i've kind of ruled out the relay as its only one side) and should be checking that first or can these single bulbs light up under the different use cases (Low vs high beam)?

2) From my research I *thought* i needed HID bulbs as post #3 06 pruis headlight failure. How to fix? | PriusChat says if you have fog lights then you have HID bulbs (i do have fog lights). When the dealership looked up my car he informed me that i just needed the halogen bulb as their system was not letting him select the HID bulbs. Could this be true?

3) When i asked him if there was a way to double check which bulb it was he told me to look for the ballast and that its just in the engine bay. From the repair manuals i have it appears that the ballast (also known as the headlamp light control computer??) is encased in the head light assembly and wont be visible on its own. Is there a good way of telling which bulbs are needed before i go removing the current bulb?

Thanks in advance.

2. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you can get to the back of the headlight, the HIDs have a large plastic cap over the back of the bulb, Halogen has the wires and the back of the lamp socket.
    pic of Halogen:
    [​IMG]

#3 ITBland, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    philipc likes this.
  4. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks, the lookup doesnt really help as it only give me the fact its a 2006 Prius which was apparently first used "January 01, 0001"... i guess because it was a Canadian car (also cant get dealer service records this way...).

Looking at the Standard and optional Equipment for a 2006 in Canada i dont see HID listed as a option on any of the packages (Mines a "package C" from the listed options i have), although it doesn't seem to be listed for any model year in Canada. I think i might have to go digging in the car but its looking more like its just the halogen.

5. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a video with the back of the HID headlamp:
    (Look at 6 minute mark)

6. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't you have a manual? At the last pages one can see the bulbs, fuses, tire pressure, fluid volumes...

With your VIN you can do a search here:
    TOYOTA PRIUSNHW20L-AHEEBW - ELECTRICAL - HEADLAMP | Japan Parts EU

In "Electrical" "Headlamp" you can find the original part number and a symbolic pic of the bulb.
    And google should find more, searching after the part number.

philipc and ITBland like this.
  7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try this:
    Prius_LookupPackage.png
    Look at the bottom of the page for the Owner's site (where you can get service records, at least for the US).
    Prius_BottomofPage.JPG

Thanks @MickyMatter , that is a VERY helpful site! (y)

#7 ITBland, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018
    MickyMatter likes this.
  8. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As you said, according to this post: Installed OEM HID's on Canadian Non-HID Prius HIDs were not offered in Canada (In the US fog lights are always installed with HID.)

So, sorry for all the extra information, the simple answer was: No HID in Canada, only Halogen headlamps.
    In the US that looks like Toyota part number: 90084-98033
    Or a standard 9003 bulb.
    YMMV.

#9 ITBland, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    philipc likes this.
  10. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ah perfect missed that thread while looking I must have been too specific in my search as originally didnt even think that HID wouldn't have been a option in Canada. I'll go buy the regular halogen (i'm honestly surprised they've lasted the 12 years) and if its wrong i'll figure it out once i'm in there.

Thanks again

Thanks for the link.

I also just double check the manual (had last night but you miss things at night), and at least in mine it makes no mention of bulbs of any sort.

#10 philipc, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2018
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Canadian spec cars never got HIDs as an option.

If you have nav, it's a package C.

Could be as simple as a bulb replacement. The headlights are a dual filament bulb so if the low is out but the high works, it's probably just the low beam filament that broke. Did you try a simple headlight bulb replacement?

12. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not in chapter 9 "Specifications" but in chapter 8.3 "Do it yourself maintenance"
    There should be a list of all the lamps at page 305 ±x
    But I see, it shows both types of headlights and won't help you much this time.

13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    By the way if you did have HID headlights the ballast is in the bottom of the headlight assembly.

The headlight assembly has to be removed to replace it. Being in the bottom of the headlight assembly it doesn't like water and shorts out.

philipc likes this.
  14. philipc

philipc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yup just did a simple headlight replacement and everything is fine now. Was just double checking first before ordering a new HID bulb online as locally it would have been over $100/bulb vs the $70 online.

Thankfully in my case they were just halogen and got replace for <$30 for two and 20 minutes of work.

Thanks all.

Tideland Prius likes this.