1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Heartbreak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 90miler, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does he have a small amount of money saved up from his job? While painful in the short term a long term lesson maybe understood ;)?

Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  2. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips, Prius Pete! I'll look for some YouTubes on the Prius quick struts.

3. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Long story. That would have been my Plan A. Thanks, though.

jerrymildred and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems likely that any such funds would have evaporated from the previous two pickup mishaps.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your new car looks exactly like mine!

jerrymildred and Data Daedalus like this.
  6. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Pete, what's your assessment of the cheap all-in-one quick struts? Are you satisfied? I've already bought a pair, but haven't looked to see where they were made. The feedback for them on eBay was very positive.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In defense of the "Mods"?
    At least somebody took the ugly wheel covers off....

8. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It doesn't surprise me that Its still drivable. Reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson that tried soo hard to destroy a Hilux but it was still drivable. #LeanManufacturing

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a heart breaker. I try to always keep my hand over the end of the wrench, any time I"m near the glass. Even doing something like replacing windshield wiper blades, it's just too easy, to remove the blade assembly and thwack the arm back down on the glass.

When I was in the Navy: one time we had to unload all the "bullets" for a refuelling. Experienced hands cautioned everyone: whenever carrying a bullet, keep your hand over the tip.

Prius Pete likes this.
  10. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't realize yet that the wipers had to come off. Thanks for the heads up. At least I have removal tool.

And now they have been removed from my replacement Prius. Cleaned up the alloy wheels really good afterwards. Looks so much better!

Yes, Prii are tough. Hey, if anyone has any tips on safety related things to check behind the bumper post-collision, I'd be interested. The airbags did not deploy.

eman08 likes this.
  11. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I fixed my own airbag recall with TechStream as all it needed was a recalibration. I'm surprised yours didn't deploy unless it wasn't a hard enough impact to set it off.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. Prius Pete

Prius Pete Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've only had them on for a few weeks. They are still fine. I installed some wheel bearings (hubs) from the same seller (primechoice in Canada) and they are still fine after 50000 km. I have 305000 km and I hope to keep the car till 400000. I only need the parts to last until then. I figure struts and bearings are commodity items and the Chinese can make them perfectly well.

Not only do you have to take off the wipers, you also need to remove the metal cowling under the wipers. There are a couple of youtubes detailing the entire process. There are also instructions on PriusChat on how to install the shocks (not the all-in-one struts). Just skip all the steps about compressing springs.

13. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If he can turn a good coin on the sale maybe he can get himself a nice huffy and some Nikes. Adults and kids alike need to suffer to learn

14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was thinking the same, I never got a hand me down anything, had to work from age 16 and saved for my first $400 car AND pay my own insurance plus repairs... i would get this one a bus pass and wish him well..

15. 90miler

90miler Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in your camp! It's a case of failure to launch here. I want him pushed out so he can realize one has to pull his own weight if he wants to eat. It's a bit complicated, though, for reasons I won't get into here on PC. Got home last night from an extended weekend trip with the wife. Left him instructions to NOT DRIVE the vehicle until I get the new struts installed, other than the trip directly to work & back home. This is because the misalignment is causing very rapid wear on the front tires, of course. Work is a 20 mile trip each way. He worked 2 days. Got home after 4 days, he had logged 340 miles! I'm trying really hard here to control my blood pressure (sorry, that probably belongs on a different forum site).

16. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of us are parents and understand. However, this is getting out of hand. Seems like some tough love is warranted. Keys would be gone and as hard as it might be, he'd need to find his own way to work, or pay you to drive him there. What are the consequences for ignoring your request? He has no respect for property, as consistently demonstrated by his actions.

I'd say he needs to install the struts, AND pay for new tires.

#36 peecee, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Data Daedalus and N.J.PRIUS like this.
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Possibly one of the toughest situations any parent faces. You need to push, but fear pushing too hard. How hard is hard enough and will it work anyway? Tough, tough times.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like he has trouble listening to instructions (not using a busted car and still logging 340 miles). Glad to hear he's safe though and you're able to get a new Prius. It looks to be in fantastic condition (even the paint is shining through my computer monitor).

You have to find a way to let him know that the use of a household vehicle is a privilege and not a right. When I was younger, I earned the privilege to use the vehicle by respecting the (sometimes early) curfew and of course getting into zero collisions. This meant no claims on my parents' insurance or out-of-pocket expenses which meant they trusted me with their own vehicle.

Data Daedalus and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    shame he cant be trusted... take the keys away, tires off the car and find him a nice bike on craigs list.. my father started charging me rent at 20, for my 21 Bday he gave it all back and told me to find an apartment within 30 days... tough "love" or just a Bass-turd.. either way it was for the best, its a shame he doesn't respect you when you are trying to help.. best of luck..

20. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Brings to mind when I graduated college my old man told me: "Don't even think of returning home after graduation." Probably the best thing that could have happened as you are on your own. Rented a room as my 1st position was "management trainee" which did not pay much!