1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius hits motorcyclists on Freeway

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The reasons the Prius would be mentioned is San Diego is ground zero for Toyota 'problems.' But at least it was an accurate identification. Last year, a "Prius" turned out to be a Corolla when we looked at the photos.

As for lower rates, they also come from cars being 'repairable' versus 'totalled.' Accident avoidance in a pool of Prius converts:

• fatalities -> injuries
    • injuries -> bumps
    • bumps -> close calls
    • total vehicle loss -> repairable
    • repairable -> close calls
    Now whether or not I get an insurance discount depends upon how crafty I am when I negotiate next year's policies. But without it, I have no leverage. In fact, none of us have leverage.

Bob Wilson

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sure Toyota would have done that if it made business sense to do so. Very few people would buy a II with the $5,180 Advanced Technology package when they could get a base V for the same price. Most would prefer eye candy over safety.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The numerous safety features (deployed airbags, collapsible frontal, etc.) make the repairs more expensive and the vehicle more likely to be totaled. Like I said, the PCS is most likely to be triggered when you're about to actually hit something so I don't think it'll fly as a negotiation tool.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If, as you claim, no one will choose safety over 'eye candy' then it won't cost Toyota anything to offer a safety package, as they never have to build one into the car.

If, as I suspect, Prius owners value safety, (I believe Prius owners are involved in 1/2 as many fatal accidents per mile as the national average) the safety package would sell in high numbers, making Toyota both money and PR points.

I had a Chrysler dealer explain that he never ordered any safety options on any cars as he never sold any safety options. Given that he had none to sell, I bet he didn't sell any. I went to another dealer.

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's standard practice. They do that with all accidents if you pay attention. I think it's partly to identify the different parties involved in the accident without using names, to protect the (presumed) innocent.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bob, the Prius radar is not as effective as you may believe. A human won't be detected. A motorcycle, maybe, but I doubt it. When Bambi crossed my bow just clear of my bumper (from my POV) the car didn't flinch and I didn't see it until it was in front of my left headlight.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have no illusions about these 1st generation systems. The absence of a standard that car manufactures need to meet is the first problem. However, I see it like the evolution of the Prius:

• 1997-2000 - NHW10 used cell-based traction battery and had internal seals keeping the stators dry. But the basic architecture was available, if only in Japan, and established a baseline.
    • 2001-2003 - NHW11 introduced improved traction battery, improved electronics and 'wet' stators. A lot of significant improvements with a few "opps" like the wiper based, accelerator and steering sensors. Also, no one really knew how the prismatic battery would work ... good enough but weak terminals.
    • 2004-2009 - NHW20 refined the NHW11 with improved electronics and use of Hall effect sensors. A much more spacious vehicle, it was a big advance although the frame was a little 'flexi.'
    • 2010-current - ZVW30 further improved electronics, more space, and stiffer frame. The brake system was redesigned and though it needed a software tweak, is more impressive. A long list of new car features that significantly improved the efficient speed ranges.
    So I look at these accident avoidance systems as the way to go, especially with an aging, driving population. Older eyes, slower reaction times, and joint limited movement, whatever can be done to give the driver an assist makes a lot of sense. The journey needs to start and the larger the test sample, the faster lessons learned can be applied to improve these systems.

Bob Wilson

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another option is all that expensive, shelved SDI technology. Maybe some sort of rail gun or laser cannon that vaporizes any object that gets in your way

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Force field, perhaps. In my daydreams, my Prius has a field generator that projects an infinitely massive field around my Prius while not adding any real mass to the car, allowing me to conveniently drive *through* knucklehead drivers without losing even a single mpg.

Tom

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good grief! Next we'll start chatting about cars that get better than 50 MPG even in City driving with room for five adults and day bags and 0-60 mph in just under 10 seconds. What next, some sort of fancy computer controlled brakes that won't skid and keep the car going in the direction the driver is steering?

Bob Wilson

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, no, no. Let's be reasonable here. Mass altering force fields are one thing, but that car you describe is complete fantasy.

Tom

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All while emitting just enough tachyons to render them sterile *and* impotent

1 person likes this.
  13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thereby solving the immediate problem *and* future problems.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  14. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is one of my pet peeves, because it is the ultimate in avoidable crashes.

I ran over an aluminum ladder on a 8 lane freeway in a Tacoma at 65mph. I did not see it until too late as the cars in front of me dodged out of the way at the last moment. It was sideways across the lane. The Tacoma had large off road tires so I managed to go straight over without damage or flipping, but it would have been a death sentence for a motorcycle.

The doofus who lost it had backed up on the shoulder to wait for an opportunity to run out and recover it. He was probably upset I ran over it.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would have backed up and ran over it AGAIN just to get the doofus really upset

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have guessed either of two other motives:
    (1) remove it before it causes damage to someone else; or
    (2) remove it before the police can collect it as evidence.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Can such systems allow some drivers to text and engage in other non-driving activities since they now can depend on the system to cover their gaps in providing full attention? (Just like improved football helmets allowed players to collide with more violence, not really make football safer.)

How many insist on having a cell phone for "emergencies" while driving? Have cell phones made driving safer?

Interesting questions.